• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ACL POP-Up Flea Market

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what a narcissist. i've actually always liked ACL, regardless of hype or pretext, but M. Williams now just strikes me as a douchebag. A good case of not knowing when to get out of your own way. How do you have a blog and put yourself in the public eye and still remain so thin skinned?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
he really is a nice guy. He has been really helpful and has gone out of his way several times to help me with my private label and store.
I think if you were to hang out with him and get to know him and his personality you would like him too.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He has hated styleforum for awhile now (maybe partly due to a harmless late night drunk rant from whnay) and we're not the only message board that he gets frustrated with.

http://twitter.com/acontinuouslean/status/3507531244

acl_hearts_styleforum.jpg

Link goes here:
facepalm.gif

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the thing is, I believe you. He's done some cool **** and plenty of stuff I really like and appreciate. But chances are i will never meet him or hang out with him. So when all I have to go on are his troll posts or pot-stirring, i'll rise to bait. I know I should ignore it, but the hypocritcal nature of it riles me.

Breakz made great points last night. And like I said: I'm sure you're right. But it still pisses me off and sometimes it feels good not to just bank it and blow it off.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oboy_oboy
what a narcissist. i've actually always liked ACL, regardless of hype or pretext, but M. Williams now just strikes me as a douchebag. A good case of not knowing when to get out of your own way. How do you have a blog and put yourself in the public eye and still remain so thin skinned?

That's bullshit.

I've been a (minor) public figure for a number of years, as a blogger and radio/TV host, and dealing with this baloney never gets easier. The idea that public figures are immune to criticism, or that they "deserve what they get" because they work publicly is absurd.

Working really hard on something and having it criticized is always hard. Having people you don't know make personal judgments about you is harder. For many people, it's worth it to do what you want to do, but it isn't anyone's moral right to be a dick to someone just because they're a public figure.

There are plenty of folks here with reasonable criticisms who expressed them reasonably, and that's fine with me, but don't be a jerk. And understand that maybe, just maybe, Michael would be sensitive about something that he worked incredibly hard on, and cut him some slack.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
fair enough.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See my above comment. I never said he deserves what he gets b/c he's a public figure. You're reading into my comment. Dealing w/ bullshit sucks. That's different than inserting yourself into a conversation that could be easily ignored for the sole purpose of poking at something to get response.

I don't go talk **** on his blog. I read it and enjoy it. The PUF is the kind of event I would LOVE to attend and support. But why am I supposed to be deferential when he comes here and pisses on somethig I like and enjoy and value?

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
That's bullshit. I've been a (minor) public figure for a number of years, as a blogger and radio/TV host, and dealing with this baloney never gets easier. The idea that public figures are immune to criticism, or that they "deserve what they get" because they work publicly is absurd. Working really hard on something and having it criticized is always hard. Having people you don't know make personal judgments about you is harder. For many people, it's worth it to do what you want to do, but it isn't anyone's moral right to be a dick to someone just because they're a public figure. There are plenty of folks here with reasonable criticisms who expressed them reasonably, and that's fine with me, but don't be a jerk. And understand that maybe, just maybe, Michael would be sensitive about something that he worked incredibly hard on, and cut him some slack.
I agree with all this. But the dude is still a cry-baby.

Pangolin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
That's bullshit.

I've been a (minor) public figure for a number of years, as a blogger and radio/TV host, and dealing with this baloney never gets easier. The idea that public figures are immune to criticism, or that they "deserve what they get" because they work publicly is absurd.

Working really hard on something and having it criticized is always hard. Having people you don't know make personal judgments about you is harder. For many people, it's worth it to do what you want to do, but it isn't anyone's moral right to be a dick to someone just because they're a public figure.

There are plenty of folks here with reasonable criticisms who expressed them reasonably, and that's fine with me, but don't be a jerk. And understand that maybe, just maybe, Michael would be sensitive about something that he worked incredibly hard on, and cut him some slack.

But that goes with the media he chose to use. If he doesn't like criticism, why even bother having a blog?
He doesn't deserve criticism for what he does (granted I don't give a **** about what he does and never looked at his blog before yesterday), but for the way he reacts to it.

mwilliamspr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
He has hated styleforum for awhile now (maybe partly due to a harmless late night drunk rant from whnay) and we're not the only message board that he gets frustrated with.

http://twitter.com/acontinuouslean/status/3507531244

acl_hearts_styleforum.jpg

Link goes here:
facepalm.gif

I think everyone should move on from this topic. I have already been on here twice now this week and that only leaves me one more visit till the end of the year. Plus, there are now two full blown threads just dedicated to me.

Honestly, I am a total outsider here and you guys are right that it sucks for me to come in here and **** on something you like. No different from people ******** on an event I planned, I suppose. I feel like I go out of my way to help people and brands and everyone else all the time and all just to get fucked with. Anyway, I don't take it personally 99% of the time but every once in a while I like to stir up the pot and give a little back.

In regards to the flea, it wasn't supposed to be a scene or a clusterfuck of the same looking work wear dude, it was meant to be a bunch of brands Goldberg and I liked and are friends with. That's it. No one does **** for menswear and everyone just accepts that. Well, we just figured that if no one is going to do anything, we might as well. You didn't have to buy **** either, people could just come down and drink a free beer on us.

All that said, if you don't like me and don't read ACL (or hate it, either way), I'm fine with that. Its not for everyone. But to be negative for negative's sake is just silly "” and that goes for me and you.

MW

P.S. Robin I'm never going to let you comment on ACL because of your insistence on referring to me as a "PR Flack." Which one is it? That's like saying someone is a Policeman Cop. Just call me a flack.

whiskeylaureate

Reaction score
I met Michael and Mordechai while I was there, and truth be told I really liked both of them. We had a good convo about his blog and the readers' personal investment being both a blessing and a curse. He didn't seem the least bit pretentious.

The one thing that was clear is that Michael's personally invested in ACL--it's his personal blog, after all. I'd find it weird if he weren't defensive. Then again, I'm a defensive mofo myself. My blood boils for a sec after people talk **** on my posts, even if I'm talking **** about someone else in them.

To create something like the PUF that appeases everyone and is financially viable is a difficult prospect. I heard a lot of talk about the curation there. Some people wanted all made in USA stuff, others wanted a more diverse lineup, others wanted a more homogenous lineup (no bespoke). Bottom line, he's fucked any way you slice it. But, if you read the blog, it was pretty consistent with what he features.

Everyone handles this **** differently, but I think his honesty and defensiveness are endearing for a small (OK, pretty big) personal blog. It's what keeps me coming back. I didn't buy anything, but I'm also not the disposable-income-having type at the moment, so I don't buy much besides lunch these days anyways...

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mwilliamspr
P.S. Robin I'm never going to let you comment on ACL because of your insistence on referring to me as a "PR Flack." Which one is it? That's like saying someone is a Policeman Cop. Just call me a flack.
You never post my comments anyway!
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads