• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Rare Opportunity - Experts Available in Person

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did you say 'what about voiles or broadcloth or 2x2 200s'? So much for my misimpression that he was coming to see me.
sarcasm.gif
Why would I want dreck like that? You can't make decent shoes out of that stuff.
wink.gif
I know what your prices are, Alex. In any event, I can't afford the 2x2 200s.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't recieved the cordovan and/or u-last boot prices from Gabor yet, I'll post them as soon as I can.

One other note - if you are a US size 13 medium, you will likely need a sz 47 on the U-last and there is a surcharge (15% or so, I'll have to get the exact number) for that particular style/last. They had to make it special at my request (they consider it to be a size 14 though it fits a US 13) and they charge accordingly.

mrprlover

Reaction score
This event sounds pretty intimidating, especially to the recent graduate entering the working class.

I don't suppose members could swing by just to 'watch'? There are always those willing to learn, though the Platinum and pen are still to be had.

e

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This event sounds pretty intimidating,
Intimidating? Well, Kabbaz's bark might be a bit severe, but he has no bite -- he's so old that his teeth have worn down to nothing.

As for the rest, I know that Chuck, Gabor, and Andy are the very souls of pleasantness; and I can't imagine that Darren is any different.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK Guys, time's up. R.S.V.P. by 8pm tonight (Thursday) ... or wait for the next Collection of Sartorial Excellence. Last chance ... 866-267-7909.

Jill

Reaction score
This event sounds pretty intimidating, especially to the recent graduate  entering the working class. I don't suppose members could swing by just to 'watch'?  There are always those willing to learn, though the Platinum and pen are still to be had. e
Please DO come by to visit. Â By RSVP-ing, you're not setting up an appointment for a fitting, or committing to make a purchase worthy of a second mortgage. Â We just need to know how much wine to buy. So, yes, you are most definitely welcome. Â And it will not at all be intimidating ~ at least I won't be. Â If Alex is mean to you, just come see me and I'll take care of him.. Â
wink.gif

redtree00

Reaction score
There is no intimidation factor whatsoever. I was at the event last night, you will not find a more knowledgeable and friendly group of people and that includes the forum members as well as the esteemed experts.
The event took place in 3 rooms of a large suite in the Regency, I'll start from the last room working my way forward.

Alex reminds me of a university professor I had many years ago, extremely knowledgeable with a very sharp wit. He is a very interesting character, hard to miss with his chalk stripe suit and spectators. His shirts are nothing short of spectacular, the super silky fabrics are decadent. While I was there Alex showed a few of us how he cuts shirt collars, explaining the reason behind every step. Alex also has a nice selection of high quality socks, undergarments, several pocket squares and a few reptile skins.

Next room was setup with a few of Darren's items with fabric swatches all over the place. At first I was not blown away by any of it until Darren asked me to try on the jacket he was wearing, now I am at least 2 sizes larger but the cut and fit came as a real shock to me. It was a 1 button jacket, I have never liked the look of a 1 button until last night. I liked it so much I was walking around with it for several minutes not wanting to take it off, I asked Darren if he wanted to trade, my suit pants and jacket for his jacket, oddly enough he politely declined. He never once commented on the fit of my suit until I asked him why certain details fit so well on his jacket as opposed to mine, he patiently proceeded to show me in front of a mirror how and why things were fitting the way they were. This is the 1st time I have not been told by the tailor/salesman how their suit will fit me better than the ill-fitting suit I have on. He is guy that I can't imagine anyone not seeing immediately that he loves his work.

The 1st room was shared by Gabor and Chuck/Jill.
Everything you have ever seen online or read about Vass shoes is not even close to what you will see in person. The Budapest model is striking, looks nothing like the pictures we have all seen. Truly a shoe lovers dream comes true. Gabor is reserved, polite and extremely helpful. He is a true European gentleman.

Last but not least we come to Mr. Franke and the lovely Jill. Chuck has a passion for his products that is something that needs to be witnessed in person. The texture and hand that Chuck keeps on ranting about is truly what makes his ties special. The way the lights play on the surface of the ties is like nothing you see elsewhere. It was obvious to all that a lot of passion and hard work goes towards the creation of his wares. Chuck is a great guy that can and will spend hours answering all and any question you ask (If the silk worms are from China then isn't the tie technically made in China?...... sorry Chuck I was put up to that.) and Jill is a classy and beautiful woman who knows how to design a tie like it is nobody's business.

I left knowing a lot more about fine clothing and enjoyed spending a few hours with a group of people that you can't help but admire.

There was no pressure at all to purchase anything; I don't think I heard anything close to a sales pitch all evening.

I ended up purchasing 4 ties from Chuck/Jill (3 paisleys and the new bottle green), and more then likely will be purchasing socks from Alex and shoes from Gabor (size 14 requires some investigation work on their part), Mr. Beaman will be commissioned once I decide what I want (too many damn choices and Darren preferred not take an order because the lighting was not up to his high standards).
I know that I will be purchasing many things from each and every one of them in the future, the combination of outstanding products and great customer service is a formula that can't be beaten.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I echo all of redtree's sentiments. A truly nice bunch of folk who seemed to have found something that they truly enjoy doing. I would also add that Andy of Ask Andy fame was there and he is also a terrific gentleman. I too came away with an amazing tie and a new found appreciation for hideously expensive underwear.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posted from AA:
Thanks to Andy, Mr. Kabbaz, Chuck, Darren, Gabor, and Co. Darren and Alex both gave a few great instructive tidbits, while Gabor had the best selection of Vass I've seen anywhere in the United States (I'm still thinking that I've should of purchased the antique chestnut wholecut with the floating medallion). Jill and Gabor's wife (sorry didn't catch her name) were both wonderful--you guys are both lucky to have met such wonderful people that support/participate/run
smile.gif
your business ventures. I've also come to the conclusion that flash photography does little justice to fine silk. Cheers and best wishes on Saturday, NCT
I wish I could have met more forum members. Redtree folds a debonair pocket square, and I think the younger-Kabbaz was actually wearing a better shirt than dad. Kudos to the contrast stiching around the buttonholes. And, much to my dismay, I saw WAY TOO MANY pairs of black shoes yesterday. Why wear black, when Gabor offers such wonderful browns? (Even Chuck was salivating) I came home with the Vass book, which is a big mistake, since I need to be reading for class instead of staring at pictures of the tanning process. The diagram of the hide and different parts of the shoe is hilarious. I'll have to scan that one and email it to my Vegan friend. End of rambling...

redtree00

Reaction score
I totally forgot about Andy from Ask Andy, I spent a few minutes chatting with him while we were both looking over Alex Kabbaz's presentation of wares, very nice gentleman, I don't frequent that forum often so I dont know much about him.

Norcal are you the dapper young man with the U-Throat Martegani's ? I didn't manage to get the screen names of the people I met.

Were you there when Chuck tried on a few pairs of Vass ?
He looked really sharp in a Cognac U-Last wingtip.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
It was indeed a wonderful event, and my thanks to all the organizers for putting together this unique show. It was obvious that a lot of hard work went into hosting the 'Collective', and they are all very nice people to boot. That being said, my only question is, when's the next one??
devil.gif
My regards to all the members (and non-members) I happened to run into on Saturday afternoon--it was a pleasure meeting all of you. Some pics I took can be found using the link below: http://img174.exs.cx/gal.php?g=P1020206.jpg&cols=6

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was indeed a wonderful event, and my thanks to all the organizers for putting together this unique show. It was obvious that a lot of hard work went into hosting the 'Collective', and they are all very nice people to boot. That being said, my only question is, when's the next one??
devil.gif
My regards to all the members (and non-members) I happened to run into on Saturday afternoon--it was a pleasure meeting all of you. Some pics I took can be found using the link below: http://img174.exs.cx/gal.php?g=P1020206.jpg&cols=6
Drool. (by drool I mean the window views of Park Ave
wink.gif
) Jon.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
redtree, I was the Asian guy in the casual blazer and rust/burgundy colored V-neck sweater. Actually, I had your ID confused with another...I think there was a cherrytree who periodically posted awhile back and shared his experiences regarding a few of the Saville Row firms. Geez Chuck, I feel bad, we never took that picture of your tie display. I bet it even looked better under natural lighting. Same goes for Darren's fabric swatches. Cheers, NCT

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, sounds like a great time. I especially like the idea of old Alex cutting collars and Darren patiently explaining various details of fit (or ill-fit) on your suit. I'd love to take one of my Press suits to him. What a wonderful opportunity for education.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads