• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wolf shirt is so good

C94F2E23-B3E7-4B75-8AB6-FA1A8EF859A5.jpeg

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Morning fellas - Question for you all.

We recently received an email from a repeat customer that said he feels disappointed with the initial product presentation in online order shipments. The major call out was that he was unhappy with the fact that we roll pack our garments, which he feels makes it look like we don't care about how they are presented. I've seen a couple comments on the TF discord (shout out @robat19 and @sushijerk and sizing up) about this as well, suggesting that our garments often look wrinkled and messy out of the box.

I consciously chose to roll pack 18 East pieces because I want all of our garments to feel lived in, rumpled and not too perfect from the get go (and I always hated those hard creases on pressed flat packed clothes). That said, I certainly don't want the first impression of our product to be one of disappointment, as we try really hard to make our pieces feel like you’re getting more than what you pay for.

Do you all have a similar feeling? This is a good jump off point in general as we start to think about trying to improve the shipment experience now that the majority of our orders are fulfilled by our outside warehouse.

Phinis

Reaction score

We recently received an email from a repeat customer that said he feels disappointed with the initial product presentation in online order shipments. The major call out was that he was unhappy with the fact that we roll pack our garments, which he feels makes it look like we don't care about how they are presented. I've seen a couple comments on the TF discord (shout out @robat19 and @sushijerk and sizing up) about this as well, suggesting that our garments often look wrinkled and messy out of the box.

I consciously chose to roll pack 18 East pieces because I want all of our garments to feel lived in, rumpled and not too perfect from the get go (and I always hated those hard creases on pressed flat packed clothes). That said, I certainly don't want the first impression of our product to be one of disappointment, as we try really hard to make our pieces feel like you’re getting more than what you pay for.

Do you all have a similar feeling? This is a good jump off point in general as we start to think about trying to improve the shipment experience now that the majority of our orders are fulfilled by our outside warehouse.
I personally have come to really like this experience, and the underlying motivation makes sense too. I think the first time I experienced it, it was new, but not in a bad way, and it's definitely an efficient way of packing too?

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I personally have come to really like this experience, and the underlying motivation makes sense too. I think the first time I experienced it, it was new, but not in a bad way, and it's definitely an efficient way of packing too?

It is efficient but was driven more by aesthetics (was a technique we used to use at Rugby for all the non-tailored/fully fashioned pieces and I always loved it).

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The packing and presentation don't bother me at all. I agree with you; 18 East stuff looks better rumpled and lived it. But, the only issue I've experienced is getting a couple of items (maybe half a year or a year ago?) that were rolled up, but they were damp. I assume this is because they were packed in a humid climate? Either way, they ended up smelling pretty bad coming out of the box. But, that hasn't been an issue recently.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The packing and presentation don't bother me at all. I agree with you; 18 East stuff looks better rumpled and lived it. But, the only issue I've experienced is getting a couple of items (maybe half a year or a year ago?) that were rolled up, but they were damp. I assume this is because they were packed in a humid climate? Either way, they ended up smelling pretty bad coming out of the box. But, that hasn't been an issue recently.

That sucks and is a strange one - only thing I can think of is that the box from the initial shipment from india got damaged/wet on its way to the warehouse. hopefully our cs team helped you out with an exchange??

Last edited:

jaaz16

Reaction score

I don't mind the rolling because I find the clothes all look better after a wash (and sometimes a dry) anyway--consistent with the "lived in" experience. Like, you should want to wash/dry your goreckis out of the gate even if they were packed neatly. So, yes, the fabrics never look quite right immediately (they feel flatter than the product photos for sure), but for nearly all pieces it's kind of irrelevant insofar as most of the fabrics look better after a wash no matter how it's packed.

That said, for some items like wool and/or outerwear, the rolling does add a layer of work to get them wearable in my opinion. For example, I've hung up my Biella and Bal coats overnight to get rid of the wrinkles, as I don't think they look as good with signs of being crumpled. It makes me wonder if it's worth considering a regular fold for certain items (pricier, wool, etc).

Since we're on the topic, I'll throw it out there that I loved the extremely minimal packaging from a few years back, where there were no packing slips or even plastic bags. I suspect for entirely legitimate reasons that's impossible now (especially dealing with a warehouse, you probably really need those individualized plastic bags to prevent damage), and it's probably not making a huge environmental impact, but wanted to throw it in the mix since you asked.

ramdomthought

Reaction score
i prefer the rolling - easier to get it repacked if i need to return, usually means a smaller amount of packaging to get rid of.

Anything cotton - couldn't given less of a **** how it comes as I'll be trying it on and typically washing it after.

Only thing I've had any issues with are the things I can't easily wash. Woolens are tougher as I can't wash em and am too lazy to dry clean most of the time. I remember getting the molly balmacaan in and it took ages to get the seams to fall right due to the packaging setting on some weird creases

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sucks and is a strange one - only thing I can think of is that box from the initial shipment from india got damaged/wet on its way to the warehouse. hopefully our cs team helped you out with an exchange??

Oh, I didn't bother reaching out. I just washed it and it was good to go. And, like I said, this was some time back. I think I remember someone else on here mentioning they had the same issue.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I don't mind the rolling because I find the clothes all look better after a wash (and sometimes a dry) anyway--consistent with the "lived in" experience. Like, you should want to wash/dry your goreckis out of the gate even if they were packed neatly. So, yes, the fabrics never look quite right immediately (they feel flatter than the product photos for sure), but for nearly all pieces it's kind of irrelevant insofar as most of the fabrics look better after a wash no matter how it's packed.

That said, for some items like wool and/or outerwear, the rolling does add a layer of work to get them wearable in my opinion. For example, I've hung up my Biella and Bal coats overnight to get rid of the wrinkles, as I don't think they look as good with signs of being crumpled. It makes me wonder if it's worth considering a regular fold for certain items (pricier, wool, etc).

Since we're on the topic, I'll throw it out there that I loved the extremely minimal packaging from a few years back, where there were no packing slips or even plastic bags. I suspect for entirely legitimate reasons that's impossible now (especially dealing with a warehouse, you probably really need those individualized plastic bags to prevent damage), and it's probably not making a huge environmental impact, but wanted to throw it in the mix since you asked.

Appreciate this feedback - thank you.

What you’re referring to at the end is from when I was fulfilling all the orders myself and I used to deploy bag everything, throw in stickers, etc. I wish this was possible with third party fulfillment but unfortunately polybags and packing slips are standard for them.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunilssingla