• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
I have found AE's belts to be of very decent quality. Wore an AE walnut calf belt today with a pair of EG's in Edwardian Antique.

I have the Cordovan tab belts in black and burgundy. By far the nicest belts that I own and are of very high quality. Buy without fear.

kentyman

Reaction score
So I also got those shell Kenilworths (technically my first shell purchase). The listing said "First Quality - Stamped on Sole Because They Are a Cancelled Special Order", but I'm thinking they were probably seconds. Note the 3 dark blotches on the inside. Also, part of the label on the box was cut out:

I'm thinking someone custom ordered them, didn't like the blotches, and they became seconds. What are y'all's thoughts? Is there any way to remove these? Do you think I can convince the seller to discount them? Looking for some advice.
I talked to the seller and he seemed genuinely unaware of the blotches, and offered to refund some money. After getting almost 22% back (standard difference between firsts and seconds), they came to $379 - $83 = $296. New Shoes1, thank you for the heads up on this eBay listing. I owe my first pair of shell to you.

I have worn them around the house and surprisingly am happy with the fit. They're 8.5D just like my Strands, which I knows is abnormal, but I also did not have success sizing down McTavishes at 8D (too tight), so my feet my be a bit odd. I wouldn't be surprised if 8E works better for 5-65 last shoes that run big (bluchers, Rough Collections), but as someone who needs to find deals on seconds I don't usually have that option.

I have noticed that the left shoe creases different than the right. Do y'all agree that this is just normal variations causing this, or do you think the creases look indicative of bad sizing?

If anyone has advice on the blotches, I'd love to hear it. I'm content with these blemishes, but if there's something I can do to lessen it, that would be great. I'm also concerned about removing too much factory polish as others have described in case it makes the problem more apparent. Does that Reno'Mat treatment lighten shell in a way that would make blemishes more obvious?

Thanks for all the advice.
Thanks for all the advice and kind words. Too many replies to quote (that's a good thing!), so I'll break it down by topic:

Blotches:
I like the idea of trying something with pigment that could even things out. Does AE's "new" burgundy shell start as Color #8? It sounds like the best options are Saphir Cordovan Shoe Polish (Cordovan) or AE Cordovan Care Cream (Burgundy), but also maybe Alden Paste Wax (Color #8). Other ideas would be something specifically for coloring like Saphir Juvacuir Recoloring Cream (Burgundy) or Saphir Renovating Recolorant Repair Cream (Burgundy)?

My concern with removing the built-up polish is that it will make the problem more apparent. Is the idea to remove the existing polish so that the new polish can better recolor the shell?
Creasing:

I'm happy to hear they seem normal, though I am curious about this "pen method". Is the idea just to force the shell to bend in a certain way? Any more information would be appreciated.

Waterproofing:

Is Saphir Super Invulner Waterproofing Spray suitable for shell, or should I get Alden Leather Defender instead?
Do not mess around with the recoloring creams. I repeat - do not mess around with the recoloring creams. They are dyes and for situations significantly worse than yours. Go with the Saphir cordovan cream. Trust me on this one, it's that good.

So I'm actually getting around to buy some cordovan polish to hopefully minimize the blotches on my burgundy shell Kenilworths, and am deciding between 3 options:

1. Saphir Cordovan Shoe Polish (Cordovan) was recommended by New Shoes1, but it costs $34.50 shipped and I'm a little unsure whether it'll match the new AE burgundy well. But it boasts being turpentine free.
  2. AE Cordovan Care Cream (Burgundy) is only $8 shipped and almost certainly matches correctly. Well, unless it's formulated for the old burgundy instead of the new? Also, I'm less sure about the ingredients.
  3. Alden Paste Wax (Color #8) is $5.50 shipped, but I'm unsure whether it's for shell cordovan or is just a standard calfskin paste wax in "Color 8 Cordovan" color. Either way, it sounds too waxy for shell.

Can anyone else personally attest to one verses the other?

New Shoes1, have you tried both? I know you wouldn't just mindlessly push Saphir products, would you?
wink.gif

AZsundevil

Reaction score
AE makes their own belts from the same leathers as their shoes.

I have found AE's belts to be of very decent quality. Wore an AE walnut calf belt today with a pair of EG's in Edwardian Antique.

I have had one of their Bombay belts in walnut for a couple years now. It's held up impressively well compared to my other belts and they're definitely not second rate.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure because on their shoe descriptions they usually go into a little more detail on the leather.

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
So I'm actually getting around to buy some cordovan polish to hopefully minimize the blotches on my burgundy shell Kenilworths, and am deciding between 3 options:

1. Saphir Cordovan Shoe Polish (Cordovan) was recommended by New Shoes1, but it costs $34.50 shipped and I'm a little unsure whether it'll match the new AE burgundy well. But it boasts being turpentine free.
  2. AE Cordovan Care Cream (Burgundy) is only $8 shipped and almost certainly matches correctly. Well, unless it's formulated for the old burgundy instead of the new? Also, I'm less sure about the ingredients.
  3. Alden Paste Wax (Color #8) is $5.50 shipped, but I'm unsure whether it's for shell cordovan or is just a standard calfskin paste wax in "Color 8 Cordovan" color. Either way, it sounds too waxy for shell.

New Shoes1, have you tried both? I know you wouldn't just mindlessly push Saphir products, would you?
wink.gif

If you are going to be investing into several Saphir products, such as Saphir Cordovan Polish, Saphir Renovateur, a good polishing bone, and quality horsehair brush - then you can save on shipping by combining your purchases to $75.

More importantly, you definitely need the Saphir Color Guide (see below) which has each color printed in gloss, and all you do is match the shoe up under the perforated hold of the color for an exact match. The color guide is good for all shell and calfskin leathers.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My main issue with AE belts is that they are a bit in the wide/clunky side to be considered good formal belts. They work better on the more casual side of the spectrum.

Kave

Reaction score
My main issue with AE belts is that they are a bit in the wide/clunky side to be considered good formal belts. They work better on the more casual side of the spectrum.
They make a narrow dress belt that is not even an inch wide if that is what you are looking for.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like they've finally figured out what to do with those shell samples and scraps. I knew it was just a matter of time. This looks like one of the biggest wastes of money I've seen around here in a while.
facepalm.gif
Watch the little video... all they are doing is "wrapping" the money and credit cards with the cordovan that's been cut into a 'T' shape.

http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/wallets/billfold-small.html

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like they've finally figured out what to do with those shell samples and scraps. I knew it was just a matter of time. This looks like one of the biggest wastes of money I've seen around here in a while.
facepalm.gif
Watch the little video... all they are doing is "wrapping" the money and credit cards with the cordovan that's been cut into a 'T' shape.

http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/wallets/billfold-small.html

I wouldn't feel secure putting anything in there.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

facepalm.gif
Watch the little video... all they are doing is "wrapping" the money and credit cards with the cordovan that's been cut into a 'T' shape. http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/wallets/billfold-small.html
Leffot has been selling those for quite a while now. Not something I would want to get, but there are people out there who REALLY can't get enough of shell cordovan.

kentyman

Reaction score
If you are going to be investing into several Saphir products, such as Saphir Cordovan Polish, Saphir Renovateur, a good polishing bone, and quality horsehair brush - then you can save on shipping by combining your purchases to $75.

More importantly, you definitely need the Saphir Color Guide (see below) which has each color printed in gloss, and all you do is match the shoe up under the perforated hold of the color for an exact match. The color guide is good for all shell and calfskin leathers.

Actually, I looked at that, and it's not good for their shell polish. In particular, their "Cordovan (71)" color is not anywhere on that chart. And in order to get the chart before buying polish, I'd have to pay $19.34 shipped. And even after that, none of the other burgundy'ish colors on the chart are available in their shell polish. So if I found that "Hermes Red (12)" was what I wanted, I wouldn't be able to do anything with that information.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today: inaugural wearing of my new black shell Park Avenues:

Looking great bucksfan! Hope the inaugual wearing went well for you. I really like mine and everytime I wear them reminds me that I need more black shell.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leffot has been selling those for quite a while now. Not something I would want to get, but there are people out there who REALLY can't get enough of shell cordovan.

Yeah, that's what I've now heard. Strange that I've somehow missed them, because I frequently check Leffot's website (nearly every day).

guasc1

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I've now heard. Strange that I've somehow missed them, because I frequently check Leffot's website (nearly every day).
Is this considered marketing?

"your cash is snugly secured in horse ass leather for safekeeping"

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wink.gif
Last week as soon as my burgundy shell Patriots came I put them on. 10 minutes later it a downpour started and I ran out to the deck to bring in the cushions. As soon as I got back inside I took a rag and wiped my shoes down and the AE Cream came off with the rag.... So I did my standard stripping and applying Saphir cordovan cordovan cream. In 2 weeks I will be going to Fl. for a week and will wear my burgundy Patriots every day, and they WILL get wet this time of year. So I applied 1 coat of Saphir mahogany #9 wax on top of the cream. I don't buy the turpentine damage to shell thing, Reno has it and so does VC. From this point forward I will only put cream on them when badly scuffed. And use Kiwi Select (which is what Alden wax is) black paste wax maybe twice a year if needed.

Not a great picture but I happen to be wearing them today.

Couple of weeks ago I ordered the brown cordovan cream and Kirby sent me another cordovan instead. I don't have any need for 2 as one will last me a lifetime. If you want send me a PM and I will send it to you. Saphir cordovan cream is much better than the AE cordovan cream and actually soaks in a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members