• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice Sought: Help me out Lawyers and all of SF

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you really that sensitive that you care about some lame steroids comment?

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72

Sometimes I also don't find it easy to ignore inappropriate comments such as this in the workplace even if the person is known for being rude.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
yes, usually it is not the statement that bothers. it is the intent behind it, why is he disrespecting me ?
that bothers. i dont like to disrespected frivolously or any way, unless i find out i have disrespected him earlier in some way

an insulting statement made by a person unknowingly (believe me this can happen)
i can let go and forgive.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kasper
Some of the replies remind me of the Seinfeld episode where George is insulted for eating a lot of shrimp at a business meeting. I don't think he handled the situation properly in the episode despite being rudely insulted also.

See post #26

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72

I wouldn't call it sensitive - that's an ad hominem attack made during a meeting at which Soph was presenting his professional viewpoint. I might have let it slide as he did, but people who derail professional meetings with garbage of that nature should be put in their place.

That said, Soph - you are probably in the minority as far as your build, and that can cause distraction and resentment among your peers and possibly your so-called superiors. That's why I second GT's comments.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Punch him in the face. I don't know why no one mentioned this.

BTW, it's more analogous (compared to the high heel thing) to a woman wearing low cut clothing to show off her cleavage in business situations. It is distracting, and probably not that professional. Professional dress should even the playing field to some extent. Wimpier people's suits (like me) make them look more powerful, while more physically imposing people's dress should deemphasize their physicality to allow their business sense/brain/etc to be the focus of their presentation.

That is, unless your company is selling the Total Gym on TV or something.

vanity

Reaction score
I normally take the steroids comments as a compliment. It means your hard work is paying off, you're getting bigger. Let them think as they wish.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roll with it. There is nothing that makes people want to poke at you more than an over-reaction to teasing. Obsessing over this type of stuff is the opposite of cool. Do you think that Bullit would give a **** if someone told him that his turtleneck sucked?

Of course, you could probably try to intimidate him, but in my experience and from observation, people often react to intimidation in unexpected ways. And seeing that the coworker probably probably will not feel physically intimidated in a work situation (it's not the street or a bar, after all,) you'd probably come off looking and feeling pretty impotent.

Lastly, and this is a genuine question: were you particular aggressive in making your point? If you were, that might have been the cause for the comment (rather than your build alone.) In this case, you might examine whether you should change your delivery.

Edit: I'm no lawyer, but I'd bet good money that you have no legal recourse here.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Edit: I'm no lawyer, but I'd bet good money that you have no legal recourse here.
I dunno -- making comments about a co-worker's body with an attempt to demean and/or control them? Sounds like sexual harrassment to me. That would be pretty cool revenge -- getting him summoned to a meeting with HR to respond to charges of sexually harrassing a male co-worker. Bastard would never live it down.
crackup[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads