• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$70 - $90 Dress Shirts

Gancini

Reaction score
All,

Would appreciate your thoughts on a good mid-level dress shirt. I'm familiar with CT and BB, but am looking for brands that are perhaps a slight step up from CT/BB, but not at the level of T&A, Charvet, Brioni, etc. in terms of price and prestige.

I tend to go for non-iron, slim fit types of shirts (yes, I know, but I don't have the time to iron and all that; I just want to take it out of the dryer and have it be ready to wear). For collars, I guess I wold say I like those that look like CT "classic" collars or Thomas Pink semi-cutaway collars.

Any thoughts?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nordstrom brand dress shirts. For that price point and maybe a little more you can have MyTailor make you some shirts.

Gancini

Reaction score
Interesting - never had a Nordstrom dress shirt (though I have a couple of their ties and see them as good quality/value). Would you say those shirts are better quality than CT/BB for the price? Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not better, just an alternative. BB are nice but with the exception of the button down, their collar points are not long enough.

It seems like a lot or at least enough people like Charles Tyrwhitt shirts. Those should be in your price range.

At this price range quality will be about the same regardless where you go.

Last edited:

Shpirt

Reaction score
http://www.hawesandcurtis.co.uk/

Just ordered 3 shirts form them - VERY nice.

Charles Tyrwhitt - always a good solid stand-by shirt.

If you are looking at a 90.00 top end rang e- you can check out some custom shirts from Luxire or ITaylor.

Give HC a try - I was really pleasantly surprised with them.

Shpirt

Reaction score
Kamakura?
Boooring... :( light blue/white.

You are going to have to tell us more about what you are looking for in a shirt. For example:

- Do you wear barrel cuff or French cuff?
- Do you wear these for work - do you have to/do you wear a tie with them?
- Do you wear them with a suit most of the time?
- Do you already have your primary colors (blue/white/pink) in the collection?
- Do you have any preferences in shirts (like Winchester cuffs/collar or English spread/cut away collar, etc.)

That way I can tell you based on your needs where I think you should be looking for...

SS 376

Reaction score
Off the top of my head: perhaps Paul Stuart, Robert Graham, Hugh & Crye? You might be able to find YSL or Canali at the very high end of that range.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Boooring... :(  light blue/white. 

What's wrong with Kama @Shpirt

They actually have a very wide range of fabrics... not just blue and white as you say

They blow just about every brand mentioned here so far out of the water... Charles Tyrwitt, Nordstrom, etc

Best of all, they're only $79

Last edited:

Shpirt

Reaction score
You know what - you
What's wrong with Kama @Shpirt

They actually have a very wide range of fabrics... not just blue and white as you say

They blow just about every brand mentioned here so far out of the water... Charles Tyrwitt, Nordstrom, etc

Best of all, they're only $79

Nothing wrong with them - I guess I sort of misstated.. I am just not a fan - they are a bit boring for my taste - make few French cuff options (which for a dress shirt are an absolute must in my opinion) and are not what I generally like. But there is nothing wrong with them.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you wear your french cuff dress shirts exclusively with "city" suits and tuxedos?

That's the only time I'd ever wear a french cuff shirt.

Wearing a french cuff shirt with a sportcoat or with odd trousers is just wrong to me... way to formal

Last edited:

Shpirt

Reaction score

Do you wear your french cuff dress shirts exclusively with "city" suits and tuxedos?

That's the only time I'd ever wear a french cuff shirt.

Wearing a french cuff shirt with a sportcoat or with odd trousers is just wrong to me... way to formal

I wear suits for work every day - so I wear French cuff shirts with those. I would wear them with a sport coat also... I guess I am not very fashionable.

As for what I find pleasing - http://www.hawesandcurtis.co.uk/men...e_collar_and_cuff_cutaway_collar-sqsfa151-j71 this is very pleasing to me..... Others may hate it - but it's not boring.

Gancini

Reaction score
My background:

I'm an attorney that works for a big law firm. I have some "nicer" shirts that I wear for formal occasions (a Brioni with French cuffs, a couple of higher-end Thomas Pink textured shirts, a couple of Burberry shirts, etc. in all the basic colors (white, blue, gray, purple, pink, etc.). What I'm looking for are more day-to-day shirts for work that are a bit more mid-level, perhaps one step up from CT/BB, but not too expensive or special. Something I can dress up with a tie or wear with a suit, but could also wear plain with no tie, and a pair of BB pants. I don't need to wear a suit and tie for work every day, but I do like to add a tie now and then.

In terms of style, I'm thinking more barrel cuff. The types of collars I like = those that look like CT's "classic" collars or Pink's semi-cutaway collars. Not too much of a spread collar. Non-iron is preferable, as I don't have the time to wash, iron, etc., but I'm open to those that would need ironing.

I'll definitely check out Hawes and Curtis and Kamakura. Would these be considered a step up from CT/BB? To be honest I just made my first purchase from CT and was pretty happy with the way their slim fit shirts with the classic collar fit and looked.

Thanks for the advice!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads