• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, were you exceptionally hard on them with frequent wear?  The double leather sole seems pretty darn solid on mine.  It would take some work to get to the point where they needed a re-sole.

Either way, nice to see them getting some wear!  One of my favorite AE (RL) shoes ever.

The bottoms were fine but I strike the heel and toes of my shoes very hard I guess. I actually had to replace the heels once as the rubber dovetail piece was wearing down to the sole. The toe then got close to the welt.

I wore them as beaters first since I got them as seconds for $129, but then they became one of my favorites. I spent more in the dainite conversion than I paid for the shoes!

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Do you guys know if the Macneil and the Sanford fit the same? I believe they are on the same last but as we know not all shoes on the same last fit the same.

thanks.

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, were you exceptionally hard on them with frequent wear?  The double leather sole seems pretty darn solid on mine.  It would take some work to get to the point where they needed a re-sole.

Either way, nice to see them getting some wear!  One of my favorite AE (RL) shoes ever.

The bottoms were fine but I strike the heel and toes of my shoes very hard I guess. I actually had to replace the heels once as the rubber dovetail piece was wearing down to the sole. The toe then got close to the welt.

I wore them as beaters first since I got them as seconds for $129, but then they became one of my favorites. I spent more in the dainite conversion than I paid for the shoes!

Funny how that works as my Addisons were bought as as a no warranty purchase do to prior owner slapping tongue pads in..the price was ridiculous low on the bay and they easily are my most worn shoe

epc2

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have no exp. with Dainite soles and I keep hearing commnets about them being hard to break in etc., Comfort is priority for me , I have my eye on a casual makeup that comes with Dainite so will like to hear your opinons on comfort,grip etc.

TIA.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Guys,

I have no exp. with Dainite soles and I keep hearing commnets about them being hard to break in etc., Comfort is priority for me , I have my eye on a casual makeup that comes with Dainite so will like to hear your opinons on comfort,grip etc.

TIA.

It's not a soft, squishy rubber comfort doke, that's for sure.

It wears slightly harder than JR leather, in my experience. Can feel slightly like walking on cleats until you've worn it down some.

Having said that, if you want a thin dress sole profile and need something that holds up to pavement and wet conditions better than leather (though it's not a particularly grippy rain or snow sole), then Dainite is cool. I have three pairs with them.

Last edited:

epc2

Reaction score

It's not a soft, squishy rubber comfort doke, that's for sure.

It wears slightly harder than JR leather, in my experience. Can feel slightly like walking on clears until you've worn it down some.

Having said that, if you want a thin dress sole profile and need something that holds up to pavement and wet conditions better than leather (though it's not a particularly grippy rain or snow sole), then Dainite is cool. I have three pairs with them.

Thanks for the info , sounds like it's less comfortable than leather,I thought it was similar to a mini lug or crepe, being rubber but looks like that's not the case.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info , sounds like it's less comfortable than leather,I thought it was similar to a mini lug or crepe, being rubber but looks like that's not the case.

No, it's much harder than Vibram rubber. Not a comfort sole. More like a leather sole replacement.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know if the Macneil and the Sanford fit the same? I believe they are on the same last but as we know not all shoes on the same last fit the same.

thanks.
1/2 size down for the macneil for me.

slimjohnil6

Reaction score
Bummed right now -- my AE Shell Leeds were waiting for me when I arrived home. When I laced them to be just 'snug' - the two ends were almost touching. I think I must have a low instep. I have had to use tongue pads on my closed laced shoes (Strands, Cambridges), but was hoping that these bluchers would have enough of a gap to be OK. If the two laced sides are almost touching new, I can only imagine that they'll stretch a bit, rendering the shoe too wide for me. Guess the 5 last fits me better than 1.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bummed right now -- my AE Shell Leeds were waiting for me when I arrived home.  When I laced them to be just 'snug' - the two ends were almost touching.  I think I must have a low instep.  I have had to use tongue pads on my closed laced shoes (Strands, Cambridges), but was hoping that these bluchers would have enough of a gap to be OK.  If the two laced sides are almost touching new, I can only imagine that they'll stretch a bit, rendering the shoe too wide for me.  Guess the 5 last fits me better than 1.

They say shell really doesn't stretch. My own experience is that it really molds to your foot well. Wear them around the house on the carpet for a few times before making your final decision.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of leeds that I put the AE ortho insert in and they feel great. Took a loose shoe and makes it fit great. That may help by raising your foot a bit.

Maybe even a mid thickness sock will help. My wife thinks I am even more of a moron now that I have three different thickness of socks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members