• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamAdam

Reaction score

I'm waiting for the sale to pick up the suede strand. Any indication if cordovan is included?

I asked him if it was only specific models and he said, "all of them". Someone else can confirm because he wasn't the most knowledgable rep on the shoes but seemed very certain about the sale details.

salgy

Reaction score
Gentlemen, a bit of an introduction, long time lurker, and AE fan... I have close to 25 pairs myself, and will post a family picture for y'all next weekend... Watching the game tonight, and I just finished my latest "creation"... Thought I would share...

IMHO, burgundy/oxblood/merlot/etc... Are the most versatile color of shoes for my particular job/wardrobe... It always bothered me that AE didn't make the strand (one of my favorites) in burgundy calf (I can't wear shell...)... I ended up finding a pair of BNIB distressed brown Kiowa's on the bay that were so badly miss-matched & discolored, I ended up getting them for $30 shipped! I didn't take any before pictures, or of any of the steps (didn't think this would actually work!), but here's what I did:
1. Stripped off the brown color with a combination of acetone, deglazer & 000 steel wool
2. I bought fiebings ox blood dye, and applied 2 coats, brushed well & then polished (3 coats) with AE merlot cream...

Since they're kiowas, they do have the lug sole, but the idea is to wear them as my rainy day shoes until a recraft is in order... Then replace with standard leather soles... Not too bad for a total of $45 invested (especially considering the only way to get a "real" pair would be MTO)!

I probably have some touching up to do that I will see in full sunlight tomorrow, but was pleased enough with the results, I thought I would share...

AdamAdam

Reaction score
^ Thanks for posting and welcome. I'm thinking of starting a similar project. Can you talk more about step 1? How did you apply and in which order? I've never done this before so when you say "deglazer" what exactly are you referring to? Thanks for the help.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an email addy for Allison @ MTO swat? I've searched the thread and can only find her phone number. Making phone calls during the day can be difficult for me...

shartmann

Reaction score
I sent you a PM. Allison has been really helpful the last few months during the MTO process, and has been great to work with.

Does anyone have an email addy for Allison @ MTO swat? I've searched the thread and can only find her phone number. Making phone calls during the day can be difficult for me...

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fastfiat81

Reaction score
E did make the Strand in burgundy. It is an older model and corrected grain though. My rainy day shoes. :D

Last edited:

salgy

Reaction score

^ Thanks for posting and welcome. I'm thinking of starting a similar project. Can you talk more about step 1? How did you apply and in which order? I've never done this before so when you say "deglazer" what exactly are you referring to? Thanks for the help.

Sure... Just as a disclaimer, I have seen other posts where people will try to bleach out dyes with some success, but my concern was the longevity of the shoe itself, not just removing the color... I don't know what harsh chemicals will do to the leather over time, i can't imagine it is good for it... I really wanted to keep the integrity of the leather intact... The kiowas started dark brown distressed and ended a much tanner brown, I never got all the color out... Since I was dying darker, it didn't really matter that a little brown dye was still there, I just painted over it... I went with fiebings ox blood color, since I was dying over a light brown base, and as you can see from the pictures, I ended up with a nice dark burgundy... Just consider the base color when selecting a new color... This method will work for merlot, brown, navy, etc... Dark colors... I make no promises if you want to dye walnut, tan, etc...

The acetone was used with cotton pads (makeup pads) to remove the layers of polish added to the shoes... Deglazer is a product sold by fiebings to help remove unwanted dye... It is nasty, smelly stuff... But works wonders when coupled with the 000 steel wool (triple zero)... The steel wool (found at Home Depot) is rough enough to help the deglazer penetrate into the leather, but not rough enough to scratch the actual leather... The best piece of advice I have, is while the shoes are still wet from the deglazer, brush them well with an old brush to help redistribute the remaining dye evenly throughout the shoe... It will help make an evenly dyed surface for your new dye... The dying process was really easy, get some small craft brushes, don't use the dauber that comes with the dye... I used an old baby food jar to put the dye in, you need a lot less than you would expect!... I didn't wait in between coats, painted one shoe, then the other, then immediately did a second coat... I brushed the shoes with an old brush to help remove any excess dye & to make sure the dye as even (fiebings suggest a cotton cloth, but I found the brush more effective)... Then 3 coats of AE merlot cream... Polish as you normally would... Easy enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads