• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I went full Cutler and Gross last year, can’t go wrong with them

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like Barton Perreira too for sunglasses. Not sure how well some of their styles might map to regular glasses. There's always Salt too. I think they're still independent.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
subbed

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
xfZeyt3l.jpg

went with mykita. also went with aviators since people were badmouthing them in the other thread.

thanks all.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
so seriously. how do you make a wtb thread in b&s?

wtb size 36/46 spring summer suit

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that was quick! when do you get the lenses made

yes, there is an excellent shop one block from my office, so i just went on my lunch. i have an eye exam next thursday, so probably 2 weeks after that. they came with clips, though, so i'll just be wearing them as sunglasses until then.

yoshimagikmagik

Reaction score
Okay, so I don't know where this fits so please let me know if I should move this comment/question.

Essentially, I'm curious about people's thoughts about high fashion vs fast fashion differences in quality vs cost.

This all started from a comment from @Purplelabel and @yunBW. In the whether I should buy thread, you both mentioned that you could find similar cardigans at thrift stores or cheaper outlets. To me, this gets at a more basic question (and perhaps dumb question) that I've been pondering for a while since I've been an observer on this forum: how much quality difference is there really between high fashion and cheap mall options? I would say more of the fashion forward designers like Kapital, Needles, Rick Owens, etc. this statement applies less to because they are so unique that few analogues are out there, and the ones that are do a miserable job of replicating them. On the other hand, there are tons of more conservative brands of high fashion like Common Projects, Ami, Barena - the list could endlessly go on - where the differences between their pieces and what you find at a fast fashion or a thrift store outlet (recognizing those two outlets are definitely very different) are decidedly much more subtle. In my (very limited) view, it is not that these high end brands are not superior on the classic dimensions by which one judges clothing quality - construction, materials, fit, and brand name. Rather, my contention is that the superiority, on the whole, is relatively marginal compared to the difference in price of an Urban Outfitters or a Uniqlo or a Topman camel coat compared to an Our Legacy one.

Okay, so that's the question, do you generally agree with this contention that on the whole for more conservative premium menswear that the benefits over fast fashion are more marginal, especially when considering the price differerential between the two? By the way, this by no means is a value statement, the marginality of that benefit does not in any way mean that is is not "worth it". Somewhat better fit can be worth 4x the cost to some people, that's more subjective.

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd expect the our legacy camel coat to have a more interesting camel to it but i wouldn't be surprised if the uniqlo one was more durable

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elizabetgonzale