• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice appreciated on my shirt collar

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice/direction on front of of my collars. I get these from a made-to-measure company and I have some flexibility to alter the height and measurements in detail. To me, it seems like the line of the collar takes drastic pitch downward right before the collar button, as seen in the side view photos below. This makes the tie sit in a way that appears as though it is pulling my shirt collar down from the front or something like that.

My front collar band height is 1" and the back band height is about 1 1/8". I am a shorter guy so this seems about right as far as proportions go. I wouldn't want to go higher in the back and it would seem odd to have a higher collar band in the front than the back, right? The collar is snug around my neck and not loose. Does anyone else see something that can be improved here? If so, what could be going on? Thank you in advance.

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 1.54.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 1.52.46 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 3.57.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 3.53.38 PM.png

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder -- is it possible that what you're seeing is not that the front collar band needs to be raised but rather that the tie space (the gap between the collar leaves) needs to be decreased slightly? IMO the tie space is a little on the wide side.

I do think that 1" is on the shorter side for the front of the collar band. On the other hand, it would be odd for the front to be taller than the back. I would also consider increasing front/back slightly but I know you don't want to increase the height at the back.

suitedcboy

Reaction score
My shirts range a bit in this same area. From my fussing around with the shirts I think the band height is part of it but taper in the band also affects it. I'm using "taper" to describe circumference of bottom of the band being larger than top of the band. It seems on my shirts that if the lower band is smaller that it pushes the collar up on my neck. I'm sure it is more complicated and one thing changes another changes another in shirt collar construction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics