• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4cc95769-cfab-6eb8.jpg

4cc95769-cfbe-a13e.jpg

So new, so unspoiled. They fit like a glove.

Last edited:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly why I purchased rubber soled shoes. The research I did on SF and other websites suggested the the Executive collect/Rubber sole shoes are more for work. I also walk in water alot due to the fact that I work in a hotel/restaurant and the floors are constantly being mopped to be cleaned. If thats not the case I suggest purchasing leather. Leather is a much sharper and refined look. However, its debatable which one has more durability. I purchased some Strands and put toppy's on them (replaced the leather) as I was planning on wearing these shoes to work regularly but ended up changing my mind and now I seldomly wear them. I kind of regret putting the toppys on such a beautiful leather but thats an alternative to consider if you are in wet conditions and on your feet alot.
I'm a little nervous about the fit, I ordered mine in black b/c I need a pair of black dress shoes.

I wholeheartedly agree. My preference for leather soles is strictly aesthetic. If you have a legitimate need for rubber soles, they make sense. I actually tried the Lombard, but it didn't fit me well. But it is a good looking shoe with the rubber sole, especially in Walnut.
I've never gotten an email confirmation unless I've ordered through the website, and I've ordered a lot through outlet locations.
I got an email confirmation with the tracking # and order #. I've ordered through this AE outlet several times and this was the first time I've ever received one.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm...There is some wrinkling on the side of my walnut dalton boot that I might say qualifies it as below a second...but at this price I don't really care (and all of the nits I have to pick with the pair are mostly things that will not be visible or would occur naturally after a few wearings). The shoes are pretty sweet--I only tried on the right one but it fit great and the leather really does feel more supple and easy to break in than black custom calf.

I am not sure that I am happy with the shoe trees they sent though. They are not split-toe and the heel is "full" but is really so narrow and pointed that you would have to have some janky-ass feet for it to actually be anywhere near full The bottom part is down right pointy....
All of my other trees are split toe which I would think makes sure they always fit to the edges of the shoe (and they can adjust their angle slightly for pointy/rounder shoes)....And they all have better heels that are actually round on the bottom and back.

I'm not sure there is really any advantage to their tree over the $12 nordstrom rack special which has a split toe and OK heel (but not as nice a heel as the costco trees that you can't get anymore)...so I am wondering if I should return it or switch it to a less important shoe.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

4cc95769-cfab-6eb8.jpg

4cc95769-cfbe-a13e.jpg
So new, so unspoiled. They fit like a glove.

Did you get those as seconds?

I've seen those in person - spectacular. I think this model of shoe takes very well to the pebbled grain walnut - an almost perfect marriage.

I have an older pair in black; this shoe happens to fit me very well.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Reaction score

Hmm...There is some wrinkling on the side of my walnut dalton boot that I might say qualifies it as below a second...but at this price I don't really care (and all of the nits I have to pick with the pair are mostly things that will not be visible or would occur naturally after a few wearings). The shoes are pretty sweet--I only tried on the right one but it fit great and the leather really does feel more supple and easy to break in than black custom calf.
I am not sure that I am happy with the shoe trees they sent though. They are not split-toe and the heel is "full" but is really so narrow and pointed that you would have to have some janky-ass feet for it to actually be anywhere near full The bottom part is down right pointy....
All of my other trees are split toe which I would think makes sure they always fit to the edges of the shoe (and they can adjust their angle slightly for pointy/rounder shoes)....And they all have better heels that are actually round on the bottom and back.
I'm not sure there is really any advantage to their tree over the $12 nordstrom rack special which has a split toe and OK heel (but not as nice a heel as the costco trees that you can't get anymore)...so I am wondering if I should return it or switch it to a less important shoe.

I hear you on the wrinkling. I have some significant wrinkling on the sides of my pair after only a couple of weeks, but I don't mind as this is likely unavoidable, adds character, and the boots are meant to be worn!

Dr.Teatime

Reaction score
i got mine today! thanks Edward!

My Bayfields had rubber soles. very wrinkly on the sides thought.... probably the cause for the steep discount.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i got mine today! thanks Edward!
My Bayfields had rubber soles. very wrinkly on the sides thought.... probably the cause for the steep discount.

Yeah, weird wrinkely side on the left shoe (too bad it is on the outer side) and not so great stitching on the welt...uneven distance between edge of sole and stitch line.

I wonder if the reason AE has such a neverending supply of seconds is because they have to spend inordinate amounts of time training new shoemakers (since they are the lowest level shoemaker still making them in the US, maybe they have to keep training new people as experienced talent jumps ship to Alden or something). At least by having the huge seconds program, you can take an upper that ended up a little wrinkled and give it to the guy who is just learning how to attach soles. The end result is not horrible...but you could never display it on the shelf at a flagship store and thus it goes into the seconds pile.

Karl_in_Chicago

Reaction score

I picked up a new pair of Walnut Daltons this summer from my local AE store and later returned them for that "wrinkling" you describe - it was on the upper outside of the right boot. The SA explained that sometimes the leather on a panel like that is extra "beefy" which I can understand - I didn't notice it during my initial purchase for reasons explained upthread. To their credit they took the boots back with no issue, even though they'd been worn outside, and procured another pair for me within a week. Now this was for a new pair at retail so I was being a lot more picky. For the "beefyness" I saw on mine - which mostly was just a frustrating issue of trying to achieve a perfect shine/appearance - I would have been totally OK if they'd been seconds; further, the area in question is one that most won't ever see unless the owner wears those boots with shorts or something - even with crossed legs the normal way will have the outer area of the boot upper facing down. If I had it to do all over again and I could buy that same pair of boots at the amazing prices you all are reporting I'd grab them in a heartbeat. Just my $0.02.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure someone else has already posted about this but here goes:

I measure 11H (ll.5) C/B width on the measuring device and I have ordered sizes from 10-12 in widths BCD.

I found that the size 10.5D fits comfortably but the balmora is not being shown in all of its glory. If I go with the 10.5C they feel snug, but if they stretch a bit with wear they will be perfect, and you can see the V. If I go to a size 11 C my heel starts to slip a bit. I did not try the 11B though. The V not showing bothers me a lot. I tried/wore the shoes with these dress socks, 10.5D, and then I tried them on with my running socks (I was trying to replicate a thick dress sock, and they fit how the 10.5C fit.

I am at a point where I am really liking dress shoes and am ready to purchase the Dalton boot and the K(forgot the name). I do not want to make a mistake and order wrong sizes. I understand that the last of the different shoes will make the shoe feel different but I would really like the the Strand I currently own and really want to see the V.

Can you guys advise on what I should do please?

Sorry if my post is confusing, its late and I am tired.

Thanks

bucksfan

Reaction score
I am sure someone else has already posted about this but here goes:
I measure 11H (ll.5) C/B width on the measuring device and I have ordered sizes from 10-12 in widths BCD.
I found that the size 10.5D fits comfortably but the balmora is not being shown in all of its glory. If I go with the 10.5C they feel snug, but if they stretch a bit with wear they will be perfect, and you can see the V. If I go to a size 11 C my heel starts to slip a bit. I did not try the 11B though. The V not showing bothers me a lot. I tried/wore the shoes with these dress socks, 10.5D, and then I tried them on with my running socks (I was trying to replicate a thick dress sock, and they fit how the 10.5C fit.
I am at a point where I am really liking dress shoes and am ready to purchase the Dalton boot and the K(forgot the name). I do not want to make a mistake and order wrong sizes. I understand that the last of the different shoes will make the shoe feel different but I would really like the the Strand I currently own and really want to see the V.

If you are talking about the 5 last on AE (Park Ave, 5th Ave, Strand, Cambridge, McAllister) and if the above comments are about trying one of those shoes on... it sounds like you should look at a 10.5 C. The calf shoes will stretch a bit, shell cordovan not so much. If you are a 10.5C on the 5 last, I bet you'll be a 11 B or 11 C on most of the other lasts. (the 5 last is a little longer than most of the others).

If you are buying a balmoral for more formal wear (suits) then plan to wear thin socks.

In the Dalton Boot, I wear the same size I do on the 5 last balmorals. But, I tend to wear them only for work, with thin dress socks. If you are going to wear them with thicker socks, you may want to go to a 10.5 D / 11 C.

In my experience, one can adjust how a shoe fits by almost a full width or 1/2 size just by pairing them with the right thickness sock.

Giddyup

Reaction score
I received my Daltons and Fifth Streets and other than one tiny little spot that is hidden I cant tell a single thing wrong with either (they are seconds).

bucksfan

Reaction score
Great! I should be getting my Fifth Streets today. Greatly looking forward to a balmoral boot!

On what makes them "seconds" - I have a few pair of seconds, and have only had one pair of seconds that I had to return because the problem was too much of a concern. The funniest thing that made a pair of mine "seconds" is on my black shell leeds - the insole doesn't say Allen Edmonds - it's just blank. So, either they put the insole in upside down, or put an insole in the shoe that didn't get the AE stamp. I think it was probably sewn in upside down... In any event, I got a great deal on a pair of "almost first" leeds in shell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads