• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That Dark Navy is high on my want list. :drool:

get it before they run out!!!!

Just got my dark navy grenadine, 6 fold, untipped, hand rolled edges. Pics soon!

dude, aside from the fact i went 4 fold that is the same as mine. what weave of grenadine did you pick?

cant wait to see pics of your finished item.

Last edited:

UglyJoe

Reaction score
Fina. It's frickin' sweet.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks david. i never thought about that, but its good information to have.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question on tie length. I wear a size 39 short jacket and like my tie to hit my belt buckle and perhaps a half inch below. What is the recommended tie length?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

David,

Any word on when you'll be restocking the cashmere black warp?

Best,
Ricini

same question for the glen plaid in the smaller scale.

thanks.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A question on tie length. I wear a size 39 short jacket and like my tie to hit my belt buckle and perhaps a half inch below. What is the recommended tie length?

David has a very good tutorial on estimating length for your first order on his website.

If I recall, the best way is to take your best fitting tie in the knot you favor, and put it on. Measure that tie. Subtract or add any length from that length as needed to have it reach the goal length. David suggests having two inches difference between the rear blade and front blade when tied.

After you get your first order you can adjust accordingly.

As an FYI- I also wear a 39-40s jacket. I have a 16.25" neck and get my tie at 55".

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
David has a very good tutorial on estimating length for your first order on his website.
If I recall, the best way is to take your best fitting tie in the knot you favor, and put it on. Measure that tie. Subtract or add any length from that length as needed to have it reach the goal length. David suggests having two inches difference between the rear blade and front blade when tied.
After you get your first order you can adjust accordingly.
As an FYI- I also wear a 39-40s jacket. I have a 16.25" neck and get my tie at 55".

This.

Last edited:

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ricini,

I will be posting on the front page of our site silk updates and for other silk questions please email me - thank you.

TaxGenius,

ScurvyFreedman Has answered your question well.

A few thoughts - it is important to actually measure, as some gentlemen have long or short upper torsos which can really change the measurements.

Also the big end of your tie should be where you like it not where it makes a nice knot.

Generally a half-Windsor needs an extra 2 inches in length compared to a four-in-hand knot.

Grenadines can stretch over time, especially the longer lengths.

The 2 inches difference between the long and small ends are a classic style point - however, some gentlemen prefer the small and big ends to be even. In that case getting the correct length is even more important.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
postman! please hurry up. :fu:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance