• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious if the knob trees were discontinued because of breakage. I was trying to use one of the pairs I recently purchased, and it just wasn't working like it should (frozen tree). I looked at it and noticed there was a pretty big crack in the wood that is close to the metal black thing. I don't know if AE offers warranty on trees. Never had this happen before and I've purchased at least 30 pair of trees from AE.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score

Those are fantastic. When* was this cherry shell offered? Were they MTO?

As for the “ladyboy” comment, one of the forum members’ co-workers opined that his Daltons were effeminate, describing them as “ladyboys” which I can only infer invokes the Thai Kathoey.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are fantastic. Why was this cherry shell offered? Were they MTO?

As for the “ladyboy” comment, one of the forum members’ co-workers opined that his Daltons were effeminate, describing them as “ladyboys” which I can only infer invokes the Thai Kathoey.
Antique cherry = marbled burgundy = shaved burgundy shell. Two years ago it was the Trunk Show special color.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did someone say, "oxblood"? Denim and Daltons today for wingtip Wednesday. Really like that new Bordeaux color as it seems to be a good compromise between merlot and oxblood and really let the warmth of the red tones show through without veering too close to crimson.

My iPhone doesn't like figuring out colors during the .7 seconds I take while standing on the driveway in my backyard watching the dog run around like a spaz before I snap and shoot my footwear for this forum, but in real life these appear on the lighter side of oxblood than my Strands do. While not pink, per se, they definitely do have a pinkish hue. But, a manly pink. At least, that's what I tell myself when I slip on these Ladyboys.

View attachment 1705354
These look really nice with denim. Well played Sir!

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When AE gives me ****, I say it. When AE gives me a blue diamond, I will say it.
This boot order was handled and crafted by women because they are perfect. Thank you, Ladies.
HM just landed.
Shell HM.jpg

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Thank you, my shoe brother.
No one talks about AE's brown shell, but I love it!
That color is superb. The natural welt really makes it pop.

I’m curious how shell boots wear over time, especially the ankle. In my experience shell is more stiff and less pliable than calf and doesn’t conform to the foot as closely.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious if the knob trees were discontinued because of breakage. I was trying to use one of the pairs I recently purchased, and it just wasn't working like it should (frozen tree). I looked at it and noticed there was a pretty big crack in the wood that is close to the metal black thing. I don't know if AE offers warranty on trees. Never had this happen before and I've purchased at least 30 pair of trees from AE.

I love the knob trees and stocked up when Michigan Avenue informed me they were being discontinued. I have a pair for every AE and C&J shoe/boot that I own. So far, ZERO problems. Bring them back, @ae_ashley. Others have taken up the MacNeil cause. I will be the fly in the ointment for the knob'd tree. The fly in the ointment, Hans.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That color is superb. The natural welt really makes it pop.

I’m curious how shell boots wear over time, especially the ankle. In my experience shell is more stiff and less pliable than calf and doesn’t conform to the foot as closely.

Thank you, my shoe brother.
When new, the shell boot is extremely stiff.
I can't give a valid opinion on comfort and do not generally mention it.
I own thirty-nine pairs of AE, and none of them are comfortable to me.
For twenty-six years, my feet have been in running shoes (medical field).
These dress shoes/boots are for date night with my daughter and my side hustle (music gigs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads