• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We already had every now and then polls about the favourite frames in our collection.

Which are, instead, the most coveted models, the so called "grails"?

Mine are Fellini Seed, Ascari and Loewy (currently Devaux) Vintage Tort.

fmvazquez

Reaction score
We already had every now and then polls about the favourite frames in our collection.

Which are, instead, the most coveted models, the so called "grails"?

Mine are Fellini Seed, Ascari and Loewy (currently Devaux) Vintage Tort.
Have two of those ;)
I am happy with my collection, keeping an eye on new releases....
Devaux in Marigold would be nice though!

RonF

Reaction score
IMG_1384.jpeg

IMG_1385.jpeg
IMG_1386.jpeg

IMG_1387.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpeg

So, can it be that the pricey LF range uses “fake” or “poor quality” turquoise? The images you see are a very new Rawlins in Bloodstone. Worn maybe 6 times. No chemicals are harsh sunlight. I noticed today that one side has turned white, where turquoise used to be (both sides used to look like the first pic). It’s just fading (or peeling) away on one side, very quickly.

When I look up: “turquoise turning white”….I find this…

Because turquoise is a very porous material, it is vulnerable to environmental factors such as light, heat, and chemicals. Exposure to household cleaners, beauty products, and natural skin oils can contribute to color changes.

While the highest quality of “precious” turquoise is more resistant to color change, lesser quality stones are often treated with a process called stabilization to help prevent oxidation. Although this helps stabilize the natural colors, special care is needed to protect the treatment. This includes avoiding cleaning solvents, chemicals, oils, and heat, which can all contribute to permanent changes in your turquoise’s color.

Identifying Authentic Turquoise

Color changes can also be a result of imitation turquoise. For example, when turquoise turns white, it is most likely howlite, a white calcium carbonate mineral dyed to look like turquoise. Counterfeit turquoise contributes to color instability, impacts value, and can even release toxins.

Surprised and disappointed, considering the price for an LF.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2176171

View attachment 2176173 View attachment 2176175
View attachment 2176177
View attachment 2176179
So, can it be that the pricey LF range uses “fake” or “poor quality” turquoise? The images you see are a very new Rawlins in Bloodstone. Worn maybe 6 times. No chemicals are harsh sunlight. I noticed today that one side has turned white, where turquoise used to be (both sides used to look like the first pic). It’s just fading (or peeling) away on one side, very quickly.

Because turquoise is a very porous material, it is vulnerable to environmental factors such as light, heat, and chemicals. Exposure to household cleaners, beauty products, and natural skin oils can contribute to color changes.

While the highest quality of “precious” turquoise is more resistant to color change, lesser quality stones are often treated with a process called stabilization to help prevent oxidation. Although this helps stabilize the natural colors, special care is needed to protect the treatment. This includes avoiding cleaning solvents, chemicals, oils, and heat, which can all contribute to permanent changes in your turquoise’s color.

Color changes can also be a result of imitation turquoise. For example, when turquoise turns white, it is most likely howlite, a white calcium carbonate mineral dyed to look like turquoise. Counterfeit turquoise contributes to color instability, impacts value, and can even release toxins.

Wow, I can well understand your disappointment. Thankfully I'm not into that aesthetics.

obecity

Reaction score
View attachment 2176171

View attachment 2176177
View attachment 2176179

Oh dang. DAAAAANG! That needs to be address by Jacques. For the price, that shouldn’t happen.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2176171

View attachment 2176177
View attachment 2176179

Think you should try emailing and sending pics and try to get to the bottom of it. They likely won’t replace anything (but you never know), but raising the issue may help.

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While large turquoise is expensive, tiny cabochons that size run less than a dollar in bulk. I can't imagine they're saving anything by going fake, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're stabilized.

RonF

Reaction score
I’ll reach out to my contact at JMM. See if there is anything that can be done. But it’s definitely surprising to have this happen. For the price, I would expect top tier materials. Thanks for all the comments!

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The VT seems so universally popular I’m surprised JMM hasn’t got wind of it and released more options.

Yes, Vintage Tort seems to be everybody's darling and every classic in that colourway would be a bestseller. However I wonder if it's not its rarity a relevant reason for its desirability.

There has been a lot of fuss about Dealan and Molino in VT3, but, apparently, that colourway was not on par with the original VT.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO the most beautiful coloring of all is Ash and Agar...
even Demi Tortoise is very beautiful

They're beautiful indeed, but it's always tough to pick the most attractive ones. I would add Hickory, Dark Havana and Argyle. Then London, Seed, Tan, Marigold, Rootbeer, Colosseum, Tempest...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads