• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Preventing fades in selvedge denim

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks guys. @dieworkwear I know precious little about denim. I ended up at Gustin primarily for the slim cut and the range of dark denims. I certainly do not need stiff so raw is not requisite. I skim J crew every once in a while but their offerings are pedestrian and not in the colors that I am looking for.

Just embrace the fades. Denim looks so much better broken in. Harder to wear them with sport coats that way, but it looks great with casualwear.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I shellac my denim so it doesn't fade. It's foolproof.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I take my jeans off whenever I move. Really prevents fading.

Last edited:

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Good thread

Instead of trying to avoid fading, is it possible to redye raw denim ?
Black would be easiest obviously to get a colour match but how homogeneous would it turn out ?

TomCollinz

Reaction score
That may help a little, but at the heart of it, you're essentially asking if there's a way to stop clothes from wearing down. Indigo denim fades when the white core is exposed. Since indigo doesn't completely penetrate the yarn, the material's white core is revealed when the top surface wears down.

There's no treatment you can apply to sink the indigo in further. Or prevent the yarn from wearing down.

You may be able to minimize how much indigo is lost through the cleaning process (I imagine that's what people are trying to do with the vinegar stuff). If that's your goal, maybe look into dry cleaning? But there's nothing you can do to stop yarns from wearing down.

That said, some jeans fade faster than others. The PBJ NCs mentioned above, for example, are dyed with indanthrene, not indigo, which supposedly penetrates the yarn more.

If you're up for non-blue jeans, I also find that certain black jeans keep their color for a long time. 3sixteen's black warp/ black weft denim (what they call their double black denim) is really, really hard to fade.

I understand that most selvege denim is rope dyed, leaving the core white, allowing for the high contrast fading. Are there brands that vat-dye their selvedge denim like most mass-produced jeans for less fading?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand that most selvege denim is rope dyed, leaving the core white, allowing for the high contrast fading. Are there brands that vat-dye their selvedge denim like most mass-produced jeans for less fading?

that a fabric is selvedge has zero to do with how it might take dye . indigo is a fugitive dye that's why it crocks and fades .

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdp