• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

so essentially for 5+ months out of the year(normal years) I am a shorts guy...while not high fashion clearly, simply the most comfortable pair of "dress" shorts if you will are the Haggar Cool 18 shorts with a special hidden little expandable waist feature. I probably have 13-15 different colors(great summer colors) - see link below- I wear them with summer colored t-shirts, tommy bahama shirts, RL polo's etc, some button downs. I have been wearing my suede blue spiaggias, tan suede strandmoks, Addisons, Clark Street and shell Randolph's(button down shirts) with them this summer. Is adding the Neumok's Blue and Olive into the mix a bit much - I sort of feel the somewhat distressed leather and single soles lend them to be ok. Guess what I am saying is I look goofy enough in general are those shoes sending me over the line to idiot nation? Those shoes just are not getting worn enough during the other months to warrant keeping if I don't mix them in the summer rotation. http://www.amazon.com/Haggar-Gabardine-Hidden-Expandable-Waist/dp/B000OF4ON0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407857247&sr=8-2&keywords=haggar+cool+18+shorts
Not that I'm eager to see another mans legs, but do you happen to have any photos of those shorts w the Spiaggias? I've been trying to pull that look off all summer but it never looks right to my eyes. Maybe I just don't have the chops.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I contacted AE yesterday about Dundee in brown. They told me that lead time is 8-12 weeks.

My last mto shell pair of shoes came yesterday, 3 weeks after I placed the order. Recent shell Dalton build was also quoted the same lead time but were done in 4 weeks.

As a year round estimate, 8-12 weeks keeps us off their back. But seasonally, the coming RDA sale will push build times to 8+ weeks, but for the rest of the year they seem consistently below 8 weeks.

LeviMay

Reaction score

My last mto shell pair of shoes came yesterday, 3 weeks after I placed the order.  Recent shell Dalton build was also quoted the same lead time but were done in 4 weeks.

That's great to hear. My last MTO was confirmed July 31st, so I could possibly have them within the next couple weeks.

What was your last pair? Pics?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm eager to see another mans legs, but do you happen to have any photos of those shorts w the Spiaggias? I've been trying to pull that look off all summer but it never looks right to my eyes. Maybe I just don't have the chops.

I will dig around to see- if not I will make sure a nab a photo next time I wear them.

LeviMay

Reaction score
Was the Rockford one of Wolverine's boots by AE? Ben Silver has a few sizes online for $199.50.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Was the Rockford one of Wolverine's boots by AE? Ben Silver has a few sizes online for $199.50.

I thought only the cordovan models were made my AE.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's great to hear. My last MTO was confirmed July 31st, so I could possibly have them within the next couple weeks.

What was your last pair? Pics?

Ashtons.
A basic black shell orthotic blucher.

Received yesterday, and liked them enough to order a more playful or casual version in burgundy shell, with reversed stitching, natural welt and an off white sole.

1st pic here include the burgundy shell Daltons worn today and the Ashtons after 1 day wear.

This option was performed once then I was told they won't repeat it.

drcharlie

Reaction score
I received a postcard today from my nearest Allen Edmonds factory seconds store:

From August 21st through September 1, savings of 15-35% off ALL factory-second shoes. Plus, save on discontinued belts and other select accessories. Limited to on-hand inventory only. See what is available in your size at www.shoebank.com

Factory Seconds Shoe (2nds MSRP) Sale Price:

Mora 2.0 Black or Bourbon ($299) sale $189

Neumok Brown ($219) sale $149

Grayson Black ($299) sale $199

Patriot Black or Brown ($299) sale $189

Kiowa Brown Distressed or Brown Grain ($234) sale $179

Vernon Black ($299) sale $199

Flatiron Black or Walnut Burnished ($299) sale $189

YoungSweet

Reaction score

I received a postcard today from my nearest Allen Edmonds factory seconds store:

From August 21st through September 1, savings of 15-35% off ALL factory-second shoes. Plus, save on discontinued belts and other select accessories. Limited to on-hand inventory only. See what is available in your size at www.shoebank.com

Factory Seconds Shoe (2nds MSRP) Sale Price:

Mora 2.0 Black or Bourbon ($299) sale $189

Neumok Brown ($219) sale $149

Grayson Black ($299) sale $199

Patriot Black or Brown ($299) sale $189

Kiowa Brown Distressed or Brown Grain ($234) sale $179

Vernon Black ($299) sale $199

Flatiron Black or Walnut Burnished ($299) sale $189

Thanks for posting. No shells included in the sale. The Mora 2.0 is probably the feature style for the sale, and is a good price if you have been waiting.
I may just grab a belt or something and wait out for RDA.

delmar

Reaction score
Am I the only one that is bugged by the steady increase in price on AE shoes? When AE was bought a while back the shoes were 349 for a new pair of calf skin shoes. Now they are 385. The shell has also increased significantly, to the point where they are the same price as Aldens. From what I have heard, Alden shell is consistently better than AE shell, though I have never seen a pair of Aldens in person (to my knowledge).

Am I the only one considering looking elsewhere for my footwear?
I noticed the jump in price too. I think they're still cheaper than Aldens. A lot of people prefer Aldens, not me. Maybe some people can tell, but I can't tell the difference in the shell between the two brands. My feet--specifically my arches--can tell the difference between the two brands. My feet prefer Allen Edmonds. I have a pair of Alden monkstraps in burgundy shell and I don't like them much. The buckles are too dainty and the straps don't feed through them very well--but they are shiny. My brown shell AE Norwiches are like they were made for my feet and very good looking too--with big manly buckles. I also have two other pairs of the Norwich--in brown and black calf. And I have a pair of the Lubbock too, which are pretty much identical to the Norwich except they're tan and from the rough collection. I've heard people here disparage the 222 last, but it fits me like a glove. My other pair of Aldens is a pair of brown shell chukka boots. I bought them because AE didn't make anything like them at the time. Within a year, AE came out with the shell Dundees. I was kicking myself.

But back to the original point. The price has gone up, but I suppose the cost of doing business has gone up--I read somewhere that there has been a marked increase in the price of hides. Lately, I have taken to buying seconds so I don't notice the price increase as much as someone buying first quality. But the seconds that I've been getting meet or exceed my expectations. I'll stick with AE.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't AE phasing out its shell offerings? And only having them be MTO?
By MTO they only mean that they make them when they get ordered. They won't have uppers laying around waiting to be finished like they do with calf shoes. They are not phasing them out.
I would imagine that would reduce the shell seconds we will see also though if they're not making them on spec.
AE switched to the MTO, or rather made on order, for shell back in 2012 due to the shell shortage and expense. So the seconds availability will remain the same as you see now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members