• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
GMTO!!! (head on over to the GMTO thread to opt in)

Hey guys, what are your thoughts on this:

Clark Street
Olive (loden) Suede
Tan/Alabaster stitching
Single Oak sole with V-Tread outsole (open to change, not dainite though)
Buff Welt (either flat or storm)
Buff or toasted Edge Dressing
Blind eyelets (the metal eyelets make the shoe too casual)

My aim is to mimic something like this from Alden

Open to suggestions and feedback. Heres the suede color-

kps1997

Reaction score
SouthNarc...Those are sweet Fifth Street boots...Are those Brown Shell Cordovan or Brown Calfskin?

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @hoit1981 for the heads up on the ralph lauren sample sale in NYC. If you're around and a D width (maybe some Es, I saw one) , saw lots of AE for RL for $135. I passed since I got a black label trench and RRL selvedge denim instead. I had snuff suede Slaton and brown singletons in my hand but resisted.

Last edited:

mrfixit

Reaction score
Thanks to @hoit1981 for the heads up on the ralph lauren sample sale in NYC. If you're around and a D width (maybe some Es, I saw one) , saw lots of AE for RL for $135. I passed since I got a black label trench and RRL selvedge denim instead. I had snuff suede Slaton and brown singletons in my hand but resisted.

whoa. if anyone wants to grab me a slaton or sanderson in 10D, that would be swell.

rostov

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!!!
Thanks! Those are actually Eagle County MTOs. If you reach out to Rostov you may get onto a Eagle River MTO of almost the exact same make up as the brown grain Eagle County in my collage.

We've had a few try and get in late, but I figured it wouldn't be fair to try and sneak in black Friday pricing after the fact, especially since Allison told me to have orders in by midnight of "Cyber Monday".

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've had a few try and get in late, but I figured it wouldn't be fair to try and sneak in black Friday pricing after the fact, especially since Allison told me to have orders in by midnight of "Cyber Monday".
Watch, thanks for the info.

Understandable, rostov. I wasn't 100% ready to jump on the MTO bandwagon yet anyway - perhaps sometime in 2015.

In the meantime I will likely pick up a pair of Eagle Rivers off the shoebank. I am a 9D in most AEs, including the 5 last (McT's, with toe pads) but sized up to 9.5 D in my Shakers (which fit great). Was thinking I would also size up for the Eagle. Anyone have any sizing rec's on the Eagle River/County or the 222 last?

chenzhongbi

Reaction score

Yes. Altman's has been in that location for quite a long time (I want to say 50+ years but I'm not certain) and I know they have a huge stock room. However, they have been steadily deepening their discounts since sometime in September, so there isn't a whole ton left. The good thing is as of last week they had all AE's discounted 40%. They close at the end of the year, so I expect that to go up soon.

I think I got measured and bought my first pair of AE there. Their stock room is quite impressive. I'll call it a shoe cave.
Are you saying the price will go up later?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I got measured and bought my first pair of AE there. Their stock room is quite impressive. I'll call it a shoe cave.
Are you saying the price will go up later?

No, their discounts will likely only increase as it gets closer to December 31st (the date on which they close for good).

I'm planning on swinging by next week and will report back.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Extremely jealous of those of you living close by! Wish I knew someone who lived there who could snag a few pairs for me.

The Hunter

Reaction score
Watch, thanks for the info.

Understandable, rostov. I wasn't 100% ready to jump on the MTO bandwagon yet anyway - perhaps sometime in 2015.

In the meantime I will likely pick up a pair of Eagle Rivers off the shoebank. I am a 9D in most AEs, including the 5 last (McT's, with toe pads) but sized up to 9.5 D in my Shakers (which fit great). Was thinking I would also size up for the Eagle. Anyone have any sizing rec's on the Eagle River/County or the 222 last?

I went with my normal size (10E) for my first pair of 222 last shoes. I had to have them stretched for them to even be wearable. On the latest GMTO I went with a 10EEE I figured worst case I can wear thick socks

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went with my normal size (10E) for my first pair of 222 last shoes.  I had to have them stretched for them to even be wearable.  On the latest GMTO I went with a 10EEE  I figured worst case I can wear thick socks 

Of course the shoebank doesn't have 9E. Leaves me deciding between 9D (tts), 9.5D, or 9.5E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads