• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A visit to John Lobb in Northampton

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Yeah but it's not as if "companies like Mezlan" are cannibalizing JL/EG sales.

In away they are. They sell large volumes and that makes the style/look more common.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
In away they are. They sell large volumes and that makes the style/look more common.
I think I've exceeded my daily snark quota so I'll just say that I disagree with everything you just said.

smile.gif

PB

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is zero overlap b/w JL and Mezlan customers so even if Mezlan were to copy the entire JL lineup, this would have absolutely no effect on JL sales.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
There is zero overlap b/w JL and Mezlan customers so even if Mezlan were to copy the entire JL lineup, this would have absolutely no effect on JL sales.
EL and I agree on something!
wow.gif
<Head explodes>

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so, ah.....what's the final word on the mexican connection? reading that made me a little skittish about my favorite brand of shoes.

is there any way the prestige line is being made/ has been made/ will be made in mexico?

anxiously awaiting an informed answer on this one...
plain.gif

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
so, ah.....what's the final word on the mexican connection? reading that made me a little skittish about my favorite brand of shoes.

is there any way the prestige line is being made/ has been made/ will be made in mexico?

anxiously awaiting an informed answer on this one...
plain.gif

Surely a forum member is walking the beaches of the Yucatan as we speak with his camera in hand, looking for abused workers hand sewing Vales in the hot sun so we can put a stop to this shameful practice.

observer

Reaction score
Looking forward to the next installment of Bishop's account: hopefully the visits to EG and C&amp;J

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72

In the beginning that's the same mentality LV and Gucci had. If Mezlan copied some of the popular JL styles and flooded the market with $300 copies. Would you still pay $1200 for the JL model. Or whould you select another high-end shoe that wasn't so popular? Do you really think the average guy (not SF/askandy readers) know the differences between JL, EG, ColeH, and Mezlans)?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by observer
Looking forward to the next installment of Bishop's account
As am I, but I wouldn't blame him if he blew us off. He was treated poorly, by a few.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the beginning that's the same mentality LV and Gucci had. If Mezlan copied some of the popular JL styles and flooded the market with $300 copies. Would you still pay $1200 for the JL model. Or whould you select another high-end shoe that wasn't so popular? Do you really think the average guy (not SF/askandy readers) know the differences between JL, EG, ColeH, and Mezlans)?
honestly, yes, I think the average JL buyer knows that he's not just buying a style but buying something that's well made and high quality. It Cole Haan made something styled the same but made to Cole Haan standards, I don't think JL buyers would suddenly swarm over to Cole Haan.

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StockwellDay

I hope none of the negative comments dissuades Bishop from posting his experience at C&J and EG. What's the point of SF if not for threads like this.

Agreed. Screw J. Lobb if they take offense at this thread or, worse, reprimand employees for inadvertantly facilitating this thread. We are the target demographic. They should give the clicker a raise.

barcol

Reaction score
After seeing this thread I decided to take a diversion to the factory shop whilst traveling on business, the end result being the purchase of a pair of Stamford loafers (+shoe trees)
smile.gif
. The Stamford loafer is currently the first picture you see after selecting your location on the John Lobb website, mine are Parisian brown - as per the picture/s on the website.

My request to take pictures in the shop was declined so you'll have to make do with another pic of the exterior:

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barcol
My request to take pictures in the shop was declined so you'll have to make do with another pic of the exterior
So I wonder if that's in response to this thread. If so, I think it would be outrageously stupid, since this is basically free advertising -- to at least part of the target demo they are most trying to reach.

bishop24

Reaction score
Rest assured I haven't blown you guys off. I wouldn't let the feelings of a few ruin it for all of you guys. Work keeps me busy, particularly on the weekends so I probably won't have the EG installment ready until next week as it is a photo-heavy one. However, until then, I can offer you a small installment regarding my visits to C&J and G&G.

CROCKETT & JONES

As with Lobb, I thought it might be best to e-mail C&J to let them know about the possibility of my visit. This was the information they e-mailed me the day prior:

Thank you for your recent e-mail. We do have a Factory Shop at our premises in Perry Street, Northampton. It is open on Friday afternoons from 2.00 p.m. until 5.30 p.m. and Saturday mornings from 9.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m.

Tel:- 01604 631 515

Kind regards,
Crockett & Jones Ltd.

With that knowledge, I arrived just before 2 PM. Going up to the second floor to reception, the lady informed me that the shop was about to open and that it was downstairs just to the right of the main entrance behind a fairly non-descript door. Inside, they had quite a selection. Of all my visits, the factory shop at C&J felt most like a regular shoe store. It was also the busiest--with two other groups of 3-4 people waiting for the store to open. In terms of prices, I only noted down that C&J Handgrades were being sold for 220 GBP.

I, unfortunately, don't have any pictures of C&J. With chances to purchase shoes from JL, EG, and G&G, I didn't have a heck of a lot of a budget left and I really didn't want to spend a lot of time keeping Tony Gaziano waiting. I browsed briefly with Tony who seemed chiefly interested in the handgrades. I asked what he was looking for in particular when he inspected other shoemakers' work. He said that he was primarily interested in the quality of construction--how they handle the rolling and beveling of the waist, for example--as opposed to the vagaries of styling. While we were looking them over, an older gentleman came out and greeted Tony. I'm not sure what his function was (I don't think it had anything to do with the store as the receptionist indicated that the person who ran the store was a woman), but they seemed on good terms--Northampton, particularly the shoe sub-culture in Northampton seems a small one.

GAZIANO & GIRLING

We talked about a few things while in the car. He had just returned from Japan and was amazed at the level of service stores offer their customers: that the entire staff greet a customer at the door; that they read a customer very well and are attentive without being smothering. He talked a little about where he felt the company was headed. He did say that currently the bespoke operations of G&G are what is keeping the company afloat. He didn't think nor did he seem to want the company to become particularly large. Once they've made enough RTW stock, they'd like to liaise with a company or two to sell some of their shoes abroad while possibly establishing a small boutique in London. Tony was most passionate about his bespoke shoes and clientele: he envisions the day that demand increases such that the bespoke process becomes by invitation only. He'd like to create a bespoke brochure should Dean (who seems to handle most of the financial side of the business) give him the green light featuring the many options available to a customer. I asked him about his time at Edward Green of which he had only positive things to say. He did mention that he feels that it was only after he moved to Cleverley's that he felt like he truly learned the art of shoe-making. However, he is grateful for his time at EG, especially as it has done him a great service in lending him credibility and repute to his company.

We spent most of our time in Tony's workroom. There, he showed me the lasts he's made for his bespoke customers. The ones you see in the pictures below represent about 1/3 to a 1/2 of his current bespoke clientele. The ridged last that you see on the table is essentially the blank canvas he begins with before shaping it to a customer's foot.
420436746_7cd3850acb.jpg

420436747_beeb17220a.jpg

Some shoes in progress
420436742_8bcb58908b.jpg

The man himself
420436758_2520d0ca22.jpg

Tony asked what size I was fitted for under the 888 last at EG and he said that I would probably be the same size as his current MTO lasts are modeled after the 888. In terms of the fit between different last styles that G&G offers, he said that they were all fairly comparable as the major differences were in the toe shape. He then drew an outline of my feet and measured both the length as well as the circumference around my arch.

I ended up ordering the Carlyle in vintage cedar on the TG73 (Mitchell) last. With no VAT, the price for MTO was 445 GBP and 74 GBP for the shoe trees (I opted for the very sleek-looking mahogany). They will be ready in 5 months or by the first of August; the production process is taking a little longer than initially expected.

The shoes that I did see were really quite beautiful and I think it's awesome that many of us are supporting a smaller, more independent company.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
latinphrases33