• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's not like Chris Davis has come out of nowhere. He was always regarded as a power prospect, hitting 17 and 21 HRs in his first two seasons (with limited ABs) before struggling to find ABs in his next couple of years on a stacked Texas team. Arriving in Baltimore last year and getting his first full season of 400+ ABs he hit 33 HRs. Now he's 27, the typical breakout year for baseball players, and he's on a tear. I don't think anyone expected this big a year, but 40 HRs has always been within his ceiling. Baseball probably will always have a steroid cloud over it, but there's no more reason to suspect Davis than anyone else in the league.

The truth is Yankee fans are just miserable people.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Today's Detroit Free Press had an interview with '68 Tiger pitchers, Denny McClain and Mickey Lolich:

So how would those two Tigers greats pitch to the best hitter in the game today, Miguel Cabrera?

“I’d knock him on his ass,” McLain said. “That’s first. I would show him that he does not own the inside part of the plate, that’s No. 1. And then I would throw nothing but one fastball after another and let him try to hit it. But fastballs in, because if you extend it, you extend the fastball outside of the inside part of the plate, he’s probably going to hit it somewhere.

“I don’t want him hitting the ball up the middle. Not if I’m pitching.”

And Lolich would heed the advice of former pitching coach Johnny Sain — two of the first three pitches strikes — but wouldn’t dare throw last year’s Triple Crown winner a first-pitch fastball.

“Why anybody’d throw a first-pitch fastball to Miguel Cabrera is stupid,” Lolich said. “He’ll hit it 9,000 feet. I wouldn’t throw him a fastball on the first pitch."​

I loved this!

Cabrera hit a HR off Miguel Gonzalez the other night that was 5 inches inside the plate.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
it's too bad he couldn't stop the O's from taking 2 of 3 from the Tigers!

That Friday night game when they came back off Valverde was one of the awesomest games I've seen.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
45 years ago, Denny McClain had the cockiest attitude in baseball, and he hasn't changed a bit in all this time. His life, after baseball, has been one tragic moment after another. A true rascal.

Last edited:

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

That makes it not cheating?

You're a lawyer and know better than I but isn't a matter like this merely HEARSAY without PROOF.

Today's Detroit Free Press had an interview with '68 Tiger pitchers, Denny McClain and Mickey Lolich:

So how would those two Tigers greats pitch to the best hitter in the game today, Miguel Cabrera?

“I’d knock him on his ass,” McLain said. “That’s first. I would show him that he does not own the inside part of the plate, that’s No. 1. And then I would throw nothing but one fastball after another and let him try to hit it. But fastballs in, because if you extend it, you extend the fastball outside of the inside part of the plate, he’s probably going to hit it somewhere.

“I don’t want him hitting the ball up the middle. Not if I’m pitching.”

And Lolich would heed the advice of former pitching coach Johnny Sain — two of the first three pitches strikes — but wouldn’t dare throw last year’s Triple Crown winner a first-pitch fastball.

“Why anybody’d throw a first-pitch fastball to Miguel Cabrera is stupid,” Lolich said. “He’ll hit it 9,000 feet. I wouldn’t throw him a fastball on the first pitch."​

I loved this!

This

It's not like Chris Davis has come out of nowhere. He was always regarded as a power prospect, hitting 17 and 21 HRs in his first two seasons (with limited ABs) before struggling to find ABs in his next couple of years on a stacked Texas team. Arriving in Baltimore last year and getting his first full season of 400+ ABs he hit 33 HRs. Now he's 27, the typical breakout year for baseball players, and he's on a tear. I don't think anyone expected this big a year, but 40 HRs has always been within his ceiling. Baseball probably will always have a steroid cloud over it, but there's no more reason to suspect Davis than anyone else in the league.

The truth is Yankee fans are just miserable people.

And this.

45 years ago, Denny McClain had the cockiest attitude in baseball, and he hasn't changed a bit in all this time. His life, after baseball, has been one tragic moment after another. A true character.

My first year truly to become conscious of baseball. Sorta remember Yaz and (especially) Gibson from the year before. Between Gibson and McClain a couple of incredible years.

I wish I could stay up on it like you guys do...

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

You're a lawyer and know better than I but isn't a matter like this merely HEARSAY without PROOF.

You're basically, right, although in strictly speaking, in law-talking terms it's not merely hearsay (which has a technical meaning that's specific to the judicial process) . But it might be fair to characterize it as speculation or innuendo, neither of which are generally considered acceptable forms of proof. But the process of drawing (or urging others to draw) a reasonable conclusion from the available circumstantial evidence (even in the absence of any direct evidence) is certainly acceptable.

But that's really a different point than I was making (to the extent I was making one at all). Whether or not you're cheating (or selling crack, or stealing money from the collection plate, or whatever) is a completely separate question from whether you've been caught and/or whether sufficient evidence exists to convict you beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact that he hasn't been caught might be due to the fact that he's not cheating, or it might be due to the fact that he hasn't been caught even though he is cheating.

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Where's our New Jersey friend now that ARod is facing a 100 game suspension and Chris Davis is not???

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Puig!!!!!

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You're basically, right, although in strictly speaking, in law-talking terms it's not merely hearsay (which has a technical meaning that's specific to the judicial process) . But it might be fair to characterize it as speculation or innuendo, neither of which are generally considered acceptable forms of proof. But the process of drawing (or urging others to draw) a reasonable conclusion from the available circumstantial evidence (even in the absence of any direct evidence) is certainly acceptable.

But that's really a different point than I was making (to the extent I was making one at all). Whether or not you're cheating (or selling crack, or stealing money from the collection plate, or whatever) is a completely separate question from whether you've been caught and/or whether sufficient evidence exists to convict you beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact that he hasn't been caught might be due to the fact that he's not cheating, or it might be due to the fact that he hasn't been caught even though he is cheating.

You're a lawyer?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Does that cover his DL time? Without pay? Is MLB re-testing Braun?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where's our New Jersey friend now that ARod is facing a 100 game suspension and Chris Davis is not???

A-Rod isn't the only player affected by the Bio-Genesis scandal. Also he and several others have been linked to PED's before.

It usually takes quite a while before someone who gets hot to come under more scrutiny or eventually screws up and gets flagged for PED's anyways.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, look, all the Yankee fans are coming out now.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, look, all the Yankee fans are coming out now.

I quickly read over the list... (and noticed no Red Sox players on it) and was like: GOOD JOB MLB! KEEP IT UP AND CLEAN UP THIS SPORT! :lol:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads