• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ninzer33

Reaction score
Managed to get the tee off the Bodega website. Sold out quick on the 18E site!

Might go to the studio tomorrow and grab the neck gaiter too. Had it in my cart and removed it, kinda regretting it already.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Managed to get the tee off the Bodega website. Sold out quick on the 18E site!

Might go to the studio tomorrow and grab the neck gaiter too. Had it in my cart and removed it, kinda regretting it already.
The neck gaiter is super dope. I really want it, but I’m debating internally if would wear it as much as I think I would. The hat is cool too!

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad was in the car when I picked up my last 18E pkg from the PO box, it seemed natural to bless him with a Stowe hat for enjoying the natural world with his girl. Sorry for the low vis.
PXL_20220208_210559606~2.jpg

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess this is news, but I dunno how appropriate it is here. Seems like there’s a disagreement or something, but personally I’d rather have more discussion on the brand and not turn the thread into a string of complaints.
I'm also not sure I understand why he'd get a cut for taking a picture of a leaf? He's not even the person who made the connection to camo - if anything, the crew @homebase610 might have a better argument for design credit, as they had the actual idea. Of course, there's a huge difference between saying "that'd be cool" and designing a pattern, and only Antonio knows whether it's an inspiration for the camo in this collection.

If he had both taken the picture and also suggested it'd make a good camo pattern, then I could see (maybe) wanting a bit of credit, and I do think he's trying to conflate the comment on his post by another person with the content of his post. But, since he didn't personally make the connection, then I'd say this is just how the internet works.

(That said, I always think it's best to be over-generous with credit, so if the pic and comment were partial, even unintentional inspo, then might as well cite.)

Last edited:

jaaz16

Reaction score
To be fair, this isn't just some rando on the internet making the claim for credit, it's a (former?) employee/model/team member as far as I can tell. And it is the inspo, right? Like the actual photo of that particular leaf was the inspiration for the pattern. The question, I think, is what compensation--if any--is deserved for a photo used for inspiration for a pattern someone else developed. And I'm not sure what I think...but I do think it's legitimate to talk about.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had no idea he was (or was once) a team member, which definitely changes things a bit from random inspiration, which doesn't often require or merit compensation, to possible labor. Although it still doesn't seem as if the poster/photographer had the actual idea to perhaps develop this as a textile pattern, and that seems to me the important step. Many (I'd even say most) designers take their ideas for the color schemes they use in their collections from the visual arts and prior works of fashion.

But yep, always best to cite and give credit, and especially so if the person you're crediting worked for you.

jaaz16

Reaction score
^ Agree, and didn't mean to imply anything with my post, just trying to clarify the situation. My gut reaction was that a publicly available photo may warrant a nice shoutout but I don't understand why there'd be an expectation of more. But...my lack of understanding may reflect my ignorance to the larger set of circumstances that none of us know, you know what I mean?

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Agree, and didn't mean to imply anything with my post, just trying to clarify the situation. My gut reaction was that a publicly available photo may warrant a nice shoutout but I don't understand why there'd be an expectation of more. But...my lack of understanding may reflect my ignorance to the larger set of circumstances that none of us know, you know what I mean?
Absolutely - I'm just now leaving grad school and worked as research assistant for a couple of relatively famous professors over the last few years. I certainly know, then, how working for someone in that context, given the power imbalances that exist within it, can severely complicate matters of attribution, compensation, and even kindness.

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of don’t get it…..first off, I guessing we’ve all worked on projects at a company and then left before the project was finished. When those projects launch we don’t go back to the company and say hey pay me more because I contributed to that project at some point and now it’s actually a thing. That company paid me while I worked there and own the ideas born at that time.

Secondly, there’s a big gap between a picture of a leaf and a full blown garment. Theres pattern and textile development, garment patterning, manufacturing logistics etc. What exactly is 18E supposed to credit? That the print is inspired by a photo taken by a former employee? That seems absurd. Any claims that 18E owes former employee more money for some reason also seems absurd.

All due respect to the guys above but this isn’t academia where credits/citation and attribution are more of a thing.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of don’t get it…..first off, I guessing we’ve all worked on projects at a company and then left before the project was finished. When those projects launch we don’t go back to the company and say hey pay me more because I contributed to that project at some point and now it’s actually a thing. That company paid me while I worked there and own the ideas born at that time.

Secondly, there’s a big gap between a picture of a leaf and a full blown garment. Theres pattern and textile development, garment patterning, manufacturing logistics etc. What exactly is 18E supposed to credit? That the print is inspired by a photo taken by a former employee? That seems absurd. Any claims that 18E owes former employee more money for some reason also seems absurd.

All due respect to the guys above but this isn’t academia where credits/citation and attribution are more of a thing.
No, I think you're right - I tend to be in total agreement with you concerning the practicalities of the matter. You might get a mention in the thank you section of an academic paper for that--right around the point where the writer thanks everyone in their department, all the students who took part in their seminars, etc.--but nothing more. My initial response was also that there's nothing there, and that the gap between taking a picture and creating a garment is basically everything important to the job. I think @jaaz16 is just pointing out that the fact of previous employment means that there might be additional complicating factors that we just don't know.

Based on what we do know, however, I agree with your take completely.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys it's a leaf.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And Eternity in an hour.
--William Blake

But what if the leaf is God?

(Also notice my proper use of citation. I am not myself in fact the author of the poetry of William Blake.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads