• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralW

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! Any reason you say the bolded? Are they really that much lower on the quality totem pole?

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. Honestly I feel like I need to keep black plain oxfords sort of by default, but I'd really rather have a pair of brown wingtips, with Strands being the next best alternative. I wear dress shoes to work 5 days a week (and they'll be worn sometimes on weekends with jeans or chinos, which is another plus for the Strands), but I rarely if ever need to wear a black suit. They [black cap-toes] are just very convenient to have around and I don't have a single pair.

If I return the mags, I might just swap the Park Aves anyways and pick up a cheap pair of rubber soled black cap toes as a backup shoe/for wet days.
Instead of brown wingtips I'd recommend the McAllisters in Merlot. IMO the best color choices to begin with would be,
PA - Black
FA - Brown
McAllister - Merlot
Strand - Walnut

stgrim

Reaction score
Instead of brown wingtips I'd recommend the McAllisters in Merlot. IMO the best color choices to begin with would be,
PA - Black
FA - Brown
McAllister - Merlot
Strand - Walnut
Exactly my thoughts, these would be the perfect combination of the 4 evergreen "timeless classics" AE styles

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

You can! It requires a lot of brushing, some conditioner, more brushing and buffing. It takes a few sessions but can happen.

I lost a long PM to you last night. Will try and re-type later today

If you don't mind sharing, please clue me in as well. Thanks!

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
get the chili edge dressing from AE

When you apply the chili edge dressing, use a clean rag and wipe of the excess. If you do not you will get a shiny look on the dressing when it dries. I apply it and quickly wipe it off. Looks great.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably the country's smallest AE store in the same building as the Alden store, I believe.
I believe you're thinking of the one on 44th and Madison. The one on 43rd is between 5th and 6th and is larger.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breaking in new Kenilworths today. Not a bad score for under 2 bills.

Cant wait until my burgundy shell version is finished...

tietherope

Reaction score
New Webgems are up. A mixture of holiday-themed and golf shoes. Not a big fan of this release.

I really like that dark blue one. I just wore my blue Neumoks for the first time last week, but had I seen this first I would have returned them for this.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Larchmonts today:

FreedBird

Reaction score
One of the new Allen Edmonds styles we should be seeing in the next release of Independence Collection shoes... I wish I was a size 9D...

850csi

Reaction score
PA - Black
FA - Brown
McAllister - Merlot
Strand - Walnut

I already have the Sanford in burgundy, so I think that's the closest I'm getting to Merlot McAllisters for now. Also, I'm pretty much limited to closeout Brooks seconds at this point. Basically, I can choose two of:

PA - Black
FA - Walnut
Strand - Walnut
Strand - Brown

I think I might actually be a bigger fan of having Walnut 5ths and Brown Strands. To me, the biggest attraction to Walnut is the color, and in my mind a plainer shoe shows it off more. Anyone else think that makes sense?

GeneralW

Reaction score
I already have the Sanford in burgundy, so I think that's the closest I'm getting to Merlot McAllisters for now. Also, I'm pretty much limited to closeout Brooks seconds at this point. Basically, I can choose two of:

PA - Black
FA - Walnut
Strand - Walnut
Strand - Brown

I think I might actually be a bigger fan of having Walnut 5ths and Brown Strands. To me, the biggest attraction to Walnut is the color, and in my mind a plainer shoe shows it off more. Anyone else think that makes sense?
Ah I see, well PA in Black and Strand in Walnut seem to be the best choices IMO although I know you said you won't get much use out of the PAs.

In terms of showing off the color, I personally think walnut is too light and playful to be paired with FAs which a quite formal shoes, at least for your first pair that you're going to be wearing to the office a lot. However, if you don't want to keep the Black PAs then I guess Walnut FAs and Brown Strands are the only option.

mastrgdnsr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tan
Im normally an 8D on most AE. I bought a AE Park Ave (narrow and long) 7E and it was too tight. only size down 0.5 size length and up one width for the #5 last. 8D = 7.5E for Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue (anything on #5)
Having been through numerous pairs of AE looking for the right size, do whatever you can to try them on first. If trying one on isn't an option, try to find someone who has years of experience sizing people for shoes. Have them determine the following measurements (generally with a brannock)
lh8uQf
: 1) heel to ball 2) heel to toe 3) width Assuming you don't have a compromised fit they should be able to give you a decent gauge for the right size. If you do have a compromised fit, there's no substitute for trying it on. Once you have your size, call the folks at AE and ask them for sizing recommendations. They will know the shoe/last well enough to suggest a size. For those of us with oddly shaped feet, AE's free shipping is helpful considering the number of times it can take to get the fit right (albeit this comes with a modest increase in cost for shipping incorrect sizes back). Time and experience with the various lasts will reduce the number of exchanges. Best of luck

This is good advice. I have a pair of Cliftons and a pair of MacNeils, and they are different sizes. Don't assume that the same size in different lasts will fit your feet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads