• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30 too old to rock?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Nice! You were smart to keep them...must be valuable antiques by now?
laugh.gif
Wish I had kept my first kit...a crappy set of Tama from the late 70's.

You still banging away in a garage at your age? I guess you aren't too old to rock!

I will never be too old to rock..

I also kept most of my destroyed heads over the years, dozens of them in the attic at my mom's place..

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8

I also kept most of my destroyed heads over the years, dozens of them in the attic at my mom's place..

I always wanted to save my broken sticks and try to use them for something but I could never figure out a something so I just threw them at the banjo player because he was, ya know, a banjo player.

Garage/Surf Rock

Reaction score
This is going to make it clear how obsessed I am with this topic these days, but oh well. I've been doing some research and it turns out a few -- and I'm sure others that I haven't come across yet -- famous rockers pretty much got their start at 30.
459px-Lemmy_K.jpg
Lemmy was already 30 when Motorhead started. He was in another band before this but he made his name with the former.
Luxinterior.jpg
Lux Interior was 30 when the Cramps began.
Chuck_berry_-_johnny_b_goode_-_record_label.jpg
And Chuck Berry was already 32 (29 when he wrote it) when he recorded Johnny B. Goode, which is the rock anthem. I'm not in any way comparing myself to these people. Maybe I can get a little affirmation out of this, dispel some common perceptions, or just lend some legitimacy to the efforts of those still rocking after 30, or some or all of the above, whatever. I know these are exceptions. There's the whole 27 legend about all those famous rock stars who were already dead before they even hit 30 by a good few years, and by and large most do get their start way earlier, like 18 or 19. But at least I hope people read this and not completely throw away their dreams or hobbies because of nonsense comments that some negative people make. Anyway, keep rocking and have fun.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garage/Surf Rock
Also, I realize the irony of, and how un-rock it is, dwelling on **** like this.

laugh.gif
I was just thinking the same thing. Just, please, do not write a song about it.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Keep on rockin'
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
I'm always referencing these guys, but I'll cite the Fleshtones as Exhibit A for over-30 rockers. Also, the greatest band nobody knows - the Morells/Skeletons....
worship.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8

I think the bolded part is essential in having the right attitide to rawk. You have to keep stuff at a parent's or relative's house. Lends credibility to the rocker vibe, that you have to store stuff elsewhere.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this thread last night. It reminded me of a few nights ago, when some friends and I went out to some local bar. You know, the kind with meathead bouncers, guido's ordering redbull and vodka, and obnoxious bachelorette parties. We proceed to the back patio, where a band is performing. Each member must either be well over 30, or at least on the cusp. The band was playing top 40 hits and older alternative songs that would be popular with the 20-somethings at the bar. I have to say, it was a very sad performance. All the members were dressing far too young with their TR jeans, Ed Hardy shirts, tribal tattoos, and balding (yet spikey) hair. The songs were played half-assed, and were bad to begin with. I was embarrassed for them.

As I sat and thought about this last night, I felt that there is a clear distinction between 30+ rockers in a ****** cover band, and 30+ rockers that play within a particular genre (or subculture, if you will). It seems that within a given genre, people are much more forgiving about age and focus more on the music. For instance, with rockabilly/surf music, I bet age could work more as a sign of experience. That you've been in the scene so long, you know what's up and how to rock out properly. Granted this could be different from music scene to music scene, but at least you're not playing to a crowd of boozed up, over-tanned suburbanites.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
I was thinking about this thread last night. It reminded me of a few nights ago, when some friends and I went out to some local bar. You know, the kind with meathead bouncers, guido's ordering redbull and vodka, and obnoxious bachelorette parties. We proceed to the back patio, where a band is performing. Each member must either be well over 30, or at least on the cusp. The band was playing top 40 hits and older alternative songs that would be popular with the 20-somethings at the bar. I have to say, it was a very sad performance. All the members were dressing far too young with their TR jeans, Ed Hardy shirts, tribal tattoos, and balding (yet spikey) hair. The songs were played half-assed, and were bad to begin with. I was embarrassed for them.

As I sat and thought about this last night, I felt that there is a clear distinction between 30+ rockers in a ****** cover band, and 30+ rockers that play within a particular genre (or subculture, if you will). It seems that within a given genre, people are much more forgiving about age and focus more on the music. For instance, with rockabilly/surf music, I bet age could work more as a sign of experience. That you've been in the scene so long, you know what's up and how to rock out properly. Granted this could be different from music scene to music scene, but at least you're not playing to a crowd of boozed up, over-tanned suburbanites.

Well to be fair, they would have looked marsupialed bowling or taking their kids to the park as well..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads