• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

12 Year Old With 170 IQ Is a Math Prodigy

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Is he actually being offered research positions? This was stuff I was expected to know or the first term of my undergraduate degree. Obviously a gifted 12 year old, but he's a way off conducting serious research.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
Is he actually being offered research positions? This was stuff I was expected to know or the first term of my undergraduate degree. Obviously a gifted 12 year old, but he's a way off conducting serious research.

I didn't watch all the videos, but I agree that this seems like primer stuff. There are no conclusions that he arrived at by himself, and nothing aproaching the higher mathematics in Good Will Hunting.

Hell, I gave a class presentation on General Relativity in the 7th grade, and here I am 20+ years later trading gay sex joaks with Kwilk on the internets.

I will say that if he does have Asperger's, it doesn't seem particularly apparent to me. He sounds like a regular 12-year-old boy to me, and isn't droney or inexpressive like many Asperger's kids.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Thanks for the dose of reality, fellas. He's obviously not that smart.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...elativity.html

Nobody said he wasn't smart. Juding from the article (and the professor's rather cagey comment), he could very well be a real-deal savant.

People were just saying, judging from his YouTube videos, that he seemed to be simply regurgitating mathematics. There's a world of difference in difficulty between understanding other people's theorems and creating your own.

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
I'm not that impressed.

He's wearing a fleece and it's sunny.

Oh, and he watches the science channel then regurgitates what he see's.

Cool.

*#..

Reaction score
Smart kid, I took a class on this subject, and he is 100% correct. I saw about half of it, and I'm too lazy to watch the other 9 minute half. I'm impressed he knows this much at such a young age, also teaching himself calculus, trig, etc. He has a lot of potential.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know why they posted that video with the news article. Its really simple and some of his videos are much more complex.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Nothing classier than adults trying to put down a random 12 year old kid that shows an ability that exceeds their own.
Jesus christ, seriously, stay classy Styleforum
facepalm.gif
EDIT: Actually, I just noticed it's only a Youtube link and not the actual article that I stumbled across (which portrayed him as fairly normal, said he liked guitar hero and stuff). Seriously, as long as this kid can still enjoy kid stuff and hang out with other kids I don't see the link to him being socially inept. My friends aren't the people I sit around with discussing theoretical physics and debating international politics, they're the ones I get drunk with and do dumb stuff.

Monaco

Reaction score
Was that whiteboard joke an attempt at humor?

Anyway, I think he is pretty cool. More social than my teen cousin who is totally anti-social and gives me one worded responses, two if I'm lucky.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone thought that maybe he sounds like he is "regurgitating" maths because he is making videos explaining the concepts?

Its like Wikipedia because they are both for the same purpose; explaining complex **** to normal people. The fact he has managed to dumb down a subject does not mean his is in fact dumb.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Hell, I gave a class presentation on General Relativity in the 7th grade, and here I am 20+ years later trading gay sex joaks with Kwilk on the internets.
Hey **** you too, man. I had a 4.0 in HS. I was going places, maaan!

toslat

Reaction score
I think there is always a depth and breadth dimension to abilities. The narrower your breadth, the faster you can increase your depth. If you are lucky to get matched with something you have an affinity for, then you can really improve your depth much faster.

I think all people are exceptional in one way/thing or another, just that most never find out what it is, and end up living their live in mediocrity, which is not bad if you are happy IMO.

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackfyre
His social skills are going to be all screwed up. A mind on that level is so beyond all but a few people.

It's prone to be less of an issue in adulthood, if it's any consolation. And it seems to me he's pretty well-adjusted--good to see his parents aren't too singularly focused on his intellectual gifts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads