• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

bullrams

Reaction score
There are two possible cures for that.

:) - will go for the latter one

When I bought my Hober, I had about 60-80 ties. I think I've added another 40 or so since (despite wearing a tie as little as once or twice a month) and I'd still buy another Hober. Do it!

Aight - will do! Thanks for expressing the enthusiasm

Pull the trigger. Amazing ties. Bought two recently and bought another four more the day they arrived and I got a chance to inspect and try them on -- which was a significant outlay for me but well worth it.

Seems like a no-brainer, will do it - thanks for the feedback!

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would like to appoint myself the unofficial Sam Hober tie model (will work for ties). One of the awesome Irish Poplins pictured here.

SHT.jpg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hesitate to point this out on an affiliate thread but you can build up your collection easily if you visit thrift shops or get them on auction sides (I have some Drake, Hermes, Dormeuil, Talbott etc. this way - I would never pay retail for Drake's or Hermes). I also have a lot of ties because they're spread on 3 continents, and each location needs its own collection and is relatively adapted to the local weather and light conditions.

However, there is immense joy in getting exactly what you like built by a professional. Is there much difference? Sort of, but most of the enjoyment is knowing you had it made, the experience, etc. which you will remember every time you put it on. I even enjoy just glimpsing it on its rack, when I'm grabbing something else. The other thing is that the company does not waste gigantic amounts of money on marketing, which means what you pay for is literally his staff pulling some well chosen silk out of storage, measuring, cutting and folding it, sewing the whole thing together and sending it to you in a nice box with a nice note. Phenomenal value for money. To give you an idea, Komehyo in Tokyo (a refurbished, "in good condition only" luxury store) used to sell used Hermes ties for $30-40; now they're about $80 which is on par with a new Hober. Why would I buy the Hermes?

FWIW I think the midnight or navy grenadine look is getting too common, and I haven't worn a tie in that shade of any material for a year or two. If I were to get a grenadine today it would be in a dark green of sorts, perhaps Hober's forest green. My collection definitely doesn't have enough green. But David Hober has so many other options (e.g. the wool challis). I sometimes get lost on that site for half an hour just browsing the possibilities.

I just picked up the silk cashmere grenadine. Highly recommended & different from standard midnight navy grenadine. Thinking about one of those Thai silks 7 or 8 fold now.

My issue is I rarely wear ties & hate wearing them as a general rule.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re-tying is for losers.

I'm the biggest loser around. Even when I get it right the first time, I retie just for the pleasure of retying.

I don't particularly love your off-kilter belt buckle, but I applaud you for posting it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads