• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.. and the four weaves together, from left promoteo, grossa, piccolo, fina.

Thanks for this. Problem now is I want the same color ties in different grenadine weaves. Decisions decisions....

Stitches and Kueller....thanks to you guys I'm definitely going 4 fold untipped, rolled edges. Your ties look great.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks! you will not regret it.:)

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking to get a couple of grenadines.. couple of questions:

1. Lined vs. Unlined? Is there any advantage to either?

2. Tipped vs. Untipped? Is it noticeable while being worn that the tie is untipped (i.e. can you see through it)? This isn't a dealbreaker, just want to be well-informed

3. Does David charge extra for hand-rolled edges? What about bar tack color?

4. Navy vs. slate? I can't decide! (And no, the proper answer is not both. heh.) I'm leaning toward slate but the navy is a strong contendor.

Rich0116

Reaction score

2. Tipped vs. Untipped? Is it noticeable while being worn that the tie is untipped (i.e. can you see through it)? This isn't a dealbreaker, just want to be well-informed
4. Navy vs. slate? I can't decide! (And no, the proper answer is not both. heh.) I'm leaning toward slate but the navy is a strong contendor.

1. I'd go with lined. Unlined ties are great, but I prefer lined; they recover faster, in my experience. Just ask for a light lining if you prefer a lighter tie.

2. Untipped you can usually see through, especially if it's a grossa weave. But it's not noticeable unless someone is looking straight at it.

3. Hand-rolled edges with an untipped tie is a $10 surcharge. No clue about bar tacks.

4. Navy. Always navy. It works with everything and is never not stylish.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

if you do lined, you have to go 7 fold, and even then, with a grenadine it will be pretty much see through. id recommend lined.

personal preference. i think the untipped is neat, especially on a grenadine, but it is pretty see through, so be prepared.

as said above, 10 bucks, well worth it, his hand finishings are superb

tough call. ill leave that to you.

good luck, and know, whatever you get, if its a hober, you are doing a ok.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have three four-fold lined, self-tipped grenadines from Hober- Dark Navy, Dark Red, and Dark Purple. Yes, I prefer the darker shades for solid ties. The purple is fina, the other two grossa. More planned.

Four folds are sufficiently thick. If you do anything more complicated than a four-in-hand knot unlined would be the way to go, but with four-in-hand lined is both sufficiently thick and doesn't make a clown knot. Lined six-fold with a full windsor would be silly.

I like some weight and drape to my ties. That's why four-fold, lined, and tipped works for me. If you prefer a lighter tie, then unlined may be the way to go for you.

Last edited:

strangedream

Reaction score

Quote:
I have pretty much the above & then the same in dark brown.
After this, then start with rep stripes & paisleys..
I found this advice from Mr. Wong of Most Exrent Brog awhile ago, and wondered what would be Sam Hober equivalent of four ties above. I assume either the 1st or 3rd tie from the left is Navy Grenadine Fina Silk Tie #11, and the 4th one to be White Dots on Dark Navy Pin-Dot Silk Tie #1.

In addition, I am also curious about the structure of each tie, like whether it is 4-fold/lined/tipped/hand-rolled/etc.

Last edited:

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Tie on far left is a herringbone weave not a grenadine. Number two looks like an Oxford but could be a twill. Three is a grenadine, fina or piccola. Four is actually a neat, not a pindot. Incidentally, that woven pindot is the only Hober tie I have that I don't love. The blue is lifeless. Get the Macclesfield printed dot instead.

Renton

Reaction score
I've been slowly rebooting my tie collection with Hobers and I'm not sure what I should order next.

This is what I've ordered so far.

-red grenadine fina
-forest green grenadine Grossa
-royal blue diamond weave
-burgundy cashmere
-navy grenadine fina
-bottle green on midnight blue pindot grenadine
-bitter chocolate grenadine fina
-dark purple grenadine fina
-purple English pin dot
-off white in blue stripe grenadine

I was thinking either some wool challis or a madder for the fall & winter, any suggestions?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would say to get some madder, neats. he has some amazing ones.

Lyam

Reaction score
Hey, guys. I went through the entire thread and not a single image of a garza grossa pindot was to be found! You'll be delighted to know, then, that I have ordered one. Same with the bow ties. Not a single image. I've ordered one of those in midnight blue fina. Really excited for the bow tie, it'll be tricky to make, but should look great. I'll upload a few pics when I get them.

sftiger

Reaction score

Hey, guys. I went through the entire thread and not a single image of a garza grossa pindot was to be found! You'll be delighted to know, then, that I have ordered one. Same with the bow ties. Not a single image. I've ordered one of those in midnight blue fina. Really excited for the bow tie, it'll be tricky to make, but should look great. I'll upload a few pics when I get them. 

Please post lots! I'm thinking about ordering one myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads