• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a new pair of shoes during the Made in America sale. I currently own:

Allen Edmonds:
Black Cliftons
Brown Fifth Avenue
Chili Dalton boots
Brown McGraw loafers
Merlot Chester wingtips

Non-Allen Edmonds shoes
Black oxfords
brown and black Johnston & Murphy bluchers
black wingtips (old and worn; I basically only wear them in bad weather)

I am looking to add a pair of shoes that can go from "day to night" -- that I can wear with a suit to my business-formal government office, but wear out to a bar afterwards without looking too stuffy. Can anybody recommend a pair? I am thinking of the McGregors in either bourbon or walnut, but am open to other suggestions, in part because I think that, when worn casually, they might be too similarly detailed to my Daltons. I'm a bit concerned that walnut (which I think looks terrific with jeans and cords) might look a little too casual with a navy suit and trad-ish tie.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a new pair of shoes during the Made in America sale. I currently own:

Allen Edmonds:
Black Cliftons
Brown Fifth Avenue
Chili Dalton boots
Brown McGraw loafers
Merlot Chester wingtips

Non-Allen Edmonds shoes
Black oxfords
brown and black Johnston & Murphy bluchers
black wingtips (old and worn; I basically only wear them in bad weather)

I am looking to add a pair of shoes that can go from "day to night" -- that I can wear with a suit to my business-formal government office, but wear out to a bar afterwards without looking too stuffy. Can anybody recommend a pair? I am thinking of the McGregors in either bourbon or walnut, but am open to other suggestions, in part because I think that, when worn casually, they might be too similarly detailed to my Daltons. I'm a bit concerned that walnut (which I think looks terrific with jeans and cords) might look a little too casual with a navy suit and trad-ish tie.

The Bleeker Street seems day to night flexible;
new, different, a touch of added support for day to night wear...
and many who have seen them in person have a pair in closet. :)

Olifter

Reaction score

Does anyone have any experience with AE belts. While I have 30 pairs of AE shoes, I don't own 1 belt. I just ordered 3 of the Manistee Belts (brown, burgundy and walnut) and a Cottonwood Olive Distressed Belt. Am I going to be happy with this almost $400 order???

I think you'll be happy. I have 4 of the Manistee Belts (brown, walnut, burgundy and black). They go perfectly with Strands and the Lexington. I'm ordering some brown shell PAs and when I pick them up I'll probably try to find one of their dress belts to match.

delmar

Reaction score
I got the Bombay and agree with everyone that AE is great. They are pricey though so I've been looking at other places for my more simple ones.
I have three AE belts. Black, brown, and a casual styled belt in the football type leather that I got at the Port Washington store for a closeout price of $16.95. I like them all--nice heavy high quality buckles.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it would be too short...go 10.5 D

how do the shaker heights fit? I'm a 10E on the 5 last. Will I fit well in a 10D in the Shaker Heights?

I'm a 10.5 3E on the 5 last and went with the same on the Shakers. I didn't find it too short. Length was spot on. However, it's quite wide. I think I could have taken a 10.5 E.

AldenKappa

Reaction score

The Bleeker Street seems day to night flexible;
new, different, a touch of added support for day to night wear...
and many who have seen them in person have a pair in closet. :)

Walked in for a pair of 5th avenues and headed out with the chili Bleeker Streets.... Awesome had them on today. Comfortable out of the box and sharp and versatile

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a new pair of soles for my RL Sandersons. Went with Dainite since I tore through the leather ones. Went through B Nelson. Stitching isn't perfect but does the job. Should make these harder wearing in the rain.

tradbrah

Reaction score
A couple questions:

Does anyone know what last the Sixth Avenue is on?

What shoe should I add to my rotation?

Current rotation:
Walnut Strands
Walnut Clifton
Brown Park Avenue
Burgundy long wing (different brand)
Dark brown cordovan shortwing (different brand)
Tan penny loafer (different brand)

I am thinking of adding either the Sixth Avenue in chestnut or McGregor in Bob's Chili. Or if anyone has any other suggestions, let me hear them. I'm not a boot person. Business casual (chinos or cotton/wool dress pants and dress shirts).

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a new pair of soles for my RL Sandersons. Went with Dainite since I tore through the leather ones. Went through B Nelson. Stitching isn't perfect but does the job. Should make these harder wearing in the rain.

My Addisons are my most worn pair of AE's and they have Dainite soles...the soles have held up well and I am somewhere around just guessing 50 wears in perhaps more since May. Wear them sockless and have been happy...every so often recently though it feels like there is more pressure than normal on my toes, almost like they are getting hot from the transfer of friction from the sole to my foot...As if there was cork there and it scattered to some other spots..I do not even know if they use cork when using dainite..I guess they do.

My overall guess is that the dainite is finally breaking in and becoming more flexible as it is without a doubt less flexible that a standard leather sole. Thus putting pressure where it was not prior. I am sure it will pass.

For overall comfort though nothing has yet to come close to the Butyl sole on my 3 pairs Neumoks.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find dainite to take much longer to break in than leather soles. 50 wears is a lot for break in!
and yes, butyl soles are nice! although they wear faster than JR soles, but no worse than standard leather

My Addisons are my most worn pair of AE's and they have Dainite soles...the soles have held up well and I am somewhere around just guessing 50 wears in perhaps more since May. Wear them sockless and have been happy...every so often recently though it feels like there is more pressure than normal on my toes, almost like they are getting hot from the transfer of friction from the sole to my foot...As if there was cork there and it scattered to some other spots..I do not even know if they use cork when using dainite..I guess they do.

My overall guess is that the dainite is finally breaking in and becoming more flexible as it is without a doubt less flexible that a standard leather sole. Thus putting pressure where it was not prior. I am sure it will pass.

For overall comfort though nothing has yet to come close to the Butyl sole on my 3 pairs Neumoks.

I don't mind the long break in. I'm pretty sure I wore out the original soles on the toe of these in less than 75 wears. They were originally double butyl soles I belive.

I've learned my lesson that I need to get metal the taps for all my shoes now.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, were you exceptionally hard on them with frequent wear? The double leather sole seems pretty darn solid on mine. It would take some work to get to the point where they needed a re-sole.

Either way, nice to see them getting some wear! One of my favorite AE (RL) shoes ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads