• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlafG

Reaction score
No, I don't think so. It's been mentioned earlier in this thread that AE stores the finished uppers of the shoes and then put them on a sole if it's ordered by a customer.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush. Take a quick rest. Brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush. Rinse and repeat. 

I feel like someone should clarify...don't really 'rinse' your shoes! hahahaha

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Here's a question: so I'm looking at picking up some distressed McTavish shoes on clearance, but I wonder abut sizing. I normally wear about a 9-9.5 in shoes, but my first pair of AE's is a pair of fairfaxes, and I had to go to an 8 D for it to fit. Is this normal in anyone else's experience?

What kind of shoes are you normally wearing? For instance I wear a 10 in sneakers, but I am an 8D in most Allen Edmonds. I would base the size of the McTavish off the size of the AE you already have. I'm not sure what last the Fairfax is on, but you should be within a half size of the McTavish.

DHD28

Reaction score
Just received a bonus at work and now I'm having a hard time restraining myself from the Shell webgem deal... particularly the Strand. Anyone care to talk me out of it?

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received a bonus at work and now I'm having a hard time restraining myself from the Shell webgem deal... particularly the Strand. Anyone care to talk me out of it?

Sure. If you have debt that you need to pay off first - school loan, car payment, mortgages, retirement matching etc... -, then you should use your bonus towards the more important obligations. However, if you have cash to blow, AEs are a pretty solid choice considering the recent deals. To make you feel better, I just picked up 2 pairs this week and possibly more with the looming 2/250 deal.

Kinda of ironic but I'm hoping you can talk me out of purchasing more, haha.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush. Take a quick rest. Brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush. Rinse and repeat.
This is the long method.
The shorter method is to pick up Renomat and Renovateur and use the two in conjunction to remove AE's finish.

You will rarely ever need to use wax or cream on your shells. Use them only to cover up scratches or bruises on the leather. If you put wax/cream on the shell, it will simply add more polish you will eventually need to brush out. I also find that AE cordovan cream is finicky; either it doesn't stick to the leather or it stains it so it becomes very hard to take off.

Thanks for the answers guys. This is what I will continue to do. I have already worked a fair amount off with a damp rag. And so it continues....

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's what's holding me back: next month, the rediscover america sale knocks 15% off all shoes, including burgundy shells down to around 510$ ish...

Last edited:

AdamAdam

Reaction score

I am in a similar situation; I wear 9D on the 1-last (Townleys) with a very snug fit, 9E in the 2-last (New Orleans & Ralph Lauren Saunders) and 9D in the Elgins, which are on the 5-last but fit much larger due to its Dublin leather construction. Just got into the AE addiction and purchased a McAllister, Strand and Park Avenue in 8.5E. I spent the entire afternoon yesterday figuring if I got them in the correct size, finally decided that 8.5EE should be correct for me and have ordered them to compare directly against the 8.5E I have.

I'm glad to see that over the last few pages there are other EE weirdos besides me. My question for the group is this: There are only certain models that are offered in EE. If I decided that I really wanted a shoe and was willing to go the MTO route, would I be able to get it in a width that is not normally offered? For instance, if I wanted a Dalton in 7.5EE do they even have that size in the 1 last that they could use for a custom order?

clew

Reaction score
Not sure if posted, but Lands End has the Bayfield Boot on sale for 259.99 w/free shipping too.

Last edited:

TheBoy

Reaction score
I'm loving the six pairs of AE I own--but they're all shoes. I'm looking in the clearance section and trying to decide between the bitter chocolate and lighter tan Amok chukka.

I'd likely be wearing them with jeans more than anything else, and I'm feeling a little clueless about which color would serve better. Thoughts?

just a bro

Reaction score
Anyone know any promo codes to use at checkout? I'm trying to stack my discounts.
Edit: to specify, I'm buying from allenedmonds.com for the clearance bonus

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Been having a hardcore buffing day today, watching football and shining my shell shoes... Here are my Walnut Shell Strands, they are almost two years old now! I think that they turn 2 in January... Anyways, hope that you enjoy them, they are my favorite of all my shoes (Aldens and Crockett & Jones included) to date! Both in terms of fit, color, and style.

-Mike

tietherope

Reaction score

Here's what's holding me back: next month, the rediscover america sale knocks 15% off all shoes, including burgundy shells down to around 510$ ish...

The sale includes shell? Doesn't that mean the current Strand webgem will actually be cheaper during the sale than now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members