• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

DCTieGuy

Reaction score
Does anyone have midnight blue and soft navy #11 in either grenadine weaves? I'm looking to pick one for a grossa but curious to see them together as I'm having a hard time really deciding on which "navy" to get. Most pics I see in this thread or in google search only seem to show the old navy #10 which isn't available anymore.

I might just get the grossa midnight with brown and soft blue stripes instead of a solid navy as well as I feel it could work well with my copper/brown linen suit.

I have an older midnight grossa that is often confused by others for being black. Between the two, I’d go with the soft navy.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear the midnight with blue and brown stripes all the time. Super useful.

I also have the midnight grossa, a fina #10, and promoteo #7 and there is plenty of difference in color between all 3 to merit owning them all.

I will caution you that the promoteo #7 is beginning to get out of the navy territory and into the blue category. I’d worry that soft navy, which is supposed to be lighter, is just “blue.”

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of piccola #22 and prometeo #23, which Hober calls "dark navy blue"--a perfect description. It falls somewhere in the middle to darker range of the spectrum; it's definitely a navy blue (as opposed to just "blue"), but not quite so dark that it ever looks black, like the Hober "midnight" grenadines tend to do as has been pointed out.

I can post pics if interested.

I'll also say that if you wear ties often, and like blue ties (who doesn't?), then I agree with @CLTesquire and can absolutely see merit to owning several of the various shades and weaves Hober offers.

Last edited:

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear the midnight with blue and brown stripes all the time. Super useful.

I also have the midnight grossa, a fina #10, and promoteo #7 and there is plenty of difference in color between all 3 to merit owning them all.

I will caution you that the promoteo #7 is beginning to get out of the navy territory and into the blue category. I’d worry that soft navy, which is supposed to be lighter, is just “blue.”
That's exactly what I'm worried about with the soft navy. I mean I could definitely wear it, but it might not be the true "navy" that I'm looking for.

I'm a big fan of piccola #22 and prometeo #23, which Hober calls "dark navy blue"--a perfect description. It falls somewhere in the middle to darker range of the spectrum; it's definitely a navy blue (as opposed to just "blue"), but not quite so dark that it ever looks black, like the Hober "midnight" grenadines tend to do as has been pointed out.

I can post pics if interested.

I'll also say that if you wear ties often, and like blue ties (who doesn't?), then I agree with @CLTesquire and can absolutely see merit to owning several of the various shades and weaves Hober offers.
I would be interested in seeing those pics if you don't mind. I also thought that the "dark navy blue" would be a nice choice, but I don't love the prometeo as much as the grossa weave.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The “navy” grenadine is definitely very much lighter than what I think of as “navy.” But that said it is still a massively useful color to have.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it were me and I was only purchasing one navy tie I would get the dark navy promoteo or piccola. The step below is not navy enough to be “the” navy tie in a wardrobe and soft navy won’t be either.

I have grossa and promoteo ties and they are both large weaves. I’ve never wished the promoteo tie that I have was a grossa.

Truthfully, these days I prefer the tighter weaves and would go piccola in this instance.

Final advice, after you pick your navy tie, do consider a grenadine in slate blue. I get a ton of wear out of that color.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a roughly color accurate pic of the grosso navy, pls enjoy.

C82F5E4C-808D-4888-A551-5AFB2AE521E1.jpeg

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it were me and I was only purchasing one navy tie I would get the dark navy promoteo or piccola. The step below is not navy enough to be “the” navy tie in a wardrobe and soft navy won’t be either.

I have grossa and promoteo ties and they are both large weaves. I’ve never wished the promoteo tie that I have was a grossa.

Truthfully, these days I prefer the tighter weaves and would go piccola in this instance.

Final advice, after you pick your navy tie, do consider a grenadine in slate blue. I get a ton of wear out of that color.
Sound advice, and I will definitely add slate blue in the future, but want to start with the more navy's first. The piccola suggestion is a great one, but I want a larger weave with the navy as I'm already getting a piccola in a dark off white (thanks to @SJR3 for the suggestion) and also plan on getting a fina in dark chocolate at some point.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would be interested in seeing those pics if you don't mind. I also thought that the "dark navy blue" would be a nice choice, but I don't love the prometeo as much as the grossa weave.

Sure, I'll post pics later today/tomorrow.

Have you seen both a prometeo weave and a grossa next to each other? They look (and feel) extremely similar. I'd say that unless you are intently studying the intricacies of the different weaves up close, you really won't notice a practical difference. Piccola vs. fina are even more similar to each other to my eye--essentially they are the same thing, just from different (but both Italian) fabric mills.

Anyway, perhaps I am exaggerating the similarity, but it's the impression I got having owned all 4 grenadine weaves, but currently only own ties in 2 of the 4. What I'm getting at is don't consider grenadine ties in 4 distinct weaves; instead just think "large" or "small", then pick your color.

+1 to all of this. I have come to prefer the smaller weaves as well, though still have plenty of love for the larger weaves.

Last edited:

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, I'll post pics later today/tomorrow.

Have you seen both a prometeo weave and a grossa next to each other? They look (and feel) extremely similar. I'd say that unless you are intently studying the intricacies of the different weaves up close, you really won't notice a practical difference. Piccola vs. fina are even more similar to each other to my eye--essentially they are the same thing, just from different (but both Italian) fabric mills.

Anyway, perhaps I am exaggerating the similarity, but it's the impression I got having owned all 4 grenadine weaves, but currently only own ties in 2 of the 4. What I'm getting at is don't consider grenadine ties in 4 distinct weaves; instead just think "large" or "small", then pick your color.

+1 to all of this. I have come to prefer the smaller weaves as well, though still have plenty of love for the larger weaves.
Excellent advice! I had come to think of the different weaves as, well maybe 3 distinct different weaves (since I figured piccola and fina were almost identical), but the more I think about it, the more prometeo doesn't seem so different. I guess it just looked so different from the Grenadine page on Hober's website that I sort of skipped checking into those colors.

This actually makes my decision to go with strictly a "large vs. small" and color choice much, much easier! Thank you!

Last edited:

facet

Reaction score
So, just out of curiosity, then, is the prometeo just a slightly smaller/tighter version of the grossa? Tried to google it but nothing really useful came up in that regard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads