• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This will likely depend on the shape of your feet. What’s your volume and instep like? For me I have to go down 1 full size size from my brannock with the Traveler. 1/2 size down from my Leo last size. Even then, at least with the CXL version, I have heel slip unless wearing cushioned socks. But most people seem to be fine using the same size as they do on the Leo last.
It must be pure hell to be an online only retailer of footwear, we are all so different. You are 1/2 down from Leo, I'm same as Leo, which is 1/2 down from Brannock and Leo is different than Alden or AE sizing......sometimes I feel like a cardboard box might be the best bet, just stuff it with packing bubble wrap and carry on :)

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shoe, I have a thing for Ivory suede and love mine.You are going to love yours, and sale price really helps. Almost a steal.....
It's not my favorite shade, but suede Travelers are like heaven on my feet. And who doesn't like variety?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need loafer advice. Since dialing down my Leo last to 8.5E, I am thinking I should order the travelers in the same size. My 9D traveler experience shows that heel slip was more pronounced with the cxl than suede. Maybe it was the wrong size but could also just be the design of unlined suede vs lined cxl. Nevertheless, have folks experienced less heel slip with the cxl loafers over time?

Like others have said, it's going to be unique for the individual, but I'll speak to my own experience.

On the black CXL diesel, dune cxl PTB & dune cxl LWB I went from a brannock 7.5C to a 6.5D. I have high insteps but very low volume, skinny feet. All three were a bastard of a break-in process for me but ultimately feel very generous in terms of room. With the travelers, I went with a 6.5D in the dune cxl and crimson cxl. Both out of the box were very stiff, far tighter at the vamp, far tighter at the heel, and basically almost to the wire in terms of fit. After breaking them in, they're much better, but the heel is still tighter and the vamp is still tighter (significantly) than any of the 3 Leo-lasted pairs. Most notably is I found the Travelers to run like 1/8 of a length shorter which could make or break the fit for someone.

Hope this helps. Have not tried the suede but the CXL is damn good on these.

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I’d stick with my Leo size and then try being patient with the break in process. I’d only give this consideration to travelers since no other loafer in the market nails the design for me. It’s a handsomely masculine design that looks like an Indy boot turned into a loafer.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I’d stick with my Leo size and then try being patient with the break in process. I’d only give this consideration to travelers since no other loafer in the market nails the design for me. It’s a handsomely masculine design that looks like an Indy boot turned into a loafer.
Never thought of it that way, Indy boot turns loafer. Kind of like an Alden LHS loafer in my book, but at a more accessible price point. Overall a great loafer on a good last, from an awesome company.....what could go wrong?

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I gave in to the final sale prices and ordered Dune CXL LWB and Navy CXL PTB (2nd and 3rd pairs after Dune Traveller Pennys). Dune colour is really growing on me and always wanted a navy shoe and at the final sale prices this seemed to be a no brainer. A bit of FOMO there as well. They are delivered to a USA warehouse and are now on their way to me in Singapore. With shipping delays etc hopefully they dont take too much time as I am eagerly waiting for them.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Need loafer advice. Since dialing down my Leo last to 8.5E, I am thinking I should order the travelers in the same size. My 9D traveler experience shows that heel slip was more pronounced with the cxl than suede. Maybe it was the wrong size but could also just be the design of unlined suede vs lined cxl. Nevertheless, have folks experienced less heel slip with the cxl loafers over time?

Our suede loafers are actually still lined but this can be the case. Chromexcel will have more variance between pairs because of the leather structure or how tight the grain is. The suede will usually be more consistent because the leather itself is.

Most of the time, customers are wearing the same size in the Alexander last as the Leo. Another 20-30% are going down half a size. Rarely do we see people go up for the Alexander.

I have a feeling an 8.5E will feel very similar to the 9D for you but the shorter overall length may help. The instep will be just as full though. If the 9D loafer feels full from the first time you slip it on, you may end up just needing an 8.5D in the loafer. Hope this helps.

Happy Easter Sunday everyone.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The words every married man here understands......"You know what WE should do today......" Which, of course, means you know what YOU should do today. So Diesel boots for defrosting the freezer in the garage.
IMG_2017.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member