• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Love Affair: Ralph Lauren

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Here's my first Ralph Lauren item, a green polo, purchased exactly 9 years ago. I've used it maybe once every two or three weeks, every year. Its condition is still great except for a small hole under one of the sleeve cuffs*. I love this polo. Fit is simply excellent, very slim (yet long), despite not being "Custom Fit".

* Is it still called cuff when the sleeve is short?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought another Blue Label suit. I've got the fever
bounce2.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
Here's my first Ralph Lauren item, a green polo, purchased exactly 9 years ago. I've used it maybe once every two or three weeks, every year. Its condition is still great except for a small hole under one of the sleeve cuffs*. I love this polo. Fit is simply excellent, very slim (yet long), despite not being "Custom Fit".

* Is it still called cuff when the sleeve is short?

come on, that's not really exceptional. I certainly have clothes from 2000 or before which were worn often and still look fine.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
come on, that's not really exceptional. I certainly have clothes from 2000 or before which were worn often and still look fine.

Maybe not completely exceptional, but it's one of my first good quality experiences, and therefore meaningful. During that time I was 17 or so, which was in the very beginning of my adventure towards qualitative clothes.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know if anyone can decipher the style codes for the blue label suits, i.e. 7Bxxxx, 7Jxxxx, X xxxx. Some of them fit me great and others are too tight in the pants. I'd like to know if something's gonna fit from looking at the tag pic.

Paging I.Gentantithesis?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered not to purchase flat front pants? RL is known for making skin tight pants so I just go for pleated pants when I purchase RL suits. Also,you should try Purple Label suits,plenty of great deals for 44-46.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL makes a lot of nice stuff, but I don't like how the little Polo guy is all over the place. These days I prefer not to show visible branding.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
RL makes a lot of nice stuff, but I don't like how the little Polo guy is all over the place. These days I prefer not to show visible branding.

I agree with that. I wish the label was more discreet... That's why I only buy PRL cashmere cable sweaters; they have no labels on them. I have three and I need another one in pink!!

By the way, since you are all experts... What's the deal with ebay? Does anyone buy PRL stuff from there? I hear there are a lot of fakes...

CrimProf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I agree with that. I wish the label was more discreet... That's why I only buy PRL cashmere cable sweaters; they have no labels on them. I have three and I need another one in pink!!

By the way, since you are all experts... What's the deal with ebay? Does anyone buy PRL stuff from there? I hear there are a lot of fakes...

I've bought from there. TheLuxStore is legit and specializes in the RL brand, but I haven't dealt with any other ebay merchants who carry PRL. Otherwise, I prefer the B&S forum!

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just kopped a suit from theluxstore. Prices are high but he replied to my questions and even lowered a price for me.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I'd like to know if anyone can decipher the style codes for the blue label suits, i.e. 7Bxxxx, 7Jxxxx, X xxxx. Some of them fit me great and others are too tight in the pants. I'd like to know if something's gonna fit from looking at the tag pic.

Paging I.Gentantithesis?

Are you familiar with which style (Polo I, II, III, or IV) fits you correctly? I would imagine the pants would be cut the same for each style, and these styles are displayed very prominently on the tags in the store.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just kopped a suit from theluxstore. Prices are high but he replied to my questions and even lowered a price for me.

I'd prefer to take my chances and buy for a much lower price. When the item arrives, it is usually possible to tell if it is a fake or not... Some auctions don't go up a lot and you end up with a cashmere sweater for 30 bucks. Good deal, worth the risk, imo.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrimProf
I've bought from there. TheLuxStore is legit and specializes in the RL brand, but I haven't dealt with any other ebay merchants who carry PRL. Otherwise, I prefer the B&S forum!

I like TheLuxStore too, got 5 of my Ralph Lauren items on my list from there.

Which suit did you get, bigbris? And you really got a lower price? I've always wondered what marginals the seller has... I mean, e.g. a $425 cashmere cable sweater for just $128...

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a gray glen plaid with a purple overcheck. A couple showed up on the B&S forum here but none in my size. They were going for $350 on here. $650 on eBay. I simply asked if he was accepting offers and he created a new listing for me with the lowered price and instant cashback.
IMG_408040.jpg

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
Are you familiar with which style (Polo I, II, III, or IV) fits you correctly? I would imagine the pants would be cut the same for each style, and these styles are displayed very prominently on the tags in the store.

The problem with this is not all of them say "Polo I, II, III or IV". One of mine says "Blue Label". I know the Bradford fits good on the jacket, but the pants are tighter than Incotex.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads