• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advantages of a $1000 Pair of Shoes

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To your first point, Alden does many things very well (like unique makeups in exotic shell colors)..

tbh, no one outside of the Alden thread really cares about that. how much whining is around that this and that makeup on this particular last is not possible/available. it's a love or hate affair for fanboys, imo.

fit is paramount and all that matters at the begin of the journey.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After getting bitten by the bug I have decided to began upgrading my wardrobe and one of my biggest problems is dress shoes. After deciding I would rather pay a bit more to upgrade from AE to Aldens, Churchs, Crockett & Jones, etc (~$500-$600) I have been wondering if it would be worth it to go all the way and purchase EG, JL, or Vass for my first couple pairs. Right now I am looking for a pair of black captoes and probably brown captoes with quarter broguing. What are the additional benefits of paying over $1000 a pair for EG, JL, or Vass (hopefully I can get some sort of deal) over a $500-$600 pair like Aldens, Churchs, or C&J? Obviously the leather is better quality and stitching/construction is better but in the end will I notice that large of a difference or should I save that $1000 ($500/pair) and spend it on something else? Any advice is appreciated.

Let me save you some time. Buy a pair of EGs, preferably in dark oak antique. I personally wouldn't buy a pair of EGs in black. You will most definitely see the difference between those and your AEs and you will never look back. Then you won't be missing out on anything with C&J, et. al. and buying a pair of Vass is just too risky.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As above, except the part about EG shoes in black.

I have owned several EG models in black and there just isn't enough excitement as with their other colors. Also, I find the leather, while nice, difficult to hold a shine. Almost as if the polish doesn't penetrate or something.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

After getting bitten by the bug I have decided to began upgrading my wardrobe and one of my biggest problems is dress shoes. After deciding I would rather pay a bit more to upgrade from AE to Aldens, Churchs, Crockett & Jones, etc (~$500-$600) I have been wondering if it would be worth it to go all the way and purchase EG, JL, or Vass for my first couple pairs. Right now I am looking for a pair of black captoes and probably brown captoes with quarter broguing. What are the additional benefits of paying over $1000 a pair for EG, JL, or Vass (hopefully I can get some sort of deal) over a $500-$600 pair like Aldens, Churchs, or C&J? Obviously the leather is better quality and stitching/construction is better but in the end will I notice that large of a difference or should I save that $1000 ($500/pair) and spend it on something else? Any advice is appreciated.

The price points of these brands is in no way a good indication of the quality of their styling and is also a factor of location (Vass are as well made as JLobb if you ask me), recognition and a slew of other factors. You will also note that they should last about the same amount of time (enough that you'll tire of them) if you have a good rotation (say 5 pairs or more) so "quality" is not really a factor. Since they're on your feet no one outside of boot-licking orgies can see the construction and you will thus be the only one to know. They're "worth it" if you think they"re worth it because you like them better.

bigasahouse

Reaction score

Seriously this cannot be stressed enough!
Also remember that a properly fitting shoe of any design is inherently nicer looking when worn than a poorly fitted uber expensive one.

tbh, no one outside of the Alden thread really cares about that. how much whining is around that this and that makeup on this particular last is not possible/available. it's a love or hate affair for fanboys, imo.
fit is paramount and all that matters at the begin of the journey.

There's so much emphasis on fit from so many members. Can anyone elaborate on proper fit and how best to evaluate it? Thanks!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's so much emphasis on fit from so many members. Can anyone elaborate on proper fit and how best to evaluate it? Thanks!

If your feet hurt when you walk in them or shoes slide/slip when you walk, the fit is not right. I generally only wear John Lobb Prestige or Pierre Corthay 002 lasted shoes. I would say neither fit me perfectly but fit good enough that I can wear them all day and not be uncomfortable. My best fitting shoes are my RL Stantons which I bought about 3-4 years ago and they never get worn anymore (unless its raining) since I don't like the way they look compared to my JL Prestige or Pierre Corthays. A lot of people are emphasizing fit but I will say as long as the shoes fit good enough for you then it doesn't really matter after that.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If your feet hurt when you walk in them or shoes slide/slip when you walk, the fit is not right. I generally only wear John Lobb Prestige or Pierre Corthay 002 lasted shoes. I would say neither fit me perfectly but fit good enough that I can wear them all day and not be uncomfortable. My best fitting shoes are my RL Stantons which I bought about 3-4 years ago and they never get worn anymore (unless its raining) since I don't like the way they look compared to my JL Prestige or Pierre Corthays. A lot of people are emphasizing fit
...but I will say as long as the shoes fit good enough for you then it doesn't really matter after that.

amazing

dfoverdx

Reaction score
Personally, i don't know anything about shoe making but when i take in hand a pair of VASS (especially U and F lasts) i just feel the quality. When i take a CJ (bench or hand) i just feel a pair of shoes.It is not the quality of leather or the material, quality itself, hard to explain but easy to feel. Go and try VASS there's nothing risky in it.

kasakka

Reaction score
Law of diminishing returns. Sure, the top dollar shoes are a tiny bit better, but as shoes they're not going to function any better and at that point you've already got shoes that are equally stylish in price ranges from 1/3 to 1/2 of the highest priced ones.

It doesn't matter what it is, there will always be people willing to pay for "the best". The thing is, for most people "the good" is more than enough and already luxurious enough too so why spend more.

winston1156

Reaction score
Law of diminishing returns. Sure, the top dollar shoes are a tiny bit better, but as shoes they're not going to function any better and at that point you've already got shoes that are equally stylish in price ranges from 1/3 to 1/2 of the highest priced ones.
It doesn't matter what it is, there will always be people willing to pay for "the best". The thing is, for most people "the good" is more than enough and already luxurious enough too so why spend more.
This is probably dead on. Keep in mind that the continuum is really more like $100-$5000 for 'real world' shoes. However, as some have stated, the 'basic back' shoe is probably not where I would go all in on stretching my wallet.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

However, as some have stated, the 'basic black' shoe is probably not where I would go all in on stretching my wallet.

you won't for the most important shoe? well, then...

Geezer

Reaction score

If your feet hurt when you walk in them or shoes slide/slip when you walk, the fit is not right. I generally only wear John Lobb Prestige or Pierre Corthay 002 lasted shoes. I would say neither fit me perfectly but fit good enough that I can wear them all day and not be uncomfortable. My best fitting shoes are my RL Stantons which I bought about 3-4 years ago and they never get worn anymore (unless its raining) since I don't like the way they look compared to my JL Prestige or Pierre Corthays. A lot of people are emphasizing fit but I will say as long as the shoes fit good enough for you then it doesn't really matter after that.

What Tex said, except that even when they fit, good shoes do need breaking in. I'm currently breaking in two pairs of very similar but not identical EGs on the same last in the same size. One pair are fine. The others are still a *****, requiring preventative band-aids on two toes. But I shall defeat them and they shall be fine. (I walk a lot - if I drove to the office, this issue would be much less noticeable.)

And fit really is vital (probably for health reasons).

I like most Lobbs, Cleverleys, many C&Js. But the bloody things do not fit my bloody strange feet. It is imperative to find shoes that fit (in my case EGs on the "8" lasts and some Churches) and then buy lots of them.

I was chatting to a bespoke shoemaker a while ago who was admiring my 20+ year old EGs and let slip "we can't get the leather anymore". So I will not claim the same 20+ year longevity for today's high-end shoes. But the quality is still mostly there, and still worth paying for.

Re: the earlier post about black EGs not taking a shine: that has been my experience of all good black shoes for two decades. Good quality shoes only start taking a proper shine with normal light polishing after you have beaten the heck out of them and re-soled at least once, unless you go for the military "bulling" approach. Brown shoes are actually the same, but look better earlier because they are a colour (whereas black is an absence of colour).

winston1156

Reaction score
you won't for the most important shoe? well, then...
I suppose it depends on budget really. If I were stretching to only buy 'one' nice pair, I would be inclined to purchase something less common to show it off so to speak. If I intended to purchase several more pairs, then black would be at, or near the top of the list. The other thing is that from a short distance, it is more difficult for me to distinguish between leather quality if the color is black rather than a lighter shade.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads