• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

80s Giorgio Armani style suit advice

angoivy

Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a 80s GA suit or a brand that has a similar style but need help finding brands that sit in that niche

Reference measurements
Chest 36/38
Trousers 30x30

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know what about that era you’re looking for, but that cut will seem quite dated today with its extreme padded shoulders and low gorge. Often you see those suits on older gents at events that still require men to suit up (like weddings) and you think “ok that guy hasn’t bought any grownup clothes in 40 years.” Granted, most people these days wouldn’t know the difference.

No judgment implied—to each his own—but it’s definitely a look with a time stamp. Maybe that’s the whole idea?

angoivy

Reaction score
I don’t know what about that era you’re looking for, but that cut will seem quite dated today with its extreme padded shoulders and low gorge. Often you see those suits on older gents at events that still require men to suit up (like weddings) and you think “ok that guy hasn’t bought any grownup clothes in 40 years.” Granted, most people these days wouldn’t know the difference.

No judgment implied—to each his own—but it’s definitely a look with a time stamp. Maybe that’s the whole idea?

I’m sure the whole point of the look was unstructured and unpadded, loose and full of drape, from everything I see that’s actually early 80s GA It’s beautiful stuff, 40 plus men are wedding events are wears bad suits worn badly! I think the look is still quite contemporary, with the modern suit being quite slim through nearly all different countries different “style of suiting” the only thing I can see that isn’t is old French house’s like kiton or arny’s but even 2nd hand they are way out of my price range.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m sure the whole point of the look was unstructured and unpadded, loose and full of drape, from everything I see that’s actually early 80s GA It’s beautiful stuff, 40 plus men are wedding events are wears bad suits worn badly! I think the look is still quite contemporary, with the modern suit being quite slim through nearly all different countries different “style of suiting” the only thing I can see that isn’t is old French house’s like kiton or arny’s but even 2nd hand they are way out of my price range.
1980s Armani was the exact opposite of unstructured and unpadded. You’re thinking of 1990s Armani when he shifted radically, after the crash of 1987 made Wall Street power suits out of fashion.

angoivy

Reaction score
1980s Armani was the exact opposite of unstructured and unpadded. You’re thinking of 1990s Armani when he shifted radically, after the crash of 1987 made Wall Street power suits out of fashion.
Most of the images from images of man are from the mid 80s period, the book was only published in 1990, I think there was a lot to catalogue between 1976-90 from 87-90 I don’t think the book would of been as impactful, I’m not doubting there was bad Armani suits but it seems to come from the diffusion lines. But that’s all going of topic, I’ll change what I’m after then 90s Armani

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads