• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2014-2015 OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD (+ Brazil 2014) - Football, Soccer, Calcio, Voetball, Fútbol, Futebo

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I really hope I'm wrong, but I fear the final is going to be a repeat of Germany's pummeling of Argentina in the 2010 World Cup quarterfinals. Has Argentina looked championship caliber in any of its games?

In all honesty, no. But Germany has looked terrifying in only one game so far, its last one (plus maybe the first game against Portugal, but I still haven't seen that one). I agree they should be the favorite to win it all, but they haven't necessarily been head and shoulders above all competition

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really hope I'm wrong, but I fear the final is going to be a repeat of Germany's pummeling of Argentina in the 2010 World Cup quarterfinals. Has Argentina looked championship caliber in any of its games?

No, but their defense has looked far more stout than Maradona's back four w/ one shielding midfielder monstrosity-of-a-formation four years ago. Along with an almost-home crowd, I think the playing field may be quite level come Sunday.

Although Brazil did have a home crowd and that didn't seem to help much.

In all honesty, no. But Germany has looked terrifying in only one game so far, its last one (plus maybe the first game against Portugal, but I still haven't seen that one). I agree they should be the favorite to win it all, but they haven't necessarily been head and shoulders above all competition

Germany has looked lethal at times, but then they sputtered against an organized USA side, and had to fight for points against Ghana. I think Brazil folded under pressure and wasn't a true indicator of the level of the German squad. Strong yes, but still issues (as has been the story this tourney)

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. David Luiz & Co. may have made Germany look better than they are.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It was a fairly subdued game.  I am willing to put money that all the players were thinking "First things first.  Let's not get humiliated as badly as Brazil did yesterday.  That would suck."

Netherland's first shot on target was in the 99th minute and Robben only touched the ball 4 times during the match. In addition, Messi never touched the ball in the penalty area in the entire 2 hours of play...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i'm having a hard time coming to terms with injuries in this sport. Small poke to the arm, and down on the grass writing in pain. Concussion? Back in action!

take it from a hockey fan, FIFA needs to take concussions and head injuries very seriously.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Let me just say that the Argentina coach is awesome - standing there, not leaving the sideline, in his suit and tie, and getting as rain-soaked as the players on the field.

Everyone does that that I've seen.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I watched the entire game and, as an immediate example, I saw the Dutch coach sitting every time.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Germany has looked lethal at times, but then they sputtered against an organized USA side, and had to fight for points against Ghana. I think Brazil folded under pressure and wasn't a true indicator of the level of the German squad. Strong yes, but still issues (as has been the story this tourney)

The second half of Germany-Ghana was the best football of the entire World Cup. Ghana provided a road map of sorts on how to beat Germany. Germany is a great front-running team, so you need to attack and get them on their heels. The game changed when Ghana took advantage of a lazy giveaway by a German defender to score its second goal.

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The second half of Germany-Ghana was the best football of the entire World Cup. Ghana provided a road map of sorts on how to beat Germany. Germany is a great front-running team, so you need to attack and get them on their heels. The game changed when Ghana took advantage of a lazy giveaway by a German defender to score its second goal.

I could give you a long explanation how that happened and how it no longer applies. Lahm played in defensive midfield up until the Algeria game, lots of problems ensued. Since the France match he is back in defense as right back, where he belongs. Hummels was injured in the Ghana (and Algeria?) match, and Mertesacker is just too slow as center back. In essence, the team sheet has changed from then, and the defense has found its rhythm, are fast/er, and overall the best starting line-up has been identified. Wouldn't be surprised if the starting eleven is the exact same as in the Brazil game. Possible exception, Schuerrle starting on Ozil's position, as left winger.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope Sanchez will do well for Arsenal.

Arsenal now need to unload all their dead weight. They have what, 8-9 starting-grade midfielders? Arteta headed for Fiorentina, but then Özil, Cazorla, Walcott, Ox, Ramsay, Wilshire, Diaby, and who knows who else.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beyond the insanely tight fit, I like them. Puma always has a fresh take.

Seeing your average fan in those though... :uhoh:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads