• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Study in Stripes: Regimental and Repp Ties

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ I see what you're saying. For me, it is interesting to learn the origin of certain striped designs, but it's after the fact, has no meaning to me, and thus no influence on whether or not I purchase a tie. I judge on aesthetic appeal only, like you, jrd; we are in agreement.

Last edited:

teoky

Reaction score
IMO the most important thing is how the ties will fit into one's wardrobe. The history behind the tie is a plus but won't influence the purchasing decision, unless one have relation to the history/organisation.

Question: Which stripe tie do you think every gentlemen should own (in SF at least) and which is your favourite stripe tie?

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

IMO the most important thing is how the ties will fit into one's wardrobe. The history behind the tie is a plus but won't influence the purchasing decision, unless one have relation to the history/organisation.

Question: Which stripe tie do you think every gentlemen should own (in SF at least) and which is your favourite stripe tie?

I already stated my favorite striped tie: navy w/ white double bar stripes in shantung fabric. It is the striped version of a navy w/ white dots tie, in my mind. However, I won't go so far as to say every gentleman should own one. I don't think there is any single particular striped tie that can be classified as a "must own". There are simply too many variations of stripes and colors, and personal taste plays a huge role. This is a good thread, but let's be careful not to overthink, or oversimplify, striped ties.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Something in navy would probably be best as a first stripe tie, but it depends on what other color ties you have already.

Can't pick a clear favorite, but my least favorite tie in the collection might be the brown with white stripes. It's a vintage tie from the 60s that I inherited. Keep it for sentimental reasons, but I rarely wear it. Stripes are too thin.

teoky

Reaction score
I already stated my favorite striped tie: navy w/ white double bar stripes in shantung fabric. It is the striped version of a navy w/ white dots tie, in my mind. However, I won't go so far as to say every gentleman should own one. I don't think there is any single particular striped tie that can be classified as a "must own". There are simply too many variations of stripes and colors, and personal taste plays a huge role. This is a good thread, but let's be careful not to overthink, or oversimplify, striped ties.

Not trying to over-think or oversimplify here.. Just would like to know the general thought on which striped tie (colour, pattern, fabric) get the most vote. I think it will be helpful for people like me who just started in ties to know which striped tie will get the most use of.

I think a navy stripe (like the pic below) will be a good place to start, but I need to receive all my striped ties before I can decide.

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Not trying to over-think or oversimplify here.. Just would like to know the general thought on which striped tie (colour, pattern, fabric) get the most vote. I think it will be helpful for people like me who just started in ties to know which striped tie will get the most use of. I think a navy stripe (like the pic below) will be a good place to start, but I need to receive all my striped ties before I can decide.
Well, yeah, like jrd and I already expressed, a navy ground striped tie would be a good place to start. But you can't really get any more specific than that, and the same can be said for almost any tie; navy ties are among the most versatile, be it a solid, neat, striped, what have you. But beyond that, the specifics are largely up to individual style, taste, needs, wardrobe, etc.

Last edited:

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Btw, jrd: how long did it take you to arrange all your ties like that for the pics? OCD much??

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have to even ask? This is StyFo, after all. Everyone is OCD here :)

Mainly wanted to take some good pictures to encourage others to post their collections. Took all of 5 mins

Btw, jrd: how long did it take you to arrange all your ties like that for the pics? OCD much??

Last edited:

teoky

Reaction score
Alright, I get it, thanks
smile.gif

So I guess if you get a Navy striped and following the suggestion by jrd on the first page, one shouldn't go wrong, provided the colour and pattern fits well in your wardrobe.

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Do you have to even ask? This is StyFo, after all. :)

Mainly wanted to take some good pictures to encourage others to post their collections. Took all of 5 mins

Hehe. Not trying to knock you. I appreciate the pics! :) I don't have nearly that many striped ties myself, otherwise I'd offer some pics, too... all lined-up and pretty...

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Cleav can you inform us Yanks about current British customs on the wearing of regimental tie stripes?

Is it still a faux pas to wear a tie from a military unit that you have no connection to? Or have customs about that loosened?

From the Hober site:

Many American gentlemen have philosophically decided that in the USA anything goes but while in Great Britain they will be much more careful with what they wear.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?61358-Which-way-should-Regimental-stripes-go

Last edited:

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's mine.

Navy / blue family

Makers (from left to right):

Top row: Corneliani, E. G. Cappelli (via Ich_Dien), Charvet, RLP x 2, Brioni x 2

Bottom row: Isaia, RLPL x 2 (via Malford of London), Passaggio Cravatte (via Exquisite Trimmings), Isaia, Faconnable, Brioni

Linen, wool, and cashmere seasonal gear

Ede & Ravenscroft, Passaggio Cravatte (from Gianni, my favorite!), Isaia, Hansen & Jacob

And some random repps

Top row: Bruno Piattelli, RLPL x 2, Cesare Attolini (via PocketCircle), Canali, Faconnable, Drake's (via A Suitable Wardrobe), Sartoria Partenopea

Bottow row: Pal Zileri, Borrelli (via Ich_Dien), Kiton, RLP, Faconnable, Les Copains, Cappelli (via A Suitable Wardrobe), Brioni

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads