• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy pin dot (Macclesfield print) in action. Shirt is a bit more textured (end on end) and color is more muted IRL than it appears in the picture.

tdude

Reaction score
Good luck on the tie Tweedy. I'm sure you'll love it.

Love that one PP. Don't remember it being repeated. That's what happens when you own 872 Hober ties I guess.

Today is one of the new ones.

yba4uzag.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks tdude....On the knot shape, I'm going to put it in David's hands after having sent him a picture of my ideal knot...sure it will turn out well.

Alas, in the end, I got tripped up on:

1. Bitter chocolate not available right now in the grossa and David is not sure when it will be restocked. It is available in Prometeo, but I have to say that on close up, the Prometeo seems more honeycomb in appearance though David tells me they look very similar...Everyone has a grossa, but David suggests this is mainly because prometeo was stocked later than grossa. Prometeo anyone?

2. Was then ready to pull the trigger on Midnight in the Grossa, but realized that it might be too "black". Basically I want a dark blue tie that could be worn with a standard navy blazer (i.e. darker blue than navy), but something that at a near distance looks blue (not black)....

Which means...I'm ordering swatches and not getting the first tie right now
shog[1].gif

David was great: my overly detailed emails (like this post) were responded with great attention and patience.

kdv10

Reaction score
Got my first ties (2 starter Grenadine Grossa's) from SH yesterday and was blown away by the sheer beauty and quality of these magnificent ties. Sadly, it looks like I will slowly be replacing my small collection of ties for SH. David is a true gentleman and is prompt with answering any questions you may have. Before, posting any pictures though, I need to brush up on my knot making skills!

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love that one PP. Don't remember it being repeated. That's what happens when you own 872 Hober ties I guess.

Today is one of the new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice tdude. :nodding: oh, and I don't own 872 Hober ties...yet. :embar::lol:

1. Bitter chocolate not available right now in the grossa and David is not sure when it will be restocked. It is available in Prometeo, but I have to say that on close up, the Prometeo seems more honeycomb in appearance though David tells me they look very similar...Everyone has a grossa, but David suggests this is mainly because prometeo was stocked later than grossa. Prometeo anyone?

2. Was then ready to pull the trigger on Midnight in the Grossa, but realized that it might be too "black". Basically I want a dark blue tie that could be worn with a standard navy blazer (i.e. darker blue than navy), but something that at a near distance looks blue (not black)....

Which means...I'm ordering swatches and not getting the first tie right now.

Starting with swatches is a very good way to go, time and $ well spent.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score

David was great: my overly detailed emails (like this post) were responded with great attention and patience.

David is a true gentleman and is prompt with answering any questions you may have.

These are the hallmarks of the way David conducts business. He treats everyone of us as though we are the only person who ever bought ties from him. Thanks David.

tdude

Reaction score
Thanks tdude....On the knot shape, I'm going to put it in David's hands after having sent him a picture of my ideal knot...sure it will turn out well.

Alas, in the end, I got tripped up on:

Which means...I'm ordering swatches and not getting the first tie right now
shog%5B1%5D.gif

Good luck on the tie hunt. Post pics when you get it.

BTW, when I hear your name in my head, I always think of

Last edited:

pazzion

Reaction score
I know that I wondered about the different sizes of the grenadine weaves, and even though I ordered swatches I had trouble visualising the different weaves as ties. I have taken comparative pictures of the different weaves (though they're in different colors) and thought that I could share them here in case someone find them useful.

The ties are:

1. Dark chocolate fina,
2. Navy piccola,
3. Dark navy grossa (in the picture with the dark navy and black ties),
4. Midnight blue grossa,
5. Black prometeo.

Dark chocolate fina and navy piccola.

Navy piccola and midnight blue with off-white stripes grossa.

Midnight blue with off-white stripes grossa and black prometeo.

Dark navy grossa and black prometeo.

Dark chocolate piccola, navy fina, midnight blue grossa and black prometeo. This picture also (at least on my screen) shows the navy fina and midnight blue grossa colors really well. The dark chocolate is a bit browner IRL, even though it seems a bit reddish in the pictures.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pazzion
That's really helpful! I'm toying with untipped but have been unsure of the transparency at the tip of the blade. With the large weave it is fairly noticeable?

The midnight seems to me obviously blue in these pics. Is that true for those who have just midnight grossa/prometeo without stripes? I just want it distinguishable from black by casual observer.

Thanks for that!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads