• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No longer have the backyard access of a former ladyfriend.

what what.gif

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I did a hipster thing today. Sat down in a restaurant and ordered Uber Eats. Uber was quite fast getting my food and coffee to my table. Waitress worked her but off as I drank 6 cups of coffee and needed some condiments. Since I paid through Uber no tip necessary for the waitress.

Lexel

Reaction score
Curious: are you flat footed? This happens when you're flat footed or you have a very low arch. It's possible that one foot is flatter than the other. Just my first thought.

Hi Ashley

I don’t think I am. My left foot seems to have a similar arch to my right

PANJ

Reaction score
I think that a Strandmok that is not black would be more casual than these Boulevards. Otherwise, I would consider them to be very similar in terms of formality.
Thanks, yea I figured they would be about equal formality but thought I'd get a second opinion. Maybe a Black PA sneaker?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, yea I figured they would be about equal formality but thought I'd get a second opinion. Maybe a Black PA sneaker?

Any sneaker, by definition, is not formal.

A sneaker is more casual than a boat shoe.

Maybe a driving moc is same level formality.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black Boulevards today, but also a question. What is less formal, these Boulevards, or a black Strandmok? bought these because I needed a casual black shoe to go with the chinos/oxford shirts I usually wear but they always seem too formal (despite being a derby shoe). Would a Strandmok be more casual? View attachment 1482960

I think the strandmok is marginally more casual (blue sole and all) but honestly if you are looking for something more casual to go with chinos and oxford shirts I think you need to get away from black.

I would wear burgundy/merlot/brown/walnut with chinos but not black. Black is just too formal IMO.

Unless you have some work requirement to wear black shoes I'd broaden your horizons.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on sales: it's psychology.

If I tell you that you're getting a 400 dollar pair of shoes for 30 percent off, so for 280, it seems like an amazing deal. If I just set the normal price at 280, it seems like the shoes aren't premium.

I don't want Allen Edmonds to become Edward Green and sell boots for 1600, so I love sales, but that's how it goes psychologically.

That being said, I'd love a pair of Edward green. Lol

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't ask but no sale was offered.
The whole thing is strange, in my store the SA’s are privy to online sales and offer the price without asking. The only store where I have heard that you need to ask is Michigan ave. That is because their average shopper is not price sensitive at all.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the strandmok is marginally more casual (blue sole and all) but honestly if you are looking for something more casual to go with chinos and oxford shirts I think you need to get away from black.

I would wear burgundy/merlot/brown/walnut with chinos but not black. Black is just too formal IMO, unless you have some work requirement to wear black shoes I'd broaden your horizons.

Black goes with any long pair of pants, but is not needed necessarily.

I wear black cap toes with chinos, but it isn't my only option. So I agree: wear brown or oxblood when you can!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole thing is strange, in my store the SA’s are privy to online sales and offer the price without asking. The only store where I have heard that you need to ask is Michigan ave. That is because their average shopper is not price sensitive at all.

Well I'll just say this:

One thing the sales at Allen Edmonds does for me, though I love them and shop them, is tell me I'd be a sucker to buy full price. Just wait two months and you'll get your shoes for a lot less.

It is why the collectors club is useless with its discount offer. I am not gonna buy a full priced item because the sale price is better than the discount.

So don't get me wrong: don't get rid of sales. But also: I ain't paying full price.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I didn't ask but no sale was offered.

I have often had to tell an SA that something was on sale "on the website". Sometimes they simply do not know (as far as I can tell) and are happy to double check and give me the sale price. No harm, no foul.

Thoughts on sales: it's psychology.

If I tell you that you're getting a 400 dollar pair of shoes for 30 percent off, so for 280, it seems like an amazing deal. If I just set the normal price at 280, it seems like the shoes aren't premium.

I don't want Allen Edmonds to become Edward Green and sell boots for 1600, so I love sales, but that's how it goes psychologically.

That being said, I'd love a pair of Edward green. Lol

I'm so glad you used the word psychology because that is what most sales and marketing are based on, getting you to do things that you would normally not do (i.e. purchase shoes you do not necessarily need).

Over the years companies have moved to this sale-all-the-time pricing strategy and it unconsciously trained you to wait for the sale so you feel/believe that you got the best price and a good deal when you actually paid exactly what the manufacturer needed to make a decent profit off that item. Sorry to say (and I am sure you already know) that you did not get some special deal, you paid exactly what they wanted you to pay from the beginning. The point is, those shoes were never worth $400. Though, thankfully a few people did pay full price which is just icing on the cake for those bean counters at Caleres.

My wife and I are big fans and customers of Thos Moser furniture. A few years ago the founder/owner of this privately held company wrote a letter that was sent out with the latest paper catalog to current customers. He lamented the fact that after more than 40+ years in business he had to change his pricing strategy and that as of this newest catalog all prices were being significantly raised but that each month a new selection of pieces would go on sale for 15% off. He did not want to do it but the market was forcing him into this new pricing strategy he had to implement if he wanted to stay in touch with "younger people" who will become his new/future customers. It was a sign of the times.

I get that AE is trying to reach a broader audience than most other shoe companies and they are stuck between lower end brands like Johnston and Murphy and next level brands like Carmina and Alden. Add in all the new online-only companies such as Meermin, Cobbler Union, and Grant Stone and the result is that it's not easy being AE these days. This is why I really think they should stop all the frequent sales and create - more clearly defined - pricing tiers (and collections) not unlike Chevy/Cadillac, Ford/Lincoln, Honda/Acura, and Toyota/Lexus. Get people hooked on your lower tier shoes (i.e. made in the DR stuff) and then as they move up in their careers and make more money they can afford the premium shoes (i.e. Strand, Park ave, 5th ave) but do not ever discount premium tier shoes more than 10% and only do it once a year otherwise you just devalue them and your brand. As for shell, lower the price now for stock models but never discount. The basic shell shoe from Carmina at $795 is much better quality and a better value than AE at $695. Maybe most importantly, go hire a few QC and six sigma experts to get quality control issues, under control. Even better, go hire a few people who know how to implement the Toyota Production System.

***** I am no expert but a family friend was a top executive at Ralph Lauren for many years so I would hear about these issues all the time as RL was building his brand into the powerhouse it is today *****

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads