• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

LeMaitreChat

Reaction score
Here is what I would do (and what I did). Take any tie from home. Put it on and use preferable knot (FIH for me). Make sure you are satisfied with the length of the front blade. When you've got that right, just take a look in the mirror and decide what length you'd prefer for the back blade (0,5-1" shorter back blade than front blade for me). Mark it, unknot the tie and measure the length. Et voilà!

I'm 5'7" w a 16.25" neck and I wear 55." Our torso lengths and where we wear our trousers may not be identical, but I would not balk if you followed the instructions on the site. BTW I started w 3.5" wide and after several orders reduced to 3 3/8".

I'm 5'4" with a ~14.5" neck and I go 52". I could probably go a little longer if I wanted to, but this gives me a lot of flexibility in terms adjusting to meet different rise measurements. My suit pants, for example, sit quite a bit higher than my odd trousers from Howard Yount.

You already got a lot of good advice on this but I'm 5'4" with a 15" neck and I have 55" length. I can attest to using the method recommended on the site. It's really your best bet. Too many variables at play here. i.e. where you wear your trousers alone can easily take 2 inches on or off. Just measure twice using two different ties and you should get similar measurements. If so then you have your answer.
Thanks, all! I had measured two ties and got 53.5" and 53", so I went with 53".

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would like to order a black bow tie... would anyone be able to tell me the difference between Fermo Fossati and Bianchi silk?

I recently ordered one from David and asked him the same question. Here's his answer: "The difference between the two faille silks is so small that you would need swatches to see it." As a result, I asked David to choose whichever he preferred. I'm not sure which one he selected, but it looks terrific.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's Hober is the Macclesfield #118 (6-fold construction). Happy Monday everyone!

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Who will be the first to show-off one of the new grenadine stripes? http://www.samhober.com/new-grenadine-grossa-stripe-silk-ties/

Don't think I'll be getting any, but as with most SH ties, I'm sure these look a lot better IRL than on the website.

I'm very intrigued by the "something unusual" being planned for a couple months from now... any speculation as to what this is? :smarmy: My hope is for shantung/raw grenadine in classic colors and simple patterns and stripes...

Last edited:

MDeKelver

Reaction score
Who will be the first to show-off one of the new grenadine stripes? http://www.samhober.com/new-grenadine-grossa-stripe-silk-ties/

Don't think I'll be getting any, but as with most SH ties, I'm sure these look a lot better IRL than on the website.

I'm very intrigued by the "something unusual" being planned for a couple months from now... any speculation as to what this is?
mwink[1].gif
My hope is for shantung/raw grenadine in classic colors and simple patterns and stripes...
Nice stripes.

I had a Robert Talbott (always well made ties in mid-range) yellow, white, and sky blue striped grenadine which always rocked summer outfits. Something like this would be a cool grenadine to see.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm very intrigued by the "something unusual" being planned for a couple months from now... any speculation as to what this is? :smarmy: My hope is for shantung/raw grenadine in classic colors and simple patterns and stripes...

I might pick up this one at some point:

http://www.samhober.com/new-grenadi...and-white-stripe-on-red-grenadine-tie-17.html

I don't really love striped ties, but occasionally one speaks to me (and then ends up spending a lot of time hanging in my closet). I tend to prefer solids, pindots, neats and other subtle patterns.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wii be getting one of the dark red stripes. Not sure what David has in store with something unusual but I am anxious to find out...

Nice stripes.

Agreed. :nodding:

I might pick up this one at some point:

http://www.samhober.com/new-grenadi...and-white-stripe-on-red-grenadine-tie-17.html

I don't really love striped ties, but occasionally one speaks to me (and then ends up spending a lot of time hanging in my closet). I tend to prefer solids, pindots, neats and other subtle patterns.

I am somewhat the same way but I do like the red stripes. On my list. :D

LeviMay

Reaction score
I had been off the Hober train for too long, and sought to rectify that this morning.

I ordered the new Grenadine stripe in a 4-fold, with British Stripe Direction:

and Macclesfield print #100:

Now the wait.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had been off the Hober train for too long, and sought to rectify that this morning.

I ordered the new Grenadine stripe in a 4-fold, with British Stripe Direction:

and Macclesfield print #100:

Nice selections! I have the #100 and that stripe is calling to me. :nodding:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads