• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

starter navy suit questions

cardsfan89

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

Short time lurker, first time poster. I've read a lot of threads here pertaining to the various competitive suit manufacturers in the ~$600 price range for half-canvassed, and I think I've mostly settled on Brooks Brothers 1818 for my first 'real' suit. I've read on here that BB will run 2/$1200 on the 1818 line, but I've also read advice that one should avoid the two-for deals when buying their first suits since they lack familiarity (and are thus opening themselves up to the opportunity to make two mistakes instead of one). This makes sense to me, so I'm just looking for a single suit at the moment.

A little bit about my situation -- I'm active duty military in the processing of transitioning to civilian life to start a full-time MBA program. I've worn a uniform since graduating college so I've never really *needed* to pay as much attention to men's business formal attire as I should have. I'm about 18 months out from separating from the military and beginning my graduate program, so I have plenty of time to stalk sales and wait for good value. So here I am, beginning my quest of assembling my 'grown-up' wardrobe for business school and life after business school.

With that being said, I understand that the general recommendation is to kick off a wardrobe with a charcoal suit, a navy suit, and a light grey suit (in addition to the classic navy blazer).

I'm specifically looking at a few clearance options in Madison 41R (I went to a store and the 1818 line seemed to fit nicely in this size):

-http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Madison-Fit-Shadow-Stripe-1818-Suit/MK00716,default,pd.html
-http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Madison-Fit-Saxxon-Wool-Track-Stripe-1818-Suit/MK00353,default,pd.html
-http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Madison-Fit-Saxxon-Wool-Narrow-Double-Pinstripe-1818-Suit/MK00723,default,pd.html

Here are my questions:
- I understand that solid navy is the preference. The third suit I listed has what I believe are pretty noticeable/loud pinstripes, so I'm assuming this would be a no-go. But the first two options are much more subtle (to my untrained eye)... would either of these be appropriate to function as my primary navy suit?
- A broader question -- are the suits offered on clearance typically 'out of style', for lack of a better term? Should I even be shopping the clearance section? I'm trying to wait for value, and these certainly seem to fit that bill based on the research I've been doing here for the last few weeks, but I'd hate to buy some suits thinking I'm getting a killer deal only to realize they need replaced two years later.

I've tried searching and googling StyleForum posts with similar questions but haven't had any luck. My apologies if these are frequently asked questions that I've missed.

I appreciate the help.

-Chris

EDIT: oh, I opened a BB MasterCard and have 15% off for the next month, which I understand I can apply to clearance deals... so these seem to be good deals if they're quality suits that can serve as staples in my wardrobe

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  1. Discreet pin stripe fine, rope stripe can be OK but you don't specify intended use.
  2. Suits which are reduced are generally those left at the end of the season and there is no reason to avoid them.
The one thing that you MUST do is go to a bricks and mortar shop where you can try the garments to see which fit. Fit is more important than something you like but is too tight or too much like a sack on you.

cardsfan89

Reaction score
GBR - thanks for the reply! Would you consider any of those three linked discrete? I'm really leaning toward the Shadow stripe (first suit I linked) if it's appropriate/versatile. As far as intended use, it'll be worn during grad school for presentations, networking events, and interviews. I'll be settling down in the midwest and probably won't be working in consulting or i-banking, but other than I'm not sure what the work environment would be like -- but I want to be ready in case a suit and tie are required regularly.

I'm making another trip to the nearest BB store to me (~100 miles) tomorrow to try on sizes again, but I'm pretty confident that I've found a good fit.

Thanks again.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are all discreet. All would certainly be suitable for the purposes you describe. They do seem expensive though.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a general comment. You have chosen suit(s) that
are very generic and bland and, if I might say "mid-American",
in terms of style. That could very well be your intention if your
future area of business dresses that way. Style Forum presents
a less conservative, more "styled" way of dressing which at the
same time accommodates several different approaches, e.g.
Neapolitan/Italian, British, American Trad, etc. Unless you are
wedded to the Madison Cut, I suggest you spend some time
deciding the style. Also, my guess is that you can find suits
similar to the Madison at much lower prices than BB from outlets,
department stores, online.

cardsfan89

Reaction score
Hi Comrade - thanks for the reply. My intent was to be a bit conservative since I don't know what industry/company I'll be working for after school. I figure something a bit more conservative or a classic look will be acceptable anywhere. You do pique my interest in other styles though, so I'll do some research on the ones you've listed.

Thanks again for the input gents.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Comrade - thanks for the reply. My intent was to be a bit conservative since I don't know what industry/company I'll be working for after school. I figure something a bit more conservative or a classic look will be acceptable anywhere. You do pique my interest in other styles though, so I'll do some research on the ones you've listed.

Thanks again for the input gents.

It is probably wise to follow this approach in the first instance; no one will think ill of this at interview when still at University and in five years time you can move on and say exactly the same thing to others. These are welcome in most places save possibly IT at which the only criteria is the length of your pony tail.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BaryKeller