• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

jglenn777

Reaction score

Thanks for the response

Comparing to your pics I see that the made in Japan text is different (mine all in lowercase) and my pair do not have a product code on the left arm.

Really appreciate your pics, thanks

Yeah when I compare side by side the text is way off. The other thing is the hinges are crooked and cheap. I would open a case with ebay citing that the product is not authentic and/or leave that seller negative feedback to warn others.

clamshell

Reaction score
Thank jhlenn777

Managed to get a full refund from the seller! He had not sent them out yet and I was just going off the pictures.

He claimed they were a gift but said organizing a refund was no problem

jglenn777

Reaction score
Thank jhlenn777

Managed to get a full refund from the seller! He had not sent them out yet and I was just going off the pictures.

He claimed they were a gift but said organizing a refund was no problem
Great work! There is nothing positive about fake products on the market.

Last edited:

JEdge

Reaction score
Looking to purchase my second pair of L.G.R sunglasses and wanted to touch base on the brand since it has been a few years. With promising brands constantly being bought up, I didn't want to assume that nothing has changed with the brand since my last purchase in 2014. Looking at the following:

http://www.lgrworld.com/shop/nairobi/havana-tartarugato-polarized-aquamarine-lenses/

A few of the nit-picks on my previous pair were the lenses and the fit.

The glass lenses were better than almost everything I tried outside of Costa 580 glass lenses and perhaps some Maui Jim glass lenses. I believe my previous pair had the "Blue HD Lenses" by L.G.R which were not polarized and seem to be on the lower-end of what they offer. Those at the link above are polarized and also have a neophan film, which i'm hopeful will replicate what I've experienced with Costa's. Appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Second nit-pick related to fit, particularly around the nose. Since the glass lenses are heavier, I had issues with impromptu bursts of activity causing the glasses to shoot off my face and onto the ground. Also when sweating, the glasses would fall or slip even when motionless. Any suggestions? I've thought in the past that I could buy some sort of rubber with one-sided tape on the nose piece...

Appreciate your thoughts!

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Looking to purchase my second pair of L.G.R sunglasses and wanted to touch base on the brand since it has been a few years. With promising brands constantly being bought up, I didn't want to assume that nothing has changed with the brand since my last purchase in 2014. Looking at the following:

http://www.lgrworld.com/shop/nairobi/havana-tartarugato-polarized-aquamarine-lenses/

A few of the nit-picks on my previous pair were the lenses and the fit.

The glass lenses were better than almost everything I tried outside of Costa 580 glass lenses and perhaps some Maui Jim glass lenses. I believe my previous pair had the "Blue HD Lenses" by L.G.R which were not polarized and seem to be on the lower-end of what they offer. Those at the link above are polarized and also have a neophan film, which i'm hopeful will replicate what I've experienced with Costa's. Appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Second nit-pick related to fit, particularly around the nose. Since the glass lenses are heavier, I had issues with impromptu bursts of activity causing the glasses to shoot off my face and onto the ground. Also when sweating, the glasses would fall or slip even when motionless. Any suggestions? I've thought in the past that I could buy some sort of rubber with one-sided tape on the nose piece...

Appreciate your thoughts!
Agree about the fit on LGR's. The nosepads are not as built up as on many other brands, and that combined with the heavy glass lenses and comfortably loose fit from the spring hinges causes them to slip down the nose more easily. I don't know of any high end brands that are as committed to using glass lenses as LGR is (a few have glass lenses here and there), but there are some other options with great optics if CR-39 is acceptable. I'd definitely take a look at Salt Optic's offerings; the newer ones come with polarization and antireflective coatings as standard and they have a wide variety of tints to choose from. Salts are also more precisely built in my experience, whereas LGR's are functionally good but a little "rustic" in finishing. The Salt Dawson is a similar shape to the model you're looking at with LGR. Another high end brand that's impressed me with their optics is Leisure Society.

I haven't tried the Costa lenses you're referring to, but I have tried Maui Jim's glass lenses and found them to be very good. Salt and Leisure Society are consistently good with lenses in my experience, but there are a good number of other brands that offer very nice Zeiss lenses on some models. Mykita, Chrome Hearts, and IC! Berlin come to mind, but keep in mind that only some models and colorways from those brands are polarized. There is also a big difference between Zeiss's basic lenses and their higher grade ones, (eg Retrosuperfuture vs Mykita), so Zeiss brand lenses aren't a surefire indicator of top quality optics.

Last edited:

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Anybody know who currently makes Brioni's made in Japan range?

These are made by the largest factory in Japan which produces eyewear. They've also produced some DH styles from 2009 to 2012 and Matsuda's range along with some of the early TB styles before the factory that produces Globe Specs and Dita took over.

skenney

Reaction score
These are made by the largest factory in Japan which produces eyewear. They've also produced some DH styles from 2009 to 2012 and Matsuda's range along with some of the early TB styles before the factory that produces Globe Specs and Dita took over.

So would you say the quality is on point? Or not so much due to it being such a large factory?

MrZBrown

Reaction score
Tsujigiri, just picked up a pair of Tangieri from LGR. Thanks for the knowledge. They fit awesome, although I had to get them to tighten the arms a bit in back to make sure they didn't slip. I used to have some Persol's 714SM in the blue so I was ready for the heavy glass lenses. I will say, day one, I wish they had a better polarization option. The quality of the lens and its clarity is freaking fantastic (on par with my Maui jims) but not having polarization might make me return them. I got their new Blue HD, which is insanely clear but not polarized, now I wonder if I should swap. I really like the heft and feel of them though. Really high quality. I have some Cliff House MJs which are feather light if thats what I am looking for in the moment but was hoping to get more glare reduction on the LGR.

hennree

Reaction score
Any recommendations for brands that offer frames with a narrow bridge?

Trying to find some suitable for my wife but haven't had much luck so far. Tried a couple of stores & opticians and looked at specific designers such as Oliver Peoples & Garrett Leight, but none of them work for her.

Also spent some time in the Moscot store but they only had two pairs that just about worked size-wise, but she wasn't keen on the style.

Othello

Reaction score
I would try cutler and gross first, they seem to have a lot of narrow bridge styles/keyhole style, then Barton Perreira, and Masunaga all have styles your mentioning

Trying to find some suitable for my wife but haven't had much luck so far. Tried a couple of stores & opticians and looked at specific designers such as Oliver Peoples & Garrett Leight, but none of them work for her.

Also spent some time in the Moscot store but they only had two pairs that just about worked size-wise, but she wasn't keen on the style.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Tsujigiri, just picked up a pair of Tangieri from LGR. Thanks for the knowledge. They fit awesome, although I had to get them to tighten the arms a bit in back to make sure they didn't slip. I used to have some Persol's 714SM in the blue so I was ready for the heavy glass lenses. I will say, day one, I wish they had a better polarization option. The quality of the lens and its clarity is freaking fantastic (on par with my Maui jims) but not having polarization might make me return them. I got their new Blue HD, which is insanely clear but not polarized, now I wonder if I should swap. I really like the heft and feel of them though. Really high quality. I have some Cliff House MJs which are feather light if thats what I am looking for in the moment but was hoping to get more glare reduction on the LGR.

Glad you like them! Glass is a little harder to come by among the high end brands. I suppose it depends on how much you need the scratch resistance. If you decide that you don't need the scratch resistance as much as the polarization, I'd take a look at the CR39 lens sunglasses from Salt Optics or Leisure Society. They both have excellent lenses and come with polarization and anti glare standard.

Brands usually have a variety of sizes and styles to suit different customers, so you may have to look at the full lineup for a few brands to find the models that fit. I would suggest looking at frames that have adjustable metal nosepads (which can be found on both metal and acetate frames) since these allow you (or an optician) to bend the nosepads inwards to fit. You might also want to look at frames meant for the Asian market, since they often have narrower bridges to accommodate Asian facial geometry. Matsuda and Masunaga would be worth looking at if you can find a local stockist.

hennree

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Cutler and Gross seem to work well so I'll be taking a closer look at those. I can't see that I have a Matsuda or Masunaga stockist nearby.

Questionnaire

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Oliver Peoples sunglasses and I'd like to have Zeiss prescription lenses put into them.

Should I let the Oliver Peoples store handle this or should I take them elsewhere?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads