• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

4. Width would be 3.5 inches, that's regular correct? Dont want to have a too slim but also not a awkwardly wide looking tie. Maybe I should go with 3.6 inches.

Thanks for any input.

Someone came up with this for standard Suit size paired with tied width and lapel width on the dappered.com blog and I think it generally holds true for most people. Ultimately it comes down to individual taste and what looks good on you, but it's a good place to start if you are asking the question and haven't experimented enough to know yourself.

Suit size and then tie width and lapel width
34-36 - 2 to 2.5 - 2 to 2.5
38-40 - 2.5 to 3 - 2.5 to 3
40-42 - 3 to 3.5 - 3 to 3.5
44-46 - 3.5 - 3.75 - 3.5 to 3.75

I'm a 40R in suit size and my first Hober tie was 3.75 in width and I thought it was ultimately too big, I've settled on 3.25 to 3.5 as ideal.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone came up with this for standard Suit size paired with tied width and lapel width on the dappered.com blog and I think it generally holds true for most people. Ultimately it comes down to individual taste and what looks good on you, but it's a good place to start if you are asking the question and haven't experimented enough to know yourself.

Suit size and then tie width and lapel width

I'm a 40R in suit size and my first Hober tie was 3.75 in width and I thought it was ultimately too big, I've settled on 3.25 to 3.5 as ideal.
Interesting. I went the other way around. I started at 3,5" but have substituted almost all my ties to 3,75". And I wear 40R as well.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find 3 3/8" or 3 1/2" to be perfect for me

tdude

Reaction score

Thanks for the input guys.

I am quite tall and not the slimmest (190 lbs at 6'2/86kg at 188cm), so I think I am going with 3.5, 3.75 might be too wide and I can increase, if necessary, on my next order.
And I think I am going to go with one 4 fold and one 6 fold and then see which I prefer.
As to the fabric, I am going with one of each as well.

Any input on the wedding tie vs. grenadine discussion point?

Good call. In addition to everything that's been said, don't forget to develop a personal relationship with your wife/gf's Emory board.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ For real (or you could just cut them). Nothing kills grenadines like scraggly nails.

Don't really think this holds for everyone. While your suit/SC lapels and your tie width shouldn't be wildly out of proportion, you should really just wear whatever you feel comfortable in. IIRC Foo is a short dude and wears all kinds of massive lapels and non-skinny ties. This pic is one example.

TBH the way your face is shaped is really a bigger factor, or should be, in how wide your tie should be. This is especially true as there are a lot of different people who wear different sizes. For instance, I'm a 37R (and can take a 38R when a 37 isn't available). I'm fairly thin but not skinny, have a face and shoulders that are a bit on the narrow side, and like my jackets a touch cropped. My ideal tie width is 3.25", and I can wear 8cm or 3.5" when needed. By contrast, a friend of mine who wears the exact same size who is shorter and a bit bigger really actually looks good in ties that are either wider or really skinny -- the width either in proportion with his build and face, or so out of proportion as to be an obvious, deliberate choice. Another friend is a really skinny dude who wears a 36R at most (sometimes 35) and wears super classic 3.5" silk neat ties because that's just the look he favors, and it looks great.

The most important thing is that you maintain a sense of proportion in your dimensions, and that you carry yourself with confidence. And by "you" I mean everybody.

Last edited:

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't really think this holds for everyone. While your suit/SC lapels and your tie width shouldn't be wildly out of proportion, you should really just wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

I'm sure it doesn't hold for everyone, but it's a good place to start if someone is asking the question and doesn't have enough experience yet to come to their own conclusions.

Last edited:

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's Hober is a repeat and is the charcoal grey/silver grenadine grossa (6-fold construction).

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Spurious, re: the whole grenadine vs. wedding tie debate, it depends. I prefer a wedding tie or at least my silver/grey grenadine grossa for a wedding when I am wearing a navy suit. If I am wearing a grey suit, some wedding ties still work but I've also found that a light blue tie (with darker grey suits) or navy tie (with lighter grey suits) can look quite elegant with a white shirt. Of course you should be wearing a white shirt whatever you decide.

ovlov

Reaction score

Any input on the wedding tie vs. grenadine discussion point?

Tbh I was pretty surprised by Hober's wedding tie section. IMHO they are some of the ugliest ties I've seen. Furthermore he stocks pretty much all of the 'traditional' wedding patterns favored on SF (PoW, houndstooth, shepherds check, etc) yet none of them are included in the wedding category and you have to go searching for them. If you want a proper wedding tie try looking for some of the traditional designs.
that said i ended up getting blue grenadine variations for my groomsmen and they worked out great. I ended up going elsewhere for my own pow tie but only because David didn't have the one I was chasing in stock at the time.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are many factors that play into one's choice of width, and it ultimately comes down to personal style; however, any width from 3-3/8 to 3-3/4 has stood, and will stand, the test of time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads