• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreedBird

Reaction score

Non AE related, but I'm trying to decide whether or not these old clunkers are worth keeping. They were super cheap and since then I've collected enough AEs to get me by. Thoughts?

I think you answered the question for yourself. If they are just taking up space in your wardrobe get rid of them.

LEgoiste

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is the wrong place. I just got these allen edmonds in the mail (ordered online), and I think I may need to send them back. I wanted to get some advice first. they are 10 d. It's my first pair of high end shoes, so I want to make sure I do it right. When I lace them up this is how they look. I'm thinking they may need to be a bit wider. Also I when I stand my toes come to about an inch from the tip. I don't think they should go all the way to the end, but I wasn't sure how much space is too much space.

I had the same sizing issue with my very first AEs (Strand). I went with my regular shoe size 9.5 and went up on width E, since the 5 last is narrow, and the fit was almost exactly like yours. So, I went to my local AE Store in Manhattan and got professionally fitted. It turned out that my feet are size 10.5 C (or D if I'd like to be able to wear semi-thick socks). So, on the 5/65 last I wear a 10 E. I'd advise that you have your feet professionally fitted. If you don't have an AE store near you, you can go to other shoe stores, like Cole Haan, where they also do professional shoe fitting.

Last edited:

Ulsterman

Reaction score

One of my favorite pairs...wear them in the summer with dress shorts(as opposed to gym shorts?..lol) I did pick up the blue Rush St so we will see which wins the wear war

The rush streets are pretty awesome, the shoe bank is not the money saving idea I thought it would be, 3 pairs in a week. On the plus side I realized I was wrongly sized and switched to e width, zero foot pain since I stopped wearing D's. Now I just need to sell off all my d width Edmonds somehow.

iamelroberto

Reaction score
Any pics of someone wearing the blue rush streets?

Also how do I find these, don't see them on the site.

Last edited:

rostov

Reaction score
I agree with you except in this photo I think the Strands look great if you're looking for an American shoe. I wish AE would just start making sleeker shoes with less bulbous toe-boxes because there aren't many accessible offerings in this price range.

*shrug*

I stick with AE because of their bulbous toe boxes. There are plenty of shoes less expensive than AE that are thin and sleek, even if they're poor quality. AE is the cheapest shoe of any quality that fits for some of us that isn't made by New Balance. Bulbous toe boxes are part of that. I still think the 809 last should be taller in the toe box and blobbier. #big-feet-unite

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I apologize since this has probably been covered ad nauseum here and elsewhere, but is the difference in quality between AE and say, Lobb or Edward Green simply down to bulbous toes and sleekness or is there some other component? Is the construction better, fundamentally? I know there are AE stories of poor quality checks before shipping and such but every company must have those stories. What tell-tale signes would I look for if I were holding an AE and an EG and comparing quality?

Feel free to tell me to just search for some other thread and shut up...

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I apologize since this has probably been covered ad nauseum here and elsewhere, but is the difference in quality between AE and say, Lobb or Edward Green simply down to bulbous toes and sleekness or is there some other component? Is the construction better, fundamentally? I know there are AE stories of poor quality checks before shipping and such but every company must have those stories. What tell-tale signes would I look for if I were holding an AE and an EG and comparing quality?

Can not comment on Lobb...but I have had the pleasure of shopping for EG and there is a pretty wide gap both price and construction details. Stitching is huge factor and the precise nature of it...Leather quality I am sure is an argument to be made for EG.

I am in the market of an EG boot by the end of the year.....that being said I prefer AE pricing to quality ratio.

NewYawker

Reaction score

There is a big difference in leather quality and construction methods. Not to say AE is a piece of junk - its not. If you read through the shoe care thread you can get some good info regarding leather quality. You might get AE shoes made from shoulder/belly leather while you would not from EG. Construction is also beefed up. Leather soles used are better quality. And aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder but most would think EG just "looks" better. I have about a dozen AE shoes, have sold about a dozen, and for as long as AE is made in 'Murica, I will continue to buy AE.
Edit - check out the shoe care thread, leather quality thread, sole welting thread, bespoke shoe thread. You will read and learn a tremendous amount about shoes. Those threads will help you figure out some of the differences.

Last edited:

tyort1

Reaction score

Non AE related, but I'm trying to decide whether or not these old clunkers are worth keeping. They were super cheap and since then I've collected enough AEs to get me by. Thoughts?
Those are clown shoes, toss em. Honk-a Honk-a!

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Kahuna and NewYawker. NewYawker, I will check out those threads you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members