• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to send my Banchory's back and decided to take a refund instead of a remake, as I don't feel the need to force them to make the shoes a 3rd or 4th time. They somehow got to me with a lot of the pinking (the zig zags) overlapped by stitching that was supposed to be underneath. So the stitches are half over the tips of the pinking and half off.

I have no hard feelings. It was an experiment and Allison has been great. I do think I'll order a MTO brown CXL pair of the Leeds at some point. And still waiting on the Neumoks.

rc121

Reaction score

Don't know, but perhaps a back catalog might provide a clue (if you've never browsed through them they're fascinating in their own right):

http://issuu.com/allenedmonds

I actually had looked through some of them initially but was unsuccessful. I went back through and finally found them, but they are not on a current last and I can't find any info on it. Supposedly they are on the ivanhoe last

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Try shell Patriots. I've never been a loafer guy, but have not regretted this purchase one bit. Very comfortable and perfect with a pair of jeans on the weekend.

Maybe in the future, but my first venture into shell certainly won't be a loafer.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That sucks, but I do trust them. A frankly, I won't be really wanting to wear them until about April. Maryland has some weather that's truly on crack.
I didn't realize you were local -- for that stitch, if you like the shoes otherwise, it may be worth visiting A.M. Kroop & Sons in Laurel to get it fixed.

They've been doing goodyear-welted shoes for over a century; stepping into their facility is like walking back in time to the Edwardian era. Good people.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Is this common for the McAllisters to fit differently than the Strands?

In my experience, yes. My McAllisters fit a bit larger than my Strands, but not to the point where I need to size down. My Strands have about a 3/8" gap at the top of the lacing and my McAllisters about 1/8".

Last edited:

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Hmm . . . there have been many recent complaints regarding quality control on the MTOs and customs, AND six weeks is incredibly fast turnaround by industry standards. Brings to mind the old saying: Among fast, good, and cheap (relatively in this case), you can only have two.

Jonkr15

Reaction score
In my experience, yes. My McAllisters fit a bit larger than my Strands, but not to the point where I need to size down. My Strands have about a 3/8" gap at the top of the lacing and my McAllisters about 1/8".

Interesting, thanks for the reply. Customer service told me that the black leather tends to be stiffer and can sometimes slip in the heel. They suggested I flex them by hand to loosen them up. The weird part is that the right shoe from the first pair fits almost identically to my Strands. The other three are all loose.

kentyman

Reaction score
gorgeous boots. What color is that? Bourbon?

Stole it from Google Images, but yes that looks like Bourbon to me... unless they used the "black burnishing wheel" Instagram filter on a pair of Walnuts. ;)

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting, thanks for the reply.  Customer service told me that the black leather tends to be stiffer and can sometimes slip in the heel.  They suggested I flex them by hand to loosen them up.  The weird part is that the right shoe from the first pair fits almost identically to my Strands.  The other three are all loose.

Not sure if it has to do with black leather. I have walnut strands and Merlot Mcallisters. I have the same fit experience as OptoDoc.

cbtaylor

Reaction score
Quote:
Looks like it could be walnut, the sole edge looks to be light, where as on bourbon, it is black. Good looking either way

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently purchased some burgundy Allen Edmond Sanford's to go with my dark navy suit. Managed to get them for $70 and they are in beautiful shape and should have several years of life left. For my first pair of proper dress shoes I think I did very well on this purchase. However I have a question; is there any hope of dressing down this color of brogue? I own several pairs of dark denim but none seem to look right with the shoes... Theoretically a light purple dress shirt, burgundy belt, dark denim, and the AE's would pair nicely. But maybe my newbness is wrong? Opinions please! :)

I personally would not wear the Sanford with denim, no matter the color of Sanford or the color of denim. There are many other models - IMO - that are more appropriate with denim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads