• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

JChong8

Reaction score
I also stumbled upon this thread after just purchasing two pairs of L.G.R sunglasses. I frequent Mr. Porter and always follow their "New this week" drops, so I was familiar with seeing L.G.R sunglasses on there in various styles. So I knew they were more expensive and higher quality glasses.

This thread is definitely awesome as Tsujigiri and others have went into great depth and provided details with specific brands and styles. I was able to buy the "Massawa" and the "Mauritius" sunglasses for $108 USD. Yes, 54$ a pair. They were in my local Marshalls store and I was shocked when I was browsing and came across L.G.R sunglasses as I mentioned seeing them online on sites like MatchesFashion and Mr.Porter. I obviously felt I couldn't go wrong by adding two very good quality frames to my collection for $108.

MrZBrown

Reaction score
I also stumbled upon this thread after just purchasing two pairs of L.G.R sunglasses. I frequent Mr. Porter and always follow their "New this week" drops, so I was familiar with seeing L.G.R sunglasses on there in various styles. So I knew they were more expensive and higher quality glasses.

This thread is definitely awesome as Tsujigiri and others have went into great depth and provided details with specific brands and styles. I was able to buy the "Massawa" and the "Mauritius" sunglasses for $108 USD. Yes, 54$ a pair. They were in my local Marshalls store and I was shocked when I was browsing and came across L.G.R sunglasses as I mentioned seeing them online on sites like MatchesFashion and Mr.Porter. I obviously felt I couldn't go wrong by adding two very good quality frames to my collection for $108.

That's awesome! Of course YMMV, what town did you find those in?

nepats81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
question - I have a pair of maui jims with crooked arms - when laying flat on a table one arm is raised while the other is touching the table. Where should I take these to get fixed? A lenscrafters? Thank you

JChong8

Reaction score
question - I have a pair of maui jims with crooked arms - when laying flat on a table one arm is raised while the other is touching the table. Where should I take these to get fixed? A lenscrafters? Thank you

Just saw your message now. I feel that many optical shops or yes, lenscrafters can do a heat and adjustment of the frame for you. I don't think it would cost much at all and wouldn't be too difficult on their part.

jdim

Reaction score
Hello!

This is a bit of a desperate post. I bought a pair of sunglasses at a fleamarket in Leipzig a month or so ago - literally the first pair that I've ever loved and worn and have fit my face. They cost just 5€. The guy said he bought them for his girlfriend but she didn't like them. I'm not sure if they were new or vintage, but they were a bit crooked.

Anyways, I took the sunglasses to California and.....LOST THEM. I can't remember the brand name but thought I would give it a try here in case there are any experts.... They were definitely Italian (the name had something like Rizzo or Mia...definitely two words). They were tortoiseshell, dark lenses, and had a gold accent in the corner of each which looked like this (small snap button):

upload_2018-5-17_18-17-27.png

The shape was a bit cat eye but not so extreme. Something like this:

Any help would be appreciated!! upload_2018-5-17_18-27-21.png

EDIT: this is how they looked:

upload_2018-5-17_18-44-11.png

Last edited:

MrZBrown

Reaction score
@Solverson What do you consider to be that price range? Are we talking Ebay prices or legit Sunglass Hut prices? How about a dollar figure.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Could you guys list some quality brands in the Rayban and Persol price range?

Roughly estimating, I would say to look at Serengeti and Maui Jim if optics are the most important to you. For acetate frames, Retrosuperfuture does a good job. For metal, look at Randolph Engineering and American Optical.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Tsujigiri igiri: what sunglass brands are you into nowadays? I'm on the verge of getting a pair of Jaques Marie Mage's, and wondered if you had thoughts on them.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
@Tsujigiri igiri: what sunglass brands are you into nowadays? I'm on the verge of getting a pair of Jaques Marie Mage's, and wondered if you had thoughts on them.

I haven't actually gotten a chance to handle those, but the frame shapes look very interesting. If you do go through with it, please share your experience here!

Now I'm mostly wearing Salt Optics, IC! Berlin, Mykita, and Leisure Society. I'll try and do a writeup on Leisure Society later, I've been very impressed with their functionality for such a fancy frame. Also have added a few others to the collection I've neglected writing about like Kirk&Kirk, Feb31st, Linda Farrow, and Ralph Vaessen.

MrZBrown

Reaction score
I haven't actually gotten a chance to handle those, but the frame shapes look very interesting. If you do go through with it, please share your experience here!

Now I'm mostly wearing Salt Optics, IC! Berlin, Mykita, and Leisure Society. I'll try and do a writeup on Leisure Society later, I've been very impressed with their functionality for such a fancy frame. Also have added a few others to the collection I've neglected writing about like Kirk&Kirk, Feb31st, Linda Farrow, and Ralph Vaessen.

I've gone with Salt Optics, Maui Jim for water stuff and LGR for my daily drivers (although the glass does get heavy after awhile). Are there any new brands out there making high quality stuff I can go get? It's a real effort when you are surrounded by Sunglass Huts to find new stuff.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, if you could do some more reviews, that would be deadly. I just recently started getting into sunglasses, and reading this thread was what informed and motivated me. I ended up kopping two pairs of Dita's earlier this summer, and have been wearing them a lot (both aviator-style models, which I bought mainly for the aesthetic qualities). I looked really hard at ic!berlin, Mikita, and salt based upon your write-ups, and continue to consider them, although I'm not sure they fit my aesthetic.

@MrZBrown: I advise looking at Dita, Jacques Marie mage, as well as the brands written up by Tsuji above.

MrZBrown

Reaction score
Yes, if you could do some more reviews, that would be deadly. I just recently started getting into sunglasses, and reading this thread was what informed and motivated me. I ended up kopping two pairs of Dita's earlier this summer, and have been wearing them a lot (both aviator-style models, which I bought mainly for the aesthetic qualities). I looked really hard at ic!berlin, Mikita, and salt based upon your write-ups, and continue to consider them, although I'm not sure they fit my aesthetic.

@MrZBrown: I advise looking at Dita, Jacques Marie mage, as well as the brands written up by Tsuji above.

Yeah this was my go to thread way back when. I didn't love Dita models, they just didnt speak to me. I have been browsing JMM as we speak to see what my next purchase will be! I've tried on or viewed online pretty much every model from Tsujigiri mentioned. I hadnt heard of JMM before though. Just curious if anything new had popped on the scene.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads