• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

500 Greatest Albums

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
petescolari: You may be right about Orbison. I don't know. I do know he's on the other list of 500 greatest songs. In the actual magazine article I have at home, there is an index which makes any particular artist/song easier to find.

I'm pretty sure the Beatles ended up with the most songs in the 500.

More good stuff in the next 100:

301. John Wesley Harding, Bob Dylan
307. Avalon, Roxy Music (yet another I like more than Pet Sounds)
313. Damn the Torpedoes, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

314. The Velvet Underground, The Velvet Underground
319. Burnin', Bob Marley and the Wailers

320. Pink Moon, Nick Drake

321. Sail Away, Randy Newman
325. Slowhand, Eric Clapton

326. Disintegration, The Cure

327. Jagged Little Pill, Alanis Morissette

328. Exile in Guyville, Liz Phair
331. Tonight's the Night, Neil Young

332. Help., The Beatles
339. The Heart of Saturday Night, Tom Waits
350. Rust Never Sleeps, Neil Young and Crazy Horse

351. Brothers in Arms, Dire Straits

352. 52nd Street, Billy Joel

353. Having a Rave Up With the Yardbirds, The Yardbirds

354. 12 Songs, Randy Newman

355. Between the Buttons, The Rolling Stones

356. Sketches of Spain, Miles Davis

360. Siamese Dream, The Smashing Pumpkins
362. L.A. Woman, The Doors
366. Mott, Mott the Hoople
385. Pretzel Logic, Steely Dan
393. Good Old Boys, Randy Newman

petescolari

Reaction score
356. Sketches of Spain, Miles Davis

One of my favorites. That and Miles Davis - Jack Johnson.

"I'm Jack Johnson...Heavyweight champion of the world."

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
petescolari: If you like Sketches, then you MUST like Kind of Blue. I think it is another album which should have been higher, yet I realize the main focus for this is rock, not jazz.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And, to finish, some I'd like to note in the last 100:

404. Sandinista., The Clash
407. Strange Days, The Doors
416. Mule Variations, Tom Waits
454. Getz/Gilberto, Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto Featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim
470. Document, R.E.M. (Should have been higher)
473. A Rush of Blood to the Head, Coldplay
487. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, The Smashing Pumpkins

I didn't notice Bad Company's self-titled debut. Should definitely have made the list. Maybe I just missed it.

petescolari

Reaction score
Definitely. Just like to fall asleep to Sketches of Spain though. Puts me out every time, and has since college.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
koji: Yes, Getz was a great one.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice to see another Getz fan.
smile.gif
koji

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
koji: Not only do I have Getz's music which was Latin influenced, I also have some of his straight ahead jazz stuff. He was great in all areas of jazz/blues. Many people don't realize he started with a more contemporary North American-based jazz before he met the Jobims and Gilbertos of the Southern hemisphere.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
454. Getz/Gilberto, Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto Featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim PHENOMENAL album. koji
it belongs in the top 10. i don't understand this 'top 500'. someone who appreciates joao gilberto would not put him at #454. #454 is an insult. it's a spit in the face. they should either put him near the top where he belongs, or admit that the list is about rock n' roll, and leave him off the list entirely. where is carlitos gardel? agustin lara? salli terri? edith piaf? marlene? "top 500 albums that white baby boomers from nebraska think is the greatest music of all time" should be the name of the list. i'm aware i'm being peevish, but geeeez.
sneaky2.gif

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"i'm aware i'm being peevish, but geeeez."

Yes. And, your taste obviously differs from many others. I love Getz too but realize he's not rock and that is the focus of the list. Having said that, I'm not so sure I'd put this album among my top ten of jazz either. some of Miles' stuff would go higher. Just remember this is not the matadorpoeta top 500 nor is it the bachbeet top 500 (which would no doubt contain rock, jazz, and classical).

Speaking of Miles, did anyone see Bitches Brew in the top 500? I would think it should be there. And also, In a Silent Way.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Getz too but realize he's not rock and that is the focus of the list.

that's my point. it is a rock list yet they don't state that in the title. by including the getz/gilbertos and robert johnsons, they imply that these are actually the top 500 albums without regard to genre. that's why it's a stupid list.

okay, i'll be more diplomatic. they should have called it "top 500 albums for rockers."

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me take a wild guess and predict that To the Extreme is nowhere to be found on this list, and would continue to be so, even if it were expanded to 500 quadrillion.

koji

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed Dylan's Blood on the Tracks. I still think it is his best release, Blonde on Blonde be damned. About half of the albumm was cut in late December 74 in Minneapolis after Dylan decided the NYC takes he'd cut in September weren't right. I just finished a book written about recording this album, which offers some interesting insights: "A Simple Twist of Fate: Bob Dylan and the Making of Blood on the Tracks". If you enjoy Dylan, it's worth a read. http://www.amazon.com/exec....5367216

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads