• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A friendly protest to the tone of this forum. Aren't people being too judgmental and too little posi

Juan

Reaction score
yes I know I'm a newbie

It's just that I've been reading several threads (This, for instance and many others) and I'm appalled at the harsh criticism directed towards anyone with the slightest flaw.

This tie is ugly
Those shoes are crap
That looks like hell

and the like...

Sharp arguments devised to bash somebody's preference of taste
Style knowledge directed, not to personal enjoyment, but to the sick pleasure of looking down on others

I don't see the point of all this finger-wagging

Wouldn't it be nicer if we were more positive and constructive?
Isn't it better to educate through suggestion and example rather than humiliation and reprimand?

Instead of saying "those shoes are crap", say "wouldn't you prefer, for just a couple of hundred €, these very much nicer ones?"

Instead of censure "the tie is ugly", wouldn't it be nicer to suggest "a solid-colour tie would match your suit much better."?

Instead of attacking with a "that looks like hell", why don't offer a better alternative?

And finally, why don't respect that not everybody can spend thousands of € in clothes and acknowledge a compromise between style and budget?

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yes I know I'm a newbie

It's just that I've been reading several threads (This, for instance and many others) and I'm appalled at the harsh criticism directed towards anyone with the slightest flaw.

This tie is ugly
Those shoes are crap
That looks like hell
and the like...

Sharp arguments devised to bash somebody's preference of taste
Style knowledge directed, not to personal enjoyment, but to the sick pleasure of looking down on others

I don't see the point of all this finger-wagging

Wouldn't it be nicer if we were more positive and constructive?
Isn't it better to educate through suggestion and example rather than humiliation and reprimand?

Instead of saying "those shoes are crap", say "wouldn't you prefer, for just a couple of hundred €, these very much nicer ones?"

Instead of censure "the tie is ugly", wouldn't it be nicer to suggest "a solid-colour tie would match your suit much better."?

Instead of attacking with a "that looks like hell", why don't offer a better alternative?

And finally, why don't respect that not everybody can spend thousands of € in clothes and acknowledge a compromise between style and budget?

This post sucks. Your usage of paragraphs is terrible and ugly. You should stop posting and lurk more.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1187112388029.jpg

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This post sucks. Your usage of paragraphs is terrible and ugly. You should stop posting and lurk more.

Instead of the censure "this post sucks", wouldn't it be nicer to suggest "you should re-write your post with paragraphs"?

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think most people are looking down at others; you can be bluntly honest and harsh without looking down at people. I try to be nice, but it gets a bit frustrating when we get similar garbage posted by people who don't seem to know how to use the search function or seem to want to have their bad choices validated. A lot of the things that draw these harsh responses are in fact pretty awful. I don't think you do a person any favors by watering down the truth and I certainly hope the average newbie here is not so insecure that they consider harsh words from a stranger online to be a form of humiliation. As far as budget is concerned, there are numerous threads relating to building wardrobes on a budget and a lot of information on the trade-offs one makes by buying cheaper items.

It's ironic that you cite the good taste thread as your example of harsh critique when that thread was created to provide direct critiques of whether something is in good taste and the first post explains this pretty clearly / advises beginners and others to think carefully about posting.

Juan

Reaction score
I don't think most people are looking down at others; you can be bluntly honest and harsh without looking down at people. I try to be nice, but it gets a bit frustrating when we get similar garbage posted by people who don't seem to know how to use the search function or seem to want to have their bad choices validated. A lot of the things that draw these harsh responses are in fact pretty awful. I don't think you do a person any favors by watering down the truth and I certainly hope the average newbie here is not so insecure that they consider harsh words from a stranger online to be a form of humiliation. As far as budget is concerned, there are numerous threads relating to building wardrobes on a budget and a lot of information on the trade-offs one makes by buying cheaper items.

It's ironic that you cite the good taste thread as your example of harsh critique when that thread was created to provide direct critiques of whether something is in good taste and the first post explains this pretty clearly / advises beginners and others to think carefully about posting.

yeah, on second thoughts I'm a bit of a cry-baby

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, you are a wuss.
This is a voluntary site of like minded individuals.

If you dress like ****, then you are going to be called out.

Too many newbies starting new threads all asking the same question.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go back far enough, the replies were more along the line of "for X amount more you could have gotten better" or "i would have gone with a softer shoulder" But i guess people are just sick of some guy coming on the forum asking for a critique, and then when he gets one like the aforementioned one he gets angry that a slightest detail is off and we obviously dont know what we are talking about and his kenneth cole shoes are hand made in heaven by archangels, and that there is no way his 20 dollar "bespoke" suit from thailand looks bad because it was made for him and just because a tape measure was used it automatically means its superior to everything else in the world etc. So i guess people have realized that posting "its crap" instead of constructive criticism that posters dont want to hear in the first place is much easier and more entertaining.

dorian

Reaction score
Crap, all crap. Even before the site reboot in 2004ish, ,all crap. I so rarely post anymore because I prefer PMing and emailing myself for objective critique on all things sartorial. OP may wish to try my pioneering method of ego massage rather than exposing himself to the rigors of public comment... :hide:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As soon as I saw the thread title I was prepared to say "welcome to the internet" but decided to keep an open mind and read the entire post, which I did.

So, welcome to the internet.

But in all seriousness ... too many people want to be spoon fed too many answers that are super easy to find using the search function here or doing a basic google search and reading a few forums.

My post count is like 1/10th of some of the people here and my patience is already worn out from them. I ignore the stupid questions and posts but as you can see, some others choose a more creative and entertaining option lol

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Telling someone that a pair of shoes is ugly is not hurtful. Telling someone that he is ugly is hurtful. There's a difference.

Also, merely telling someone that a different choice would be better could give the false impression that their first choice was acceptable when it fact it might have been ugly. Stating that it is in fact ugly avoids this confusion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads