• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should chili shell be burnished or not?
I really can’t believe that we’re already taking sides on this issue. Nobody has seen a burnished pair and compared it to a non-burnished pair.
How do we know which we prefer without seeing them?
My vote is for “wait and see.”

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did watch it, and still think that OPT OUT would be more in keeping with a high end shoe company, rather than OPT IN for bags. I have plenty of surplus bags, so it isn't an issue of not having a bag to keep the boots in, just rather my opinion. Part of the "experience" of purchasing a higher end product, is the packaging and presentation. When I open a pair of footwear and I have received bags, and trees in the case of some, I feel more like they care about me as a consumer. If I get a pair without bags, somehow I feel the company cares a little less about their product (keeping it neat during storage) and thus like they care a little less about me. I know it's rather a silly point, and that many don't store their footwear in bags, but it historically has been part of the experience, which is why I feel they should be standard, but a company should have the option for one to opt-out of the experience if they so choose.
I agree that the bags are a big plus in the presentation department, and also have very practical uses (closets and suitcases).

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bad news is that your lawn has been removed to make way for condos.

The good news is that you now have a shared green space on the roof.
Shared green space lol. Translation: someone else’s kids toys strewn about.

Re: burnishing; I’d take a wait and see approach but leaning toward no burnishing.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@audog I recently bought a 12-pack of 10" x 15" muslin drawstring bags from Amazon. They're not as nice or as thick as the AE or Alden bags, but they're big enough to hold a 9.5E Surrey Chukka (and I can get a 10D Higgins Mill in one without much room to spare - I don't have to; I got bags with my Higgies - but there are bigger ones available):

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As for the burnishing of Chili, I really do not care either way. If I get a pair and do not like the burnish, I will just strip it. Alcohol works nicely for this.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@audog I recently bought a 12-pack of 10" x 15" muslin drawstring bags from Amazon. They're not as nice or as thick as the AE or Alden bags, but they're big enough to hold a 9.5E Surrey Chukka (and I can get a 10D Higgins Mill in one without much room to spare - I don't have to; I got bags with my Higgies - but there are bigger ones available):

Have a 12 pack of those very bags in the closet, for older footwear that somehow has "lost" bags over the years. Appreciate the link however.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a filthy barnweasel in this race, as I'm sitting out this shell trunk show (and spent my existing fun money on a Makita planer last night, just to remove all temptation).

With that being said, last trunk show, I thought I was going to get a pair of bourbon Higgins Mills. But, once I got to the store and saw the bourbon in person, it didn't really work for me. I think a lot of the reason for that was because it wasn't a burnished pair. I felt the color looked kind of flat and lacked depth. Once everyone's pictures started rolling in, and I could see the burnishing in place, it changed the look completely for me. And, I actually felt a little bit of regret of my choice to go with burgundy (which I love).

To me, the burnishing improved the look by 1,000,000%. I feel like the same will happen for the chili, but would love to see a burnished example as well. C'mon @ae_ashley, show us a burnished example so I can start having Trunk Show Regret™2.0.

matwa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sheltons today -

08-29-19 Shelton.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did watch it, and still think that OPT OUT would be more in keeping with a high end shoe company, rather than OPT IN for bags. I have plenty of surplus bags, so it isn't an issue of not having a bag to keep the boots in, just rather my opinion. Part of the "experience" of purchasing a higher end product, is the packaging and presentation. When I open a pair of footwear and I have received bags, and trees in the case of some, I feel more like they care about me as a consumer. If I get a pair without bags, somehow I feel the company cares a little less about their product (keeping it neat during storage) and thus like they care a little less about me. I know it's rather a silly point, and that many don't store their footwear in bags, but it historically has been part of the experience, which is why I feel they should be standard, but a company should have the option for one to opt-out of the experience if they so choose.
I agree it does feel more luxurious that way, but I think their stated intent is better served in this manner. Most people, as you proved, don't think to click an additional button. The majority of people (who likely won't use the bags) would end up with the bags as if they kept giving them to everyone. Only the ones truly adamant about excluding them would leave them out, and those people would likely have made a special request anyway.
It's kinda the same way with laces; I've got a crap load of the base Alden laces (among others) in a drawer that will never see the light of day.
I'm obviously not one that is going to walk everywhere wearing a leather loin cloth yelling "save the planet! don't bathe!", but I do appreciate when companies automate small things that add up to reduce overall waste. *cough* Amazon *cough* free next day air using excessively large packaging *cough* I do recognize this has the added benefit of the bottom line for AE, but that's just smart business. Give the customer the option, and let them not take it. Also, very important, make sure your customer knows what you did for them.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_20190829_061709.jpg
    IMG_20190829_061709.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 33

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't have a filthy barnweasel in this race, as I'm sitting out this shell trunk show (and spent my existing fun money on a Makita planer last night, just to remove all temptation).

With that being said, last trunk show, I thought I was going to get a pair of bourbon Higgins Mills. But, once I got to the store and saw the bourbon in person, it didn't really work for me. I think a lot of the reason for that was because it wasn't a burnished pair. I felt the color looked kind of flat and lacked depth. Once everyone's pictures started rolling in, and I could see the burnishing in place, it changed the look completely for me. And, I actually felt a little bit of regret of my choice to go with burgundy (which I love).

To me, the burnishing improved the look by 1,000,000%. I feel like the same will happen for the chili, but would love to see a burnished example as well. C'mon @ae_ashley, show us a burnished example so I can start having Trunk Show Regret™2.0.
I was kind of wondering if this shell truck show was too close to 2019.1. I am not the kind of guy who buys multiples on the shows. One pair is my limit. And I am sure that a lot of one pair guys are going to decide for whatever reason to skip this one. I think it would have made more sense to come out with another type of Trunk show now and save the Shell for later. Is anyone buying less or not at all this time around?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hadn't tried that yet. You've done this, I take it?
Yes, it does take a bit of elbow grease but if they are new, it is a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads