• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice: lose some weight!

tjcam

Reaction score
I recently cut out refined sugars and it's amazing how much better I feel from that alone. After a couple weeks I broke down and had a candy bar and I felt blah after about a half hour. I've never paid that kind of attention to how I feel after eating, but once you cut something bad out, it's amazing what you notice.

rickimky

Reaction score
unfortunately it's been the opposite for me. gym's too far away from the new office so seldom went. gained 8kg the past couple of months and it's making me feel glum everytime I try on my pants...they're all so bloody tight...hopefully in a few weeks I'll start a thread saying how great I feel fitting into my pants..

yodawg

Reaction score
can't you eat just healthy 3 meals a day w/ 20-30 mins exercise everyday and be okay? not buffed or ripped and all but just regular looking maybe with a little bit of chub? of course the food would have to be clean and healthy.

bob99

Reaction score
Rickimky, any chance of changing gyms to something closer? I generally feel that the best gym is the one that is closest to your work / home just because getting there is more convenient.

If not, I recommend buying an exercise bike for home. You should be able to get one used for $200-300 on Craigslist. Throw it near a TV and watch a few shows while you ride.

8kg is in no way an insurmountable weight gain. You can knock it off in two months of eating healthy and biking half an hour a night. Good luck!

hooya2

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I was 500+lbs and just lost about 378lbs. the journey was tough but well worth it. I look fantastic in everything now and your wife thinks so too, she cant keep her hands off me now.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Foxtrot56
What the hell? You know spaces are suppose to go after the end of a sentence right? Anyways, diet is not more important than exercise, if you want to lose weight in a safe and healthy way you have to do both, there is almost no way around it.

Diet is about 80% of how you look. Just changing your diet will do more for your appearance than simply adding exercise to your daily grind. Add both and it's even better, of course, but the overall majority of people would look vastly better just by eating better.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen these type of threads come and go pretty often and they are or, rather, can be inspiring. My only issue is, these threads never delve into the actual foods consumed and which foods have been completely eliminated or have been abated slightly.

For those that have mentioned losing upwards of 100lbs -- congrats btw -- could you talk about what your diet looks like? Is it greens, nuts, lean protein no refined sugar...wash, rinse repeat ?

I do the clean eating (read: oatmeal with fruits and flaxseed oil, low-sodium turkey on multigrain, or lentil soup with a salad, grilled chicken and roasted veggies w/ hummus) often, but find it hard to stay on that course day in and day out.

hooya2

Reaction score
stay away from the fruit and multigrain hboogz. take it easy on the hummus as well

joei

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
I
I do the clean eating (read: oatmeal with fruits and flaxseed oil, low-sodium turkey on multigrain, or lentil soup with a salad, grilled chicken and roasted veggies w/ hummus) often, but find it hard to stay on that course day in and day out.

+1 and yes its hard as hell. Especially late night after the club with the a halal cart 100 meters from the club entrance ;[

Eating better is the first step. Until about 2 months ago, I ate horribly and even with working out 6 days a week, I didnt lose any weight. Now I'm eating cleaner and dropping weight consistently and I barely changed my workout regimen.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
Why is it a problem for you? Not enough variety or do you not like those specific foods? e: Also how long have you been maintaining this diet?

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not so much of a problem more than, as you said, the lack of variety. I've lost a lot of weight but I'm about 25 lbs off my ideal weight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads