• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30-Something Style Newbie

Flattman

Reaction score
Hello, folks. I'm 33, and am just beginning to put a bit more (translation: Any Whatsoever) effort into building a wardrobe. Recently did a lucrative career-change, so actually having a decent income played a large part in moving beyond the 'Random crap I've had in my closet since '92' theme.

So far -- Becoming a bit of a Kenneth Cole fan. Great fit for me, for the most part (I'm 5'10"/160. KC slim-fit shirts are -perfect-.). Took almost forever to find a good fit in jeans (I'm usually a 32x32, though I waver about a half-inch on the long side. Most 32's were too short, most 34's were too long), though DKNY's line had a good cut for me.

Such bare basics aside, I did get a bit lost. I keep eyeballing suits, but it's sort of a 'Just to have a suit' pull. I work in healthcare, so my 'work' attire is 'Throw on a set of scrubs', and it's been almost three years since I've actually attended a remotely formal event. As I've moved to a new city, I don't see any near-future weddings, funerals, or 'other' I might be invited to -- So I guess I'd be leaning strongly toward 'casual'.

A lot of the styles I'm looking at seem to strike me a bit too 'College Age', so I just thought I'd pop in and try to touch base with some people who actually know what they're talking about for suggestions about possible directions to look into.

While I'm getting more 'professional' vocationally, I still have an excessive casual streak (Used to, and plan on returning to, play acoustic rock singer/songwriter stuff so... the 'dress shirt and slacks' theme just doesn't seem to fit my personality. On the other hand, I don't want to look like I'm tenaciously clinging to my Younger Glory Days by looking like I wish I was still 18).

Any ideas for that sort of a 'Transitional Phase' in life?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of cool looking guys your age who want to kick-it-up-a-notch after wearing nothing but ironic t-shirts , jeans and sneakers. And, you can always keep those for your more casual outings.

I would look for a dark tailored jacket. Consider what goes best with hair color and skin type. Navy works for just about everybody but a charcol grey is very on-trend in color. Wear it over a sweater or for more of a sharp statement or downtown look over a nice fitted white shirt. One hint here, keep the size of the collar of the shirt in scale with the size of the lapel of the jacket. Wear this with jeans and you can go almost anywhere. You can also go another step and delete the sneakers and add a leather shoe. This is an area where you can have a lot of fun. Consider a style that makes the right statement for you...maybe a boot, a tie oxford, slip-ons.

I find I get into more conversations with women when I wear cool shoes or a pocket square. It is a great conversation starter.

Flattman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I see a lot of cool looking guys your age who want to kick-it-up-a-notch after wearing nothing but ironic t-shirts , jeans and sneakers. And, you can always keep those for your more casual outings.

I would look for a dark tailored jacket. Consider what goes best with hair color and skin type. Navy works for just about everybody but a charcol grey is very on-trend in color. Wear it over a sweater or for more of a sharp statement or downtown look over a nice fitted white shirt. One hint here, keep the size of the collar of the shirt in scale with the size of the lapel of the jacket. Wear this with jeans and you can go almost anywhere. You can also go another step and delete the sneakers and add a leather shoe. This is an area where you can have a lot of fun. Consider a style that makes the right statement for you...maybe a boot, a tie oxford, slip-ons.

I find I get into more conversations with women when I wear cool shoes or a pocket square. It is a great conversation starter.

That makes an interesting sub-question. I'd been eyeballing some jackets, usually in Navy. (I recently managed to find a great-fitting off-white henley that I've become overly fond of. How do you feel about the blazer/henley combination?) At the moment, I've got a couple pairs of leather Rockports in black and brown to mix into the rotation.

Back to the sub-question: I'm pretty high-contrast in coloration. Take the most fair-skinned white guy you know, and then put a shock of jet-black hair on his head and you're there. Green eyes, but a person has to be pretty much in my face to notice as they're deep-set and smallish-narrow. What might be some color combinations to steer toward/away from?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are very pale, stay away from grey unless it is a very dark charcol. Navy seems to work best as a jacket for your skin/hair color. Henleys are fine. American style is all about mixing tailored clothing and sportswear.

Rockports are fine. But, if you want to have some fun and make a statement, try some shoes that have more of a design style to them with an interesting shape, maybe distressed leather or burnished leather, a strap closure like a monk strap shoe, they are tons of options. Rockports can look a little like the shoe version of Dockers. I know they are comfortable and practical shoes so I don't want to knock them. But how many guys get into conversations by wearing Rockports?

Good luck!

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Don't know what your shoe situation is, but I hope you stay away from KC shoes. They are poorly made, and just not worth the money. Look at Allen Edmonds (or Crockett & Jones if you have the money). Both make lasts in a wide variety of shapes that will fit most feet, look better and last much longer.

Avers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmoraitis
Don't know what your shoe situation is, but I hope you stay away from KC shoes. They are poorly made, and just not worth the money. Look at Allen Edmonds (or Crockett & Jones if you have the money). Both make lasts in a wide variety of shapes that will fit most feet, look better and last much longer.

I would second that on KC shoes.

They used to be decent when KC manufactured them in Italy (leather outsoles, appealing styles) and I had few pairs which I bought around $40 each, but since KC switched production to China - the shoes I've been seeing in the stores are horrible.

Search eBay & discount stores and you should be able to find Allen Edmonds for similar price ($100-150 new) that KC shoes are selling.

Will

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A henley and a blazer are highly unlikely to make a good combination. As for color combinations, a light-colored jacket with a light-colored shirt probably would wash you out and much black above the waist in normal lighting might create a goth/emo look. It's hard to picture your style because you have hardly described it, but corduroys or moleskins might fit in it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads