• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sale sneaker buying frenzy arrived today. 3 of 4 pairs came overnight only ordered yesterday.

The Alpha Suede Slip-On Sneaker was purchased as a home slipper really. Foot pain develops if I go barefoot so I have to wear inside shoes and these are perfect. Slip on easy and comfortably snug real comfy been wearing since they arrived about 9am.

IMG_20210702_140636.jpg

Needed some new walking sneakers so picked up these Osborn Sneakers. Trial fit is great I am sure they will be great on tonight's walk.
IMG_20210702_140828.jpg

This pair was a cover my butt buy. What I mean is the above Osborn in black was my first choice. Once I made the purchase I noticed that my size went out of stock. That means I supposedly got the last pair but past exp has proven more then once that the last pair is not always available and then the order gets canceled. Then when once you are notified of this your size is out of stock in other colors as everyone goes for what remains. So with limited options in my size I bought another pair in Bone as a cover in case the black did not ship. To my surprise the black was in stock and both arrived overnight. I actually like them a lot though not made in the USA the quality is excellent and for the sale price an outstanding value. I decided to keep both.
IMG_20210702_140852.jpg

Last Sunday I had ordered a pair of the Howard Suede Derby Sneakers they shipped Monday and also arrived today. That was the pair that I had purchased before the sale and was concerned if I could get the diff in the price. But I decided to wait as I did not need 4 pair of sneakers and knew something was going to have to go back. It was the Howard its fit was just not sneaker like and it was to tight in the vamp so they got shipped back today. Overall the Howard was ok but you could see it was a notch down from the other sneakers reflective of its lower cost to be fair.

I had ordered some socks but none showed up seems they are coming under a diff package. I highly recommend AE wool socks they have constantly outlast any other brand I have tried. Wool is actually warm in winter and cool in summer I much prefer over cotton.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My sale sneaker buying frenzy arrived today. 3 of 4 pairs came overnight only ordered yesterday.

The Alpha Suede Slip-On Sneaker was purchased as a home slipper really. Foot pain develops if I go barefoot so I have to wear inside shoes and these are perfect. Slip on easy and comfortably snug real comfy been wearing since they arrived about 9am.

View attachment 1633795

Needed some new walking sneakers so picked up these Osborn Sneakers. Trial fit is great I am sure they will be great on tonight's walk.
View attachment 1633796

This pair was a cover my butt buy. What I mean is the above Osborn in black was my first choice. Once I made the purchase I noticed that my size went out of stock. That means I supposedly got the last pair but past exp has proven more then once that the last pair is not always available and then the order gets canceled. Then when once you are notified of this your size is out of stock in other colors as everyone goes for what remains. So with limited options in my size I bought another pair in Bone as a cover in case the black did not ship. To my surprise the black was in stock and both arrived overnight. I actually like them a lot though not made in the USA the quality is excellent and for the sale price an outstanding value. I decided to keep both.
View attachment 1633797

Last Sunday I had ordered a pair of the Howard Suede Derby Sneakers they shipped Monday and also arrived today. That was the pair that I had purchased before the sale and was concerned if I could get the diff in the price. But I decided to wait as I did not need 4 pair of sneakers and knew something was going to have to go back. It was the Howard its fit was just not sneaker like and it was to tight in the vamp so they got shipped back today. Overall the Howard was ok but you could see it was a notch down from the other sneakers reflective of its lower cost to be fair.

I had ordered some socks but none showed up seems they are coming under a diff package. I highly recommend AE wool socks they have constantly outlast any other brand I have tried. Wool is actually warm in winter and cool in summer I much prefer over cotton.
I thought these were walking sneakers.
CAA2CF5A-CEAD-46AA-AB56-94F3D9105BC4.jpeg
35BD71EE-4842-4F67-9A51-9E3C2C9CFFFE.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just came home from a walk in the rain and noticed this on the vamps of my Daltons View attachment 1633811 . Can anyone tell me if this is because I used too much Saphir wax or is something else going on?
Looks to me like the wax. Not too much as it may be too much in one application. I barely put any wax on my cloth and work it in for a long time. If you apply too much at once, you can never get a smooth thin layer that you need. Clean, condition and be light on the wax and I bet that will not happen again.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought these were walking sneakers.
View attachment 1633817 View attachment 1633818

I agree with you. Issue is my wife seems to think the style like you have above does not go well with gym shorts. I tried to argue this point and lost.

Another more pressing and costly issue comes to mind. Again I agree with you and have taken many walks with the styles like above. Issue is we walk about 3-4 miles a night on concrete and blacktop. I have tried several types of sole guards they get hammered through in no time and I am down to the leather. Dainite seems to last much better but still wears down fast enough to make it costly. I also tend to walk on the outside of my foot so overall wear is uneven mostly on the outside edges and outside heel. This after a bit makes my foot lean even more to the outside further compounding the wear on the outside edge and making my foot sit crooked.

So the cost of these sneakers is equal to or with the sale actually less than the cost of a resole. The rubber on sneakers seems to take on the concrete and blacktop much better and last a bit longer.

So the AE sneakers have several advantages.
-Wife is happy as sneakers with the shorts.
-Cheaper in the long run when sneaker is worn out toss and buy a new one for less then a resole.
-True not as eco friendly but did I mention wife is more friendly so balance.
-Sneaker seems to be more airy and cooler.
-Did I mention wife is more happy...

SJTM

Reaction score
Looks to me like the wax. Not too much as it may be too much in one application. I barely put any wax on my cloth and work it in for a long time. If you apply too much at once, you can never get a smooth thin layer that you need. Clean, condition and be light on the wax and I bet that will not happen again.
Thanks. Saw something similar on a pair of pebble grain PA's the other day. Wax is a new application for me. In the past just used AE cream polish. I think I tend to be a bit heavy handed with both. Rain is forecast all weekend - no golf or cookouts for me. Guess I will try again with a few pair of shoes. Do I need to use anything special to remove the wax? I normally just use Saphir Renovateur and AE cream polish.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was so happy to pick of a pair of burgundy suede at the suede trunk show and then later get an unworn natural shell pair from a previous GMTO

I’m not sure why you would say that. There isn’t anything inherent in the elastic that I can think of that can cause problems. People do shell monks and loafers all the time. Shell wholecuts are hard because of the large flawless hides needed, but the Lombard doesn’t have that issue.

Shell can tear relatively easy from the sort of pressures the elastic would induce.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do AE stores match up with AE's site regarding price? I want to buy a pair of shoes at a store but the guy says it's full price but the site has it down a lot with the current sale. I'm trying to be as vague as possible as I don't mean to offend anyone. just curious. I'm thinking about paying the full price because the shoes are in great condition.
Which shoe are you looking into? Yes, the online price should be honored. Just make sure that the color you're looking at is the same as the one with the lowered price you see online. Sometimes we will discintinue a color but not an entire style.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. Saw something similar on a pair of pebble grain PA's the other day. Wax is a new application for me. In the past just used AE cream polish. I think I tend to be a bit heavy handed with both. Rain is forecast all weekend - no golf or cookouts for me. Guess I will try again with a few pair of shoes. Do I need to use anything special to remove the wax? I normally just use Saphir Renovateur and AE cream polish.
That will work

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Just came home from a walk in the rain and noticed this on the vamps of my Daltons View attachment 1633811 . Can anyone tell me if this is because I used too much Saphir wax or is something else going on?

I actually had a similar problem about two years ago. I wasn't using any wax but I would put way too much Saphir Renovateur on my AEs and this product does have wax in it.

You start spending thousands of dollars are your shoe collection and becoming OCD about your shoes and then you worry about drying out and cracking leather and before you know it your shoes are soaking in Renovateur.

Anyway, I found myself in a vicious cycle of Renovateur-wax crust all over my shoes after wearing them in the rain, then stripping them with Reno'mat, then applying too much Renovateur again for fear that the Reno'mat would make my shoes brittle, and it went on and on. I eventually figured out that properly tanned leather like an AE shoe should not crack for years, even with neglect, the whole tanning process is designed to create a leather that will last. A lot of guys on YouTube were making videos stressing the glory of Renovateur and the dangers of unconditioned shoes and I got sucked in.

My solution was to apply just a minimal amount of Renovateur with a dabber and really work it into the leather. I believe the same will work for you with Saphir Medaille D'Or Pate de Luxe wax.

That being said, with those beautiful Dalton non-ladyboys (forum inside joke), I would only use minimal wax on the toe and heel. I personally don't think a shine is the best look for the Dalton, I would go with a slight coloring or burnishing with a Saphir cream.

Also, you can probably just wipe off that wax crust off with a damp cloth, wait for the shoe to dry, and brush with a horse or pig hair brush and you will be fine. A full stripping of the wax may not be necessary. From experience I can say that works because occasionally I still can't restrain my Renovateur use and the I live in rainy Vancouver and I won't lie occasionally I still get the white splatter spots on my Macneils.

Last edited:

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Howdy fine AE brethren, I have been wearing boat shoes constantly so haven’t been posting much. Finally my navy shell Strands got to go out for a spin today. After brushing off a bit of bloom last night they were raring to go! Have a great holiday weekend!
View attachment 1633599 View attachment 1633600
The more I see examples of Navy/Blue Shell, the more I love them! Looks like you also opted for split reverse welt in Antique/Natural? What soles did you opt for? Single JR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads