• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RitchieBro

Reaction score

Those look pretty awesome to me. Regular wear will bring more of the oils to the surface, which increases the glow. You could also try some saphir or AE cordovan cream to moisturize it. But if it were me, I would just wear and enjoy until the shine develops naturally.

My Parks were cloudy when I first got them but are starting to glow nicely now.

I know what you mean by cloudy, and this is different....the skin on the right toe is noticeably rough textured and I can see like the enlarged pores in the skin, while the left is very smooth and slick and shiny. The texture of the rough patch won't get more smooth, will it?

jjr4884

Reaction score
Hello all - new to the Forum, was excited to find a place like this.

Was saddened to see that my favorite Monk, the Norwich, is going away. On my second pair - will need to quickly add another pair.

(Please excuse my poor shine today!)

Do you use shoe trees when you aren't wearing them? Luckily AE can still recraft them, and from my experience, for $125, they bring the shoe to an almost new condition.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know what you mean by cloudy, and this is different....the skin on the right toe is noticeably rough textured and I can see like the enlarged pores in the skin, while the left is very smooth and slick and shiny. The texture of the rough patch won't get more smooth, will it?

Oh I see. That could be a lasting defect. Cordovan is notoriously difficult to last properly. Does it look like this?

I'm not sure if there's sone kind of care regimen that can alleviate that. Maybe a shell expert can chime in, like @mdubs

kentyman

Reaction score
Oh I see. That could be a lasting defect. Cordovan is notoriously difficult to last properly.

Sounds like "pitting", which I thought was something that some shell just has.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do the sandersons fit? Does it run slightly wide and long? Wondering if I can wear an 8D if I can wear an 8E amok. Guessing not.

Guessing the macneil is slightly shorter than the PA, right?

guccihomme

Reaction score

Any pair of shoes that you own can be anywhere from 3 months old, to a year or two, especially the well known models where you might have an uncommon size or if you are purchasing cordovan which is clearly not purchased/manufactured nearly as quickly as calfskin.

With that being said, the leather can dry out a bit after a certain amount of time.  It won't hurt the leather, however if you have shoes that are not properly conditioned and the leather doesn't have the moisture it needs from a good application of renovateur, the vamps will be prone to cracking easier as the leather is too dry.  Better to be safe than sorry, besides, who doesn't enjoy getting a fresh pair of shoes with no wear on them and spending some time with the brush. 

Its like getting a brand new car and hand waxing her.  Better than what you get from the factory any day of the week.

As far as the "crease" free toes, I will say one thing, I am religious about something being in my shoes at all times.  If it isn't my foot, its a shoe tree.  I'll post up a pic of my shell strands later if I have the ability to.  No one will believe me that they are 3 years old with a good amount of usage.  The vamps have almost zero crease, still, after easily over 100 wears.  God I love those shoes.

Awesome info! Thanks.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like "pitting", which I thought was something that some shell just has.

I understood that pitting was the result of the shell not heating to the correct temperature during lasting.

However, it is higher probable that I understood wrong, as with most things cordovan...

kentyman

Reaction score
I understood that pitting was the result of the shell not heating to the correct temperature during lasting.

However, it is higher probable that I understood wrong, as with most things cordovan...

You very well may be right! Here's everything I know about pitting from a thread about the toes of my Patriots. Interestingly, @New Shoes1 had the same problem with his. However, if it was a lasting problem, I would expect that problem to be more common where the shell is stretched around the last. I also have a pitted area on the heel of my Daltons. Maybe I should take a picture to share.

[...] The final problem is the one I'm most concerned about. I noticed that both shoes have significant pitting on the toes, just in front of where the first crease would go:

Is this at all normal? I was surprised that they both have it in the same place. Could this actually be some physical damage? Any chance I could work on them and clear it up? The pits actually look big enough that I don't see a good way I could fix it. Let me know what you think.
[...] Re the toe pits. That's probably why they are seconds. Unlikely to go away. I have a pair of brown shell patriots with a little of that on one of the toes, and it has never lessened. I imagine it's just part of the individual shell that they used. You need to make a decision about whether it will bother you enough to return and try again, or if they are good.
My brown shell Patriots were seconds and have the pitting as well. I found that getting the polish off and brushing the shoes made it less noticeable. Doesn't bother me at all now.
Here is a picture straight out of the box. You can see the rough patch on the toe.

Here's a more recent one.

It's still there, but not as noticeable. I assume the frequent brushing smoothed it down some.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do the sandersons fit? Does it run slightly wide and long? Wondering if I can wear an 8D if I can wear an 8E amok. Guessing not.

Guessing the macneil is slightly shorter than the PA, right?

Regarding the Sanderson, I find it to have a longer looking "snoot" and therefore looks longer, but seems to have the same ball to heel length as my 5 last AE's. It most definitely is not wider. However, I find it tolerant of my high instep.

I think it is a great looking show, though it is past time to head home and take them off.

RitchieBro

Reaction score

You very well may be right! Here's everything I know about pitting from a thread about the toes of my Patriots. Interestingly, @New Shoes1
 had the same problem with his. However, if it was a lasting problem, I would expect that problem to be more common where the shell is stretched around the last. I also have a pitted area on the heel of my Daltons. Maybe I should take a picture to share.

This is pretty much how the leather on the right shoe toe cap looks; I think it must be permanent and will never shine like the left toe cap. Don't think I can live with it, so will send em back and try again. Bummer....

Zzen

Reaction score
Anyone know when the next legit AE sale is? I am still looking for the right burgundy pair and wonder if I should wait if a sale is on the horizon. I am leaning towards the oxblood strand for wear primarily with slacks/sportcoat and the occasional suit day when the black PAs are not necessitated. $250 seconds just isn't that sexy.

The merlot Mcallister seemed like it might fit the bill better for my needs, but the shoe didn't fancy my foot and dug into one of my ankles. Strange since the 5 last fits great with the PA / Strand.

Which shade of burgundy do you guys find more versatile: merlot or oxblood? Personally I think the oxblood is more striking, but I have never rocked burgundy before.

Last edited:

htjouster

Reaction score

Regarding the Sanderson, I find it to have a longer looking "snoot" and therefore looks longer, but seems to have the same ball to heel length as my 5 last AE's. It most definitely is not wider. However, I find it tolerant of my high instep.

I think it is a great looking show, though it is past time to head home and take them off.

Agree that the Sandersons certainly aren't wide. I find mine to be a little more cramped in the forward part of the toe box than my 5-last shoes. My understanding is that they're on a custom RL last similar to the 2-last.

RitchieBro

Reaction score

Oh I see. That could be a lasting defect. Cordovan is notoriously difficult to last properly. Does it look like this?

I'm not sure if there's sone kind of care regimen that can alleviate that. Maybe a shell expert can chime in, like @mdubs

Yes it looks very similar to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads